Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1223-1249
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. 10th ed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2021.
- The state of diabetes treatment coverage in 55 low-income and middle-income countries: a cross-sectional study of nationally representative, individual-level data in 680 102 adults.The Lancet Healthy Longevity. 2021; 2: e340-e351
- Health system performance for people with diabetes in 28 low- and middle-income countries: A cross-sectional study of nationally representative surveys.PLoS Med. 2019; 16: e1002751
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global, regional and country-level diabetes prevalence estimates for 2021 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2022; 183109119
- Diabetes in older people: new insights and remaining challenges.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 275-285
- Diabetes and Cause-Specific Mortality in Mexico City.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1961-1971
- Body-mass index, blood pressure, diabetes and cardiovascular mortality in Cuba: prospective study of 146,556 participants.BMC Public Health. 2021; 21: 963
- Association Between Diabetes and Cause-Specific Mortality in Rural and Urban Areas of China.JAMA. 2017; 317: 280-289
- Contrasting Associations Between Diabetes and Cardiovascular Mortality Rates in Low-, Middle-, and High-Income Countries: Cohort Study Data From 143,567 Individuals in 21 Countries in the PURE Study.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 3094-3101
- Diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa – from policy to practice to progress: targeting the existing gaps for future care for diabetes.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2017; 22: 247-263
- Profile: Agincourt health and socio-demographic surveillance system.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 988-1001
Gómez-Olivé FX, Montana L, Wagner RG, Kabudula CW, Rohr JK, Kahn K, et al. Cohort Profile: Health and Ageing in Africa: a Longitudinal Study of an INDEPTH Community in South Africa (HAALSI). Int J Epidemiol [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2018 Jan 14]; Available from: https://academic.oup.com/ije/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ije/dyx247/4791962.
- STUDIES OF ILLNESS IN THE AGED. THE INDEX OF ADL: A STANDARDIZED MEASURE OF BIOLOGICAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL FUNCTION.JAMA. 1963; 21: 914-919
- Physical Function in an Aging Population in Rural South Africa: Findings From HAALSI and Cross-National Comparisons With HRS Sister Studies.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci [Internet]. 2017; ([cited 2017 Jun 9]; Available from:)https://academic.oup.com/psychsocgerontology/article/doi/10.1093/geronb/gbx030/3091725/Physical-Function-in-an-Aging-Population-in-Rural
- The 2012 SEMDSA Guideline for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes.Journal of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes in South Africa. 2012; 17: 61-62
World Health Organization, International Diabetes Federation. Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycaemia : report of a WHO/IDF consultation. 2006 [cited 2022 Feb 21]; Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43588.
- Estimation of multi-state life table functions and their variability from complex survey data using the SPACE Program.Demogr Res. 2010; 26: 129-157
Peterson B, Harrell FE. Partial Proportional Odds Models for Ordinal Response Variables. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C (Applied Statistics). 1990;39(2):205–17.
Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies (Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health). Wave 2 Sample Weights Documentation, HAALSI Wave 2 Survey [Internet]. V3 ed. Harvard Dataverse; 2021 Oct. Available from: https://doi.org/10.7910/DVN/UELYSV.
- Review of inverse probability weighting for dealing with missing data.Stat Methods Med Res. 2013; 22: 278-295
- SAS Statistical Software: Release 9.4.SAS Institute. 2020;
- Measuring the impact of diabetes on life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy among older adults in Mexico.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2010; 65B: 381-389
- Burden of diabetes in Australia: life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy in adults with diabetes.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 1437-1445
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on life expectancy and health-adjusted life expectancy in Canada.Popul Health Metr. 2012; 10: 7
- Disability-Free Life-Years Lost Among Adults Aged ≥50 Years With and Without Diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1222-1229
- The ART advantage: healthcare utilization for diabetes and hypertension in rural South Africa.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017; 75: 561-567
- Prevalence and unmet need for diabetes care across the care continuum in a national sample of South African adults: Evidence from the SANHANES-1, 2011–2012.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0184264
- Hypertension and diabetes control along the HIV care cascade in rural South Africa.J Int AIDS Soc. 2019; 22: e25213
- Diabetes in ageing: pathways for developing the evidence base for clinical guidance.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020; 8: 855-867
- Multimorbidity and mortality in an older, rural black South African population cohort with high prevalence of HIV findings from the HAALSI Study.BMJ Open. 2021; 11: e047777
Payne C, Houle B, Chinogurei C, Riumallo-Herl C, Kabudula C, Kobayashi L, et al. Differences in healthy longevity by HIV status and viral load among older South African adults: an observational cohort modelling study. The Lancet HIV. 2022;In Press.
- Effects of diabetes definition on global surveillance of diabetes prevalence and diagnosis: a pooled analysis of 96 population-based studies with 331 288 participants.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 624-637
American Diabetes Association. 2. Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2021. Diabetes Care. 2021 Jan;44(Suppl 1):S15–33.
WHO. HEARTS D: diagnosis and management of type 2 diabetes [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2020 [cited 2022 Apr 27]. Available from: https://www.who.int/publications-detail-redirect/who-ucn-ncd-20.1.
- A new method for correcting under-estimation of disabled life expectancy and an application to the chinese oldest-old.Demography. 2004; 41: 335-361