Abbreviations:BMI (Body mass index), CHD (Coronary heart disease), CV (Cardiovascular), DBP (Diastolic blood pressure), FRS (Framingham risk score), HbA1c (Hemoglobin A1c), HDL-c (High density lipoprotein cholesterol), HPB (Health Promotion Board), HR (Hazard ratio), IQR (Inter quartile range), LDL-c (Low density lipoprotein cholesterol), MOH (Ministry of Health), PAID (Problem Areas in Diabetes), QoL (Quality of life), SBP (Systolic blood pressure), T2DM (Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus), TC (Total cholesterol), TG (Triglyceride), WHO (World Health Organisation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Mathers C, Stevens G, Mascarenhas M. Global health risks: Mortality and burden of disease attributable to select major risks. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2009.
- When Is Diabetes Distress Clinically Meaningful? Establishing cut points for the Diabetes Distress Scale.Diabetes Care. 2012 Feb; 35: 259-264
- Prevalence and determinants of diabetes distress in patients of diabetes mellitus in a tertiary care centre.Diabetes Metab Syndr. May 2018; 12: 333-336
- The prevalence of diabetes-specific emotional distress in people with Type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabet Med. 2017 Nov; 34: 1508-1520
- Depression in diabetes: have we been missing something important?.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 236-239
- Predicting disease distress among primary care patients with type 2 diabetes: a longitudinal study.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 622-627
International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes Atlas. 8th ed. Belgium: IDF; 2017.
Özcan B, Rutters F, Snoek FJ, et al. High Diabetes Distress Among Ethnic Minorities Is Not Explained by Metabolic, Cardiovascular, or Lifestyle Factors: Findings From the Dutch Diabetes Pearl Cohort. Diabetes Care. 2018 Jun, dc172181.
- Cultural Differences in Psychological Distress Between Asian and Caucasian American College Students.J Multicultural Counsell Dev. 1993 Jul; 21: 182-190
Singapore Residents By Age Group, Ethnic Group And Gender, End June, Annual. [Accessed on 23 Mar 2019] Available from https://data.gov.sg/dataset/resident-population-by-ethnicity-gender-and-age-group?view_id=8ff89d3f-48c8-46e4-8a4d-a8b9f152976f&resource_id=f9dbfc75-a2dc-42af-9f50-425e4107ae84.
- Factors associated with diabetes-related distress over time among patients with T2DM in a tertiary hospital in Singapore.BMC Endocr Disord. 2017 Jun; 17: 36
Primary Care Survey 2014. Health Information Division. Ministry of Health, Singapore.
- Phobic anxiety and risk of coronary heart disease and sudden cardiac death among women.Circulation. 2005; 111: 480-487
- Depression and risk of stroke morbidity and mortality: a meta-analysis and systematic review.J Am Med Assoc. 2011; 306: 1241-1249
- Psychological Distress and Cardiovascular Disease.J Clin Outcomes Manage: J Clin Outcomes. 2015 Sep; 22: 421-431
- What predicts depression in cardiac patients: sociodemographic factors, disease severity or theoretical vulnerabilities?.Psychol Health. 2011; 26: 619-634
- The time has come for physicians to take notice: the impact of psychosocial stressors on the heart.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 704-712
- Matters of the heart: advancing psychological perspectives on cardiovascular diseases.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2013; 8: 676-678
- The impact of an acute cardiac event on the partners of patients: A systematic review.Health Psychol Rev. 2009; 3: 1-84
- Persistent depression affects adherence to secondary prevention behaviors after acute coronary syndromes.J General Internal Med. 2006; 21: 1178-1183
- Comorbid depression and health-related quality of life in patients with coronary artery disease.J Psychosom Res. 2007; 62: 401-410
- Depression as a risk factor for mortality in patients with coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis.Psychosom Med. 2004; 66: 802-813
- Prognostic association of depression following myocardial infarction with mortality and cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis.Psychosom Med. 2004; 66: 814-822
- Target for control in Diabetes Mellitus.Singapore Family Physician. 2008; 34: 21-23
- Clinical depression versus distress among patients with type 2 diabetes: not just a question of semantics.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 542-548
- REDEEM: A Pragmatic Trial to Reduce Diabetes Distress.Diabetes Care. 2013 Sep; 36: 2551-2558
Ministry of Health, Singapore. MOH Clinical Practice Guidelines – Diabetes Mellitus 1/2014. [Accessed on 5 Jan 2019].
Ministry of Health, Singapore. MOH Clinical Practice Guidelines – Lipids 2/2016. [Accessed on 5 Jan 2019].
- Psychometric Properties of the Problem Areas in Diabetes (PAID) Instrument in Singapore.PLoSONE. 2015 Sep; 10: e0136759
- Psychometric properties of the Chinese version of the Problem Areas in Diabetes scale (SG-PAID-C) among high-risk polypharmacy patients with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes in Singapore.J Diabetes Invest. 2017 Mar; 8: 235-242
- Examining the Problem Areas In Diabetes scale (MY-PAID-20) among Malay T2DM patients.Int J Biol Biomed Eng. 2014 Jan; 8: 157-163
- How to screen for depression and emotional problems in patients with diabetes: Comparison of screening characteristics of depression questionnaires, measurement of diabetes-specific emotional problems and standard clinical assessment.Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 469-477
Problem Areas in Diabetes (PAID) questionnaire. DAWN study. [Accessed on 12 Feb 2019] Available from http://www.dawnstudy.com/content/dam/Dawnstudy/AFFILIATE/www-dawnstudy-com/Home/TOOLSANDRESOURCES/Documents/PAID_problem_areas_in_diabetes_questionnaire.pdf.
Charan J, Biswas T. How to Calculate Sample Size for Different Study Designs in Medical Research? Indian J Psychol Med. 2013 Apr-Jun;35(2):121-6.
- Meta-analysis of perceived stress and its association with incident coronary heart disease.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 110: 1711-1716
- Age group differences in psychological distress: the role of psychosocial risk factors that vary with age.Psychol Med. 2005 Sep; 35: 1253-1263
- Factors Associated with Diabetes-related Distress: Implications for Diabetes Self-Management.Soc Work Health Care. 2014; 53: 364-381
- Psychological distress as a risk factor for cardiovascular events: pathophysiological and behavioral mechanisms.J American College Cardiol. 2008; 52: 2156-2162
- Stress and cardiovascular disease.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2012; 9: 360-370
- Measurement of psychological adjustment to diabetes with the diabetes acceptance scale.J Diabetes Complications. 2018 Apr; 32: 384-392
Kalra S, Jena BN, Yeravdekar R. Emotional and Psychological Needs of People with Diabetes. Indian J Endocrinol Metabolism. 2018 Sep-Oct;22(5):696-704.
American Diabetes Association: Denial. [Accessed on 2 Mar 2019] Available from http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/mental-health/denial.html.
- Depression and poor glycemic control: a meta-analytic review of the literature.Diabetes Care. 2000 Jul; 23: 934-942
Lustman PJ, Clouse RE. Depression in diabetic patients: the relationship between mood and glycemic control. J Diabetes Compl. 2005 Mar-Apr;19(2):113-22.
- Barriers to Optimal Control of Type 2 Diabetes in Malaysian Malay Patients. Global.J Health Sci. 2009 Oct; 1
- Predictors of diabetes distress in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Int J Res Med Sci. 2014 May; 2: 631-638
- Diabetes burden and diabetes distress: The buffering effect of social support.Ann Behav Med. 2014 Oct; 48: 145-155
- The relationship between changes in depression symptoms and changes in health risk behaviors in patients with diabetes.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010 May; 25: 466-475