- •Comparison of incidence/frequency 2020/2021 with long-term trends (2011–2019)
- •The observed diabetes incidence in 2020/2021 was 13%/20% higher than predicted.
- •The prevalence of autoantibody-negative diabetes was not higher than predicted.
- •Ketoacidosis incidence in 2020/2021 was 34%/37% higher than expected.
- •Seasonal patterns have substantially changed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Abbreviations:BMI-SDS (body mass index standard deviation score), COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019), DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis), Diff (difference(s)), DPV (German Diabetes Prospective Follow-up Registry, i.e. “Diabetes-Patienten-Verlaufsdokumentation”), GADA (glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies), IA2A (tyrosine phosphatase autoantibodies), IAA (insulin autoantibody), ICA (islet cell antibody), IRR (incidence rate ratio), PRR (prevalence rate ratio), PY (person-years), sDKA (severe diabetic ketoacidosis), SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus2), ZnT8A (zinc transporter 8 autoantibodies)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Viruses in type 1 diabetes.Pediatr Diabetes. 2016; 17: 56-64
- Examination of trends in diabetes incidence among children during the COVID-19 pandemic in Ontario, Canada, from March 2020 to September 2021.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5: e2223394
- Relation of Incident Type 1 diabetes to recent COVID-19 infection. Cohort study using e-health record linkage in Scotland.Diabetes Care. 2022;
- Risk for newly diagnosed diabetes 30 days after SARS-CoV-2 infection among persons aged <18 years - United States, March 1, 2020-June 28, 2021.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2022; 71: 59-65
- Incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic in Germany. Results from the DPV Registry.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: 1762-1771
- New-onset type 1 diabetes in Finnish children during the COVID-19 pandemic.Arch Dis Child. 2022; 107: 180-185
- Higher rates of diabetic ketoacidosis and admission to the paediatric intensive care unit among newly diagnosed children with type 1 diabetes in Kuwait during the COVID-19 pandemic.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2022; 38: e3506
- Increase in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes in youth during the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. A multi-center analysis.Pediatr Diabetes. 2022; 23: 433-438
- Incidence of new-onset Type 1 diabetes among US children during the COVID-19 global pandemic.JAMA Pediatr. 2022; 176: 414-415
- Changes in the presentation of newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes in children during the COVID-19 pandemic in a tertiary center in Southern Turkey.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2021; 34: 1303-1309
- Impact of COVID-19 on new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus – a one-year prospective study.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2021; 25: 5928-5935
- Type 1 diabetes onset in Lombardy region, Italy, during the COVID-19 pandemic. The double-wave occurrence.EClinicalMedicine. 2021; 39101067
- Increased incidence of Type 1 diabetes during the COVID-19 pandemic in Romanian children.Medicina (Kaunas). 2021; 57: 973
- Diabetic ketoacidosis at type 1 diabetes diagnosis in children during the COVID-19 pandemic.Pediatr Diabetes. 2021; 22: 552-557
- Diagnosis of type 1 diabetes during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. Does lockdown affect the incidence and clinical status of patients.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2021; 30: 127-134
- Presentations, complications, and challenges encountered during management of Type 1 diabetes in Egyptian children during COVID-19 pandemic. A single-center experience.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2022; 13814991
- Increased incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes during the COVID-19 pandemic. Figures from an Italian tertiary care center.J Diabetes. 2022; 14: 562-563
- Frequency of autoantibody-Negative Type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents, and young adults during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in Germany.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: 1540-1546
- Diabetic ketoacidosis at manifestation of Type 1 diabetes in childhood and adolescence—incidence and risk factors.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2021; 118: 367-372
- Temporal trends in diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of paediatric type 1 diabetes between 2006 and 2016. Results from 13 countries in three continents.Diabetologia. 2020; 63: 1530-1541
- Previous diabetic ketoacidosis as a risk factor for recurrence in a large prospective contemporary pediatric cohort. Results from the DPV initiative.Pediatr Diabetes. 2021; 22: 455-462
- Ketoacidosis at onset of type 1 diabetes is a predictor of long-term glycemic control.Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 19: 320-328
- Medical costs among youth younger than 20 years of age with and without diabetic ketoacidosis at the time of diabetes diagnosis.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 2256-2261
- Incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis among pediatrics With type 1 diabetes prior to and during COVID-19 pandemic. A meta-analysis of observational studies.Front Endocrinol. 2022; 13856958
Kamrath C, Rosenbauer J, Eckert AJ, Pappa A, Reschke F, Rohrer TR, et al. Incidence of COVID-19 and Risk of diabetic ketoacidosis in new-onset Type 1 diabetes. Pediatrics 2021;148:e2021050856.
- Alarming increase of ketoacidosis prevalence at Type 1 diabetes-onset in Austria-results from a nationwide registry.Front Pediatr. 2022; 10820156
- Has the COVID-19 pandemic affected the prevalence of diabetic ketoacidosis in polish children with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes? An example of the largest polish pediatric diabetes center (Upper Silesia-Katowice, Poland).Healthcare (Basel). 2022; 10: 348
- Peculiar characteristics of new-onset Type 1 Diabetes during COVID-19 pandemic.Ital J Pediatr. 2022; 48: 26
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on long-term trends in the prevalence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of paediatric type 1 diabetes. An international multicentre study based on data from 13 national diabetes registries.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2022; 10: 786-794
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE). Explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: W163-W194
- Standardized documentation in pediatric diabetology. Experience from Austria and Germany.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2016; 10: 1042-1049
German Federal Statistical Office. Population Table 12411-0012. https://www-genesis.destatis.de/genesis//online?operation=table&code=12411-0012&bypass=true&levelindex=1&levelid=1649311903784#abreadcrumb. Accessed May 25, 2022.
- Body mass index percentiles for children and adolescents in Germany based on a nationally representative sample (KiGGS 2003–2006).Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010; 64: 341-349
The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group; Nathan DM, Genuth S, Lachin J, Cleary P, Crofford O, Davis M, et al. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. N Engl J Med 1993;329:977–986.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis and the hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state.Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 2018: 155-177
- A public health antibody screening indicates a 6-fold higher SARS-CoV-2 exposure rate than reported cases in children. 2021; 2: 149-163.e4
Rewers M, Bonifacio E, Ewald D, Geno Rasmussen C, Jia X, Pyle L, et al. SARS-CoV-2 Infections and presymptomatic Type 1 Diabetes autoimmunity in children and adolescents From Colorado, USA, and Bavaria, Germany. JAMA 2022:e2214092.
- An update on the interaction between COVID-19, vaccines, and diabetic kidney disease.Front Immunol. 2022; 13999534
- Increase in the diagnosis and severity of presentation of pediatric Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes during the COVID-19 pandemic.Horm Res Paediatr. 2021; 94: 275-284
- The global impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the incidence of pediatric new-onset type 1 diabetes and ketoacidosis. A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Med Virol. 2022; 94: 5112-5127
- Natural immunity. Biodiversity loss and inflammatory diseases are two global megatrends that might be related.EMBO Rep. 2011; 12: 1089-1093
- Seasonality in the manifestation of type 1 diabetes varies according to age at diagnosis in Finnish children.Acta Paediatr. 2022; 111: 1061-1069
- The changing incidence of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes in Wales. Effect of gender and season at diagnosis and birth.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 175108739
- Time Trends, regional variability and seasonality regarding the incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in Romanian children aged 0–14 Years, between 1996 and 2015.J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2018; 10: 92-99
- Seasonal variation in month of diagnosis in children with type 1 diabetes registered in 23 European centers during 1989–2008. Little short-term influence of sunshine hours or average temperature.Pediatr Diabetes. 2015; 16: 573-580
- Is it possible to prevent diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of pediatric type 1 diabetes? Lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic.Monatsschr Kinderheilkd. 2021; 169: 451-460
- The silent epidemic of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents in Italy during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2022; 13878634
- Glycated hemoglobin at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes and at follow-up in children and adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic in Germany.Pediatr Diabetes. 2022; 23: 749-753
- Stages of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents.Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 2018: 20-27
- Effectiveness of ketoacidosis prevention campaigns at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children. A systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 175108838
- Systematic review of publicity interventions to increase awareness amongst healthcare professionals and the public to promote earlier diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children and young people.Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 19: 566-573