- •Persistent NAFLD showed increased risk of myocardial infarction, stroke, heart failure, and mortality compared with non-NAFLD.
- •Regression NAFLD was associated with decreased risk HF and mortality compared with persistent NAFLD.
- •Persistent hepatic fibrosis was associated with increased risk of stroke, heart failure and mortality compared with non-fibrosis.
- •Compared with persistent hepatic fibrosis, regression of hepatic fibrosis demonstrated decreased risk of MI, stroke, HF, and mortality.
- •Changes in hepatic steatosis and fibrosis based on FLI or BARD score could identify higher risk group for CVD and mortality among new-onset T2DM.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), CVD (cardiovascular disease), FLI (fatty liver index), HF (heart failure), HR (hazard ratio), MI (myocardial infarction), NAFLD (Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular risk: pathophysiological mechanisms and implications.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 425-443https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2016.04.005
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and its relationship with cardiovascular disease and other extrahepatic diseases.Gut. 2017; 66: 1138-1153https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2017-313884
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a spectrum of clinical and pathological severity.Gastroenterology. 1999; 116: 1413-1419https://doi.org/10.1016/s0016-5085(99)70506-8
- Long-term follow-up of patients with NAFLD and elevated liver enzymes.Hepatology. 2006; 44: 865-873
- NAFLD: a multisystem disease.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: S47-S64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2014.12.012
- Fibrosis stage is the strongest predictor for disease-specific mortality in NAFLD after up to 33 years of follow-up.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 1547-1554
- Global epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease-Meta-analytic assessment of prevalence, incidence, and outcomes.Hepatology. 2016; 64: 73-84https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.28431
- Predictors for incidence and remission of NAFLD in the general population during a seven-year prospective follow-up.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 1145-1151
- Incidence and natural course of fatty liver in the general population: the Dionysos study.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 1387-1391
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease incidence, remission and risk factors among a general Chinese population with a 6-year follow-up.Sci Rep. 2018; 8https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-25641-z
- The metabolic syndrome as a predictor of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 722https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-143-10-200511150-00009
- Fibrosis progression in nonalcoholic fatty liver vs nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of paired-biopsy studies.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 13: 643-654
- Independent Association Between Improvement of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Reduced Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1673-1679https://doi.org/10.2337/dc15-0140
- Resolution of fatty liver and weight loss: Independent associations with changes in serum lipids and apolipoproteins.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 272: 47-53
- The Fatty Liver Index: a simple and accurate predictor of hepatic steatosis in the general population.BMC Gastroenterol. 2006; 6: 33https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230x-6-33
- Development and validation of a simple NAFLD clinical scoring system for identifying patients without advanced disease.Gut. 2008; 57: 1441-1447https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2007.146019
- The association of hepatic steatosis and fibrosis with heart failure and mortality.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2021; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-021-01374-8
- The associations of hepatic steatosis and fibrosis using fatty liver index and BARD score with cardiovascular outcomes and mortality in patients with new-onset type 2 diabetes: a nationwide cohort study.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2022; 21https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-022-01483-y
- Background and data configuration process of a nationwide population-based study using the korean national health insurance system.Diabetes Metab J. 2014; 38: 395https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2014.38.5.395
- Early mortality and cardiovascular disease, varied association with body mass index and its changes in insulin-treated diabetes: a nationwide study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2021; 45: 2482-2489
- Cardioprotective effects of light-moderate consumption of alcohol: a review of putative mechanisms.Alcohol Alcohol. 2002; 37: 409-415https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/37.5.409
- Association between alcohol consumption pattern and the incidence risk of type 2 diabetes in Korean men: A 12-years follow-up study.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 7322https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-07549-2
- Cholesterol variability and the risk of mortality, myocardial infarction, and stroke: a nationwide population-based study.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 3560-3566
- The diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: practice guidance from the american association for the study of liver diseases.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 328-357
- Recommendations for Diagnosis, Referral for Liver Biopsy, and Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1233-1246https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.06.013
- Comparison of fatty liver index with noninvasive methods for steatosis detection and quantification.World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19: 57-64https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v19.i1.57
- Comparison of FIB-4 index, NAFLD fibrosis score and BARD score for prediction of advanced fibrosis in adult patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a meta-analysis study.Hepatol Res. 2016; 46: 862-870
- Non-invasive assessment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: clinical prediction rules and blood-based biomarkers.J Hepatol. 2018; 68: 305-315https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2017.11.013
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: a position statement of the fatty liver research group of the korean diabetes association.Diabetes Metab J. 2020; 44: 382https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2020.0010
- Cardiovascular risk in fatty liver disease: the liver-heart axis-literature review.Front Med (Lausanne). 2019; 6: 202https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2019.00202
- Management of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: a Call to Action.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 419-430https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1787
- Randomized controlled trial testing the effects of weight loss on nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 121-129
- Weight loss through lifestyle modification significantly reduces features of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149: 367-378
- A placebo-controlled trial of pioglitazone in subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2297-2307
- A pilot study of pioglitazone treatment for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2004; 39: 188-196
- Thiazolidinediones and Advanced Liver Fibrosis in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis: a Meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 633-640https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9607
- A Placebo-Controlled Trial of Subcutaneous Semaglutide in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1113-1124
- Effect of Empagliflozin on Liver Steatosis and Fibrosis in Patients With Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Without Diabetes: a Randomized, Double-Blind.Placebo-Controlled Trial Adv Ther. 2020; 37: 4697-4708