- •The relationship between serum uric acid levels and incident type 2 diabetes remains controversial.
- •In men, serum uric acid levels were not associated with incident type 2 diabetes.
- •In women, serum uric acid levels were associated with incident type 2 diabetes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global, regional and country-level diabetes prevalence estimates for 2021 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2022; 183: 109119
- Japanese Guideline for the Management of Hyperuricemia and Gout: Second Edition.Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids. 2011; 30: 1018-1029
- Serum uric acid levels and risk of metabolic syndrome: A dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015; 100: 4198-4207
- Serum uric acid levels and risk for vascular diseases in patients with metabolic syndrome.J Rheumatol. 2007; 34: 1882-1887
- Prevalence of the Metabolic Syndrome in Individuals with Hyperuricemia.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 442-447https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AMJMED.2006.06.040
- Relationship between resistance to insulin-mediated glucose uptake, urinary uric acid clearance, and plasma uric acid concentration.JAMA. 1991; 266: 3008-3011
- Association between serum uric acid and development of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1737-1742
- Serum uric acid levels and incidence of impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes mellitus: A meta-analysis of cohort studies.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 101: 88-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.03.026
- Serum uric acid associates with the incidence of type 2 diabetes in a prospective cohort of middle-aged and elderly Chinese.Endocrine. 2011; 40: 109-116
- Serum Uric Acid Levels Predict New-Onset Type 2 Diabetes in Hospitalized Patients With Primary Hypertension: The MAGIC Study.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 126-128https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-0918
- Serum Uric Acid Levels and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Prospective Study.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 957-961https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2010.03.027
- High Serum Uric Acid as a Novel Risk Factor for Type 2 Diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 361-362https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-1276
- Prospective study of risk factors for development of non-insulin dependent diabetes in middle aged British men.BMJ. 1995; 310: 560-564https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.310.6979.560
- Serum uric acid and the risk for hypertension and Type 2 diabetes in Japanese men: The Osaka Health Survey.J Hypertens. 2001; 19: 1209-1215https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200107000-00005
- Elevated serum uric acid predicts impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes only among Japanese women undergoing health checkups.Diabetes Metab. 2011; 37: 252-258https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2010.10.009
Saltiel AR, Olefsky JM. Inflammatory mechanisms linking obesity and metabolic disease. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2017;127:1–4. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI92035
- Japanese Clinical Practice Guideline for Diabetes 2019.Diabetol Int. 2020; 11: 165-223
Ge T, Yang J, Zhou S, Wang Y, Li Y, Tong X. The Role of the Pentose Phosphate Pathway in Diabetes and Cancer. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020;11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2020.00365
- Molecular biological and clinical understanding of the pathophysiology and treatments of hyperuricemia and its association with metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular diseases and chronic kidney disease.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 9221
- Xanthine Oxidoreductase Is a Regulator of Adipogenesis and PPARγ Activity.Cell Metab. 2007; 5: 115-128
- Uric acid-dependent inhibition of AMP kinase induces hepatic glucose production in diabetes and starvation: Evolutionary implications of the uricase loss in hominids.FASEB Journal. 2014; 28: 3339-3350
- The Pathobiology of Diabetic Complications.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 1615-1625https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.54.6.1615
- Hyperuricemia as risk factor for coronary heart disease incidence and mortality in the general population: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (CCLM). 2016; 54https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2015-0523
- Hyperuricemia as a mediator of the proinflammatory endocrine imbalance in the adipose tissue in a murine model of the metabolic syndrome.Diabetes. 2011; 60: 1258-1269
- Hyperuricemia induces endothelial dysfunction.Kidney Int. 2005; 67: 1739-1742
- U-shaped relationship between serum uric acid levels and intrarenal hemodynamic parameters in healthy subjects.American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology. 2017; 312: F992-F997
- High Serum Uric Acid and Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Systemic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e56864
- Progression of glucose metabolism disorder and uric acid.GOUT AND NUCLEIC ACID METABOLISM. 2018; 42: 7-14https://doi.org/10.6032/gnam.42.7
- Serum uric acid, serum glucose and diabetes: relationships in a population study.Postgrad Med J. 1986; 62: 1001-1006https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.62.733.1001
- Hyperuricemia is a risk factor for the onset of impaired fasting glucose in men with a high plasma glucose level: A community-based study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e107882
- Early phase glucagon and insulin secretory abnormalities, but not incretin secretion, are similarly responsible for hyperglycemia after ingestion of nutrients.J Diabetes Complications. 2015; 29: 413-421
Sone H, Mizuno S, Ohashi Y, Yamada N. Type 2 diabetes prevalence in Asian subjects. Diabetes Care 2004;27:1251–2; author reply 1252. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1251
Hosoyamada M. Sex difference of serum urate level. n.d.
- Hyperuricemia as a risk factor on cardiovascular events in Taiwan: The Chin-Shan Community Cardiovascular Cohort Study.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 183: 147-155https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2005.01.018
Hakoda M, Masunari N, Yamada M, Fujiwara S, Suzuki G, Kodama K, et al. Serum Uric Acid Concentration as a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Mortality: A Longterm Cohort Study of Atomic Bomb Survivors. vol. 32. 2005.
- Serum Uric Acid and Cardiovascular Mortality.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2404https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.18.2404
- Haemoglobin A1c, fasting glucose, serum C-peptide and insulin resistance in relation to serum uric acid levels - The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Rheumatology. 2008; 47: 713-717https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ken066
- Alcohol intake and risk of incident gout in men: a prospective study.The Lancet. 2004; 363: 1277-1281https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16000-5
- Serum urate and its relationship with alcoholic beverage intake in men and women: findings from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) cohort.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 1965-1970
- Alcohol intake and the risk of hyperuricaemia: A 6-year prospective study in Japanese men.Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. 2012; 22: 989-996
- Correlation among fasting plasma glucose, two-hour plasma glucose levels in OGTT and HbA1c.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2000; 50: 225-230https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8227(00)00187-X