- •Probiotics and/or synbiotics are promising as a potential therapy for GDM.
- •The use of probiotics in women with GDM decreased fasting plasma glucose.
- •The use of probiotics and synbiotics in women with GDM reduced HOMA-IR.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Probiotic treatment for women with gestational diabetes to improve maternal and infant health and well-being.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 6: CD012970
İlgen N, Koçak DY. Gestasyonel diyabetin tanısında güncel yaklaşım, gebelere yönelik sağlıklı yaşam biçimi davranışları ve hemşirenin rolü. Ordu Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Çalışmaları Dergisi. 2019;2:181-3. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/914058.
İnternational Diabetes Federation. Gestational diabetes. 2019. https://www.idf.org/our-activities/care-prevention/gdm.html.
Davidson SJ, Barrett HL, Price SA, Callaway LK, Dekker Nitert M. Probiotics for preventing gestational diabetes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021;4:CD009951. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/33870484.
Association AD. Gestational Diabetes. 2022. https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/gestational-diabetes.
Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği (TEMD). Diagnosis, treatment and follow-up guide of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği2020. https://file.temd.org.tr/Uploads/publications/guides/documents/20200625154506-2020tbl_kilavuz86bf012d90.pdf
- Combined diet and exercise interventions for preventing gestational diabetes mellitus.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017; 2017.; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd010443.pub3
- The effects of synbiotic supplementation on insulin resistance/sensitivity, lipid profile and total antioxidant capacity in women with gestational diabetes mellitus: A randomized double blind placebo controlled clinical trial.Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2018; 138: 149-157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2018.02.008
- Effects of probiotic supplementation on glycaemic control and lipid profiles in gestational diabetes: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetes Metab. 2016; 42: 234-241
- Effects of probiotic supplements on insulin resistance in gestational diabetes mellitus: A double-blind randomized controlled trial.Journal of Diabetes Investigation. 2019; 10: 163-170https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12863
- lactis on blood glucose in women with gestational diabetes mellitus: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome. 2019; : 11https://doi.org/10.1186/s13098-019-0471-5
- Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics added to dairy products: Uses and applications to manage type 2 diabetes.Food Research International. 2021; 142110208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2021.110208
Falcinelli S, Rodiles A, Hatef A, Picchietti S, Cossignani L, Merrifield DL, et al. Influence of Probiotics Administration on Gut Microbiota Core: A Review on the Effects on Appetite Control, Glucose, and Lipid Metabolism. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2018;52 Suppl 1, Proceedings from the 9th Probiotics, Prebiotics and New Foods, Nutraceuticals and Botanicals for Nutrition & Human and Microbiota Health Meeting, held in Rome, Italy from September 10 to 12, 2017:S50-S6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29864068.
World Gastroenterology Organisation. Probiotics and prebiotics. . 2017. https://www.worldgastroenterology.org/UserFiles/file/guidelines/probiotics-and-prebiotics-english-2017.pdf.
International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics. New synbiotic definition lays the groundwork for continued scientific progress. 2020. https://isappscience.org/new-synbiotic-definition-lays-the-groundwork-for-continued-scientific-progress/.
- The effects of synbiotic supplementation on markers of insulin metabolism and lipid profiles in gestational diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.British Journal of Nutrition. 2016; 116: 1394-1401https://doi.org/10.1017/s0007114516003457
- Effects of probiotic supplementation during pregnancy on metabolic outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2020; 162108111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108111
- Effects of Probiotic Supplement in Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Journal of Diabetes Research. 2019; 2019: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5364730
- The effects of probiotics supplementation on metabolic health in pregnant women: An evidence based meta-analysis.PLOS ONE. 2018; 13: e0197771
PRISMA. PRISMA Flow Diagram. 2020. https://prisma-statement.org/PRISMAStatement/FlowDiagram.
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: S81-S90
International Association of D, Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus P, Metzger BE, Gabbe SG, Persson B, Buchanan TA, et al. International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:676-82. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20190296.
- The effects of probiotic supplementation on biomarkers of inflammation, oxidative stress and pregnancy outcomes in gestational diabetes.The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 2018; 31: 1128-1136https://doi.org/10.1080/14767058.2017.1310193
- Effects of a Multispecies Probiotic Mixture on Glycemic Control and Inflammatory Status in Women with Gestational Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial.Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2016; 2016: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/5190846
- The Effects of Probiotic Supplementation on Genetic and Metabolic Profiles in Patients with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: a Randomized, Double-Blind.Placebo-Controlled Trial. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins. 2019; 11: 1227-1235https://doi.org/10.1007/s12602-018-9490-z
- Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2402-2410
- Probiotic Supplements Improve Blood Glucose and Insulin Resistance/Sensitivity among Healthy and GDM Pregnant Women: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2021; 2021: 1-17https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/9830200
- Efficacy of supplementation of probiotics on maternal glycaemic control – A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health. 2021; 10100674https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2020.11.007
- Effect of Probiotics on Metabolic Outcomes in Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 461https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9050461
- Improvement of glucose metabolism in pregnant women through probiotic supplementation depends on gestational diabetes status: meta-analysis.Scientific Reports. 2020; : 10https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-74773-8
- Effect of Probiotics on the Glucose Levels of Pregnant Women: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Medicina. 2018; 54: 77https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina54050077
- The role of nutrition in the development and management of gestational diabetes among Iranian women: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1007/s40200-021-00944-7
- Do probiotics effectively ameliorate glycemic control during gestational diabetes? A systematic review.Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2018; 298: 477-485https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-018-4809-2
- The effect of probiotics on gestational diabetes and its complications in pregnant mother and newborn: A systematic review and meta-analysis during 2010–2020.Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis. 2022; : 36https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.24326
- Probiotics and synbiotics show clinical efficacy in treating gestational diabetes mellitus: A meta-analysis.Primary Care Diabetes. 2021; 15: 937-947https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2021.08.005
- Effects of synbiotic food consumption on glycemic status and serum hs-CRP in pregnant women: a randomized controlled clinical trial.HORMONES. 2014;
- Synbiotic supplementation for glycemic status in pregnant women: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2021; 37: 146-151
- Effects of Probiotic Supplementation on Metabolic Status in Pregnant Women: a Randomized, Double-blind.Placebo-Controlled Trial. Arch Iran Med. 2016; 19