- •There was significant improvement in the periodontal status in smokers after NSPT for up to 6 months.
- •There were significant reductions in metabolic parameters and pro-inflammatory markers in smokers after NSPT for up to 6 months.
- •Smokers not treated with NSPT showed slight increases in metabolic parameters and pro-inflammatory markers.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Periodontal diseases in the United States population.J Periodontol. 1998; 69: 269-278
- Evaluating All Potential Oral Complications of Diabetes Mellitus.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019; 10: 56
- Diabetes and periodontal disease: a two-way relationship.Br Dent J. 2004; 217: 433-437
- Bidirectional association between periodontal disease and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 13686
- The interaction among obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and periodontitis in Vietnamese patients.Clin Exp Dent Res. 2018; 4: 63-71
- Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes: prospective observational study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 405-412
- Periodontal disease: Associations with diabetes, glycemic control and complications.Oral Dis. 2008; 14: 191-203
- Relationship between diabetes self-care practices and control of periodontal disease among type2 diabetes patients in Bangladesh.PLoS ONE. 2021; 16e0249011
- Periodontal, metabolic, and cardiovascular disease: Exploring the role of inflammation and mental health.Pteridines. 2018; 29: 124-163
- Examination of the relation between periodontal health status and cardiovascular risk factors: serum total and high density lipoprotein cholesterol, C-reactive protein, and plasma fibrinogen.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 273-282
- Effect of nonsurgical periodontal therapy verses oral hygiene instructions on Type 2 diabetes subjects with chronic periodontitis: a randomized clinical trial.BMC Oral Health. 2014; 14: 79
- Risk factors of periodontal disease in Vietnamese patients.J Investig Clin Dent. 2018; 9https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12272
- Does smoking affect gingival crevicular fluid LL-37 levels following non-surgical periodontal treatment in chronic periodontitis?.Arch Oral Biol. 2016; 61: 98-105
- Periodontal diseases Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017; 3: 17038https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2017.38
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: 50 Years of Progress. A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2014; Chapter 10: 537-545.
- Smoking and Type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Metab J. 2012; 36: 399-403
- Periodontal disease in diabetes mellitus: A case–control study in smokers and non-smokers.Diabetes Ther. 2020; 11: 2715-2728
- Inflammatory cytokines, adiponectin, insulin resistance and metabolic control after periodontal intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic periodontitis.Intern Med. 2011; 50: 1569-1574
- The effect of periodontal therapy on glycemic control and fasting plasma glucose level in type 2 diabetic patients: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Oral Health. 2016; 17: 31https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-016-0249-1
- Diabetes prevalence and risk factors among Vietnamese adults: findings from community-based screening programs.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: E77-E78
WHO. Smoking causes 40 000 deaths in Viet Nam each year. Vietnam: World Health Organization, 27 May 2018 [Google Scholar].
IDF. Clinical guidelines task force. Global guideline for type 2 diabetes. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation, 2005. [Google Scholar].
- Preventing and managing the global epidemic.Report of a who consultation on obesity, Geneva1998
- Task force report on the update to the 1999 classification of periodontal diseases and conditions.J Periodontol. 2015; 86: 835-838
- Effect of periodontal treatment on glycemic control of diabetic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 421-427
- The Gingival Index, the Plaque Index and the Retention Index Systems.J Periodontol. 1967; 38: 610-616
- Comparison of different approaches to assess bleeding on probing as indicators of gingivitis.J Clin Periodontol. 1994; 21: 589-594
- Effects of non-surgical periodontal treatment on clinical response, serum inflammatory parameters, and metabolic control in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized study.J Periodontol. 2012; 83: 435-443
- A randomized, controlled trial on the effect of non-surgical periodontal therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Part I: effect on periodontal status and glycaemic control.J Clin Periodontol. 2011; 38: 142-147
- Benefits of nonsurgical periodontal treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Periodontol. 2018; 45: 345-353
- Periodontal and glycemic effects of nonsurgical periodontal therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes stratified by baseline HbA1c.J Oral Sci. 2015; 57: 201-211
- Effect of non-surgical periodontal treatment on HbA1c: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Aust Dent J. 2013; 58: 350-357
D'Aiuto F, Gkranias N, Bhowruth D, Khan T, Orlandi M, Suvan J, Masi S, Tsakos G, Hurel S, Hingorani AD, Donos N, Deanfield JE; TASTE Group. Systemic effects of periodontitis treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 12 month, single-centre, investigator-masked, randomised trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2018; 6(12): 954-965.
- Effect of periodontal treatment on metabolic control, systemic inflammation and cytokines in patients with type 2 diabetes.J Clin Periodontol. 2010; 37: 53-58
- Efficacy of nonsurgical periodontal therapy on glycaemic control in type II diabetic patients: a randomized controlled clinical trial.J Periodontal Implant Sci. 2013; 43: 177-182
- The effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Clin Periodontol. 2005; 32: 266-272
- Serum C-reactive protein and periodontitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Immunol. 2021; 12706432https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2021.706432
- Multi-center intervention study on glycohemoglobin (HbA1c) and serum, high-sensitivity CRP (hs-CRP) after local anti-infectious periodontal treatment in Type 2 diabetic patients with periodontal disease.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009; 83: 308-315
- Effects of periodontal therapy on serum C-reactive protein, sE-selectin, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha secretion by peripheral blood-derived macrophages in diabetes.A pilot study J Periodontal Res. 2007; 42: 274-282
- Short-term effects of intensive periodontal therapy on serum inflammatory markers and cholesterol.J Dent Res. 2005; 84: 269-273
Del Cañizo Gómez FJ, Fernández Pérez C, Moreno Ruiz I, Pérez-Jáuregui CG, Rodríguez BS, Losada TG, Galindo AS. Microvascular complications and risk factors in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Endocrinol Nutr 2011; 58 (4): 163-168.