- •Type 2 diabetes (T2D) is a risk factor for cognitive decline.
- •Cognitive decline, in turn, contributes to poor diabetes self-management.
- •Computerized cognitive training (CCT) aims to enhance/maintain cognitive function.
- •While adaptive CCT did not outperform non-adaptive CCT, both improved self-management.
- •Combined CCT groups had many cognitive and T2D-related improvements 6 months later.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Impact of diabetes on cognitive function and brain structure.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2015; 1353: 60-71
- Update on cognitive decline and dementia in elderly patients with diabetes.Diabetes Metab. 2014; 40: 331-337
Atif M, Saleem Q, Babar ZU, Scahill S. Association between the Vicious Cycle of Diabetes-Associated Complications and Glycemic Control among the Elderly: A Systematic Review. Medicina (Kaunas). 2018;54.
- The influence of cognition on self-management of type 2 diabetes in older people.Psychol Res Behav Manag. 2016; 9: 7-20
- Diabetes mellitus in the young and the old: Effects on cognitive functioning across the life span.Neurobiol Dis. 2020; 134104608
- Poor cognitive function and risk of severe hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: post hoc epidemiologic analysis of the ACCORD trial.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 787-793
- Cognitive remediation for severe mental illness: state of the field and future directions.World Psychiatry. 2019; 18: 274-275
- Enhancing Cognitive Functioning in Healthly Older Adults: a Systematic Review of the Clinical Significance of Commercially Available Computerized Cognitive Training in Preventing Cognitive Decline.Neuropsychol Rev. 2017; 27: 62-80
- Controversies in Computerized Cognitive Training.Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 907-915
- Effects of computerised cognitive training on cognitive impairment: a meta-analysis.J Neurol. 2019;
- Computerized cognitive training in cognitively healthy older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of effect modifiers.PLoS Med. 2014; 11e1001756
- Prevalence of and Trends in Diabetes Among Veterans, United States, 2005–2014.Prev Chronic Dis. 2017; 14: E135 -E
- QuickFacts: Bronx County (Bronx Borough).Washtenaw County, Michigan, New York2019
- Recruitment of Older Veterans with Diabetes Risk for Alzheimer's Disease for a Randomized Clinical Trial of Computerized Cognitive Training.J Alzheimers Dis. 2019; 69: 401-411
- How well do patients' assessments of their diabetes self-management correlate with actual glycemic control and receipt of recommended diabetes services?.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 738-743
- Clinical dementia rating training and reliability in multicenter studies: the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study experience.Neurology. 1997; 48: 1508-1510
- “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Novel television-based cognitive training improves working memory and executive function.PLoS One. 2014; 9e101472
- Age, gender, and education are associated with cognitive performance in an older Israeli sample with type 2 diabetes.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 299-309
- The Rivermead behavioural memory test.Pearson, 2008
- The assessment of refill compliance using pharmacy records: methods, validity, and applications.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 50: 105-116
- Development of a brief test to measure functional health literacy.Patient Educ Couns. 1999; 38: 33-42
- Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report.J Psychiatr Res. 1982; 17: 37-49
- Cognitive Self-Report Questionnaire (CSRQ) Manual.Posit Science Corporation, San Francisco, CA2006
- Computerized Cognitive Training for Older Adults at Higher Dementia Risk due to Diabetes: Findings From a Randomized Controlled Trial.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 747-754
- Computer-Based Cognitive Training in Aging.Front Aging Neurosci. 2016; 8: 313
- Understanding the Hawthorne effect. Bmj. 2015; 351h4672
- Placebo-Associated Blood Pressure Response and Adverse Effects in the Treatment of Hypertension: Observations From a Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study.Archives of Internal Medicine. 2000; 160: 1449-1454
- Recruitment and retention strategies in clinical studies with low-income and minority populations: Progress from 2004–2014.Contemp Clin Trials. 2015; 45: 34-40