- •Frailty promotes the progression of prediabetes to diabetes.
- •Frailty increases the risks of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in prediabetes and diabetes.
- •Frailty improves the risk predictions for cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in prediabetes and diabetes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Trends in Prevalence of Diabetes and Control of Risk Factors in Diabetes Among US Adults, 1999–2018.JAMA. 2021; 326: 704
- Prevalence and Treatment of Diabetes in China, 2013–2018.JAMA. 2021; 326: 2498
- Global and regional diabetes prevalence estimates for 2019 and projections for 2030 and 2045: Results from the International Diabetes Federation Diabetes Atlas, 9(th) edition.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2019; 157: 107843
- Association between prediabetes and risk of cardiovascular disease and all cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ (Clin Res ed). 2016; 355i5953
- Diabetes mellitus, fasting blood glucose concentration, and risk of vascular disease: a collaborative meta-analysis of 102 prospective studies.Lancet (London, England). 2010; 375: 2215-2222
- Prediabetes, Diabetes, and the Risk of All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality in a Japanese Working Population: Japan Epidemiology Collaboration on Occupational Health Study.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: 757-764
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in older adults: clinical considerations and management.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2021; 17: 534-548
- Frailty measurement, prevalence, incidence, and clinical implications in people with diabetes: a systematic review and study-level meta-analysis.Lancet Healthy Longevity. 2020; 1: e106-e116
- The prevalence and incidence of frailty in Pre-diabetic and diabetic community-dwelling older population: results from Beijing longitudinal study of aging II (BLSA-II).BMC Geriatrics. 2017; 17: 47
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet (London, England). 2013; 381: 752-762
- Frailty: implications for clinical practice and public health.Lancet (London, England). 2019; 394: 1365-1375
- Both pre-frailty and frailty increase healthcare utilization and adverse health outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018; 17: 130
- Relationship between frailty and mortality, hospitalization, and cardiovascular diseases in diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2019; 18: 81
- Cohort profile: the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study (CHARLS).Int J Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 61-68
- Cohort profile: the English longitudinal study of ageing.Int J Epidemiol. 2013; 42: 1640-1648
Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. Diabetes care 2017; 40: S11-s24.
- A standard procedure for creating a frailty index.BMC Geriatrics. 2008; 8: 24
- Frailty index and all-cause and cause-specific mortality in Chinese adults: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Public health. 2020; 5: e650-e660
- Association between sarcopenia and cardiovascular disease among middle-aged and older adults: Findings from the China health and retirement longitudinal study.EClinicalMedicine. 2022; 44101264
- Longitudinal associations between loneliness, social isolation and cardiovascular events.Heart (British Cardiac Society). 2020; 106: 1394-1399
- Links Between Mortality and Socioeconomic Characteristics, Disease Burden, and Biological and Physical Functioning in the Aging Chinese Population.J Gerontol Series B, Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2022; 77: 365-377
- Population-based estimates of healthy working life expectancy in England at age 50 years: analysis of data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.The Lancet Public health. 2020; 5: e395-e403
International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1C assay in the diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes care 2009; 32: 1327–34.
WHO Guidelines Approved by the Guidelines Review Committee. Use of Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus: Abbreviated Report of a WHO Consultation. Geneva: World Health Organization Copyright © World Health Organization 2011; 2011.
- Discrimination ability of comorbidity, frailty, and subjective health to predict mortality in community-dwelling older people: Population based prospective cohort study.Eur J Int Med. 2017; 42: 29-38
- Incorporating Frailty Into the Pooled Cohort Equations to Predict Cardiovascular Disease Among Persons With HIV.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1999; 2021: 971-977
- Sarcopenia Is Associated With a Risk of Mortality in People With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.Front Endocrinol. 2021; 12783363
- Effect of Sarcopenia on Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes: A Long-Term Follow-Up Propensity Score-Matched Diabetes Cohort Study.J Clin Med. 2022; 11
Nishikawa H, Fukunishi S, Asai A, Yokohama K, Ohama H, Nishiguchi S, et al. Sarcopenia, frailty and type 2 diabetes mellitus (Review). Mol Med Reports 2021; 24.
Sanz-Cánovas J, López-Sampalo A, Cobos-Palacios L, Ricci M, Hernández-Negrín H, Mancebo-Sevilla JJ, et al. Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Elderly Patients with Frailty and/or Sarcopenia. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2022; 19.
- Dysglycaemia and Other Predictors for Progression or Regression from Impaired Fasting Glucose to Diabetes or Normoglycaemia.J Diabetes Res. 2015; 2015373762
- Prevalence of Diabetes, Prediabetes, and Associated Factors in an Adult Chinese Population: Baseline of a Prediabetes Cohort Study.Int J Endocrinol. 2020; 2020: 8892176
- What protects against pre-diabetes progressing to diabetes? Observational study of integrated health and social data.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2019; 148: 119-129
- Risk of Progression to Diabetes Among Older Adults With Prediabetes.JAMA Int Med. 2021; 181: 511-519
- Risk of progression to diabetes and mortality in older people with prediabetes: The English longitudinal study on ageing.Age Ageing. 2022; 51
Older Adults: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2021. Diabetes care. 2021; 44: S168-s79.
- Joint British Diabetes Societies for Inpatient Care (JBDS-IP) Clinical Guideline Inpatient care of the frail older adult with diabetes: an Executive Summary.Diabetic Med: J Br Diabetic Assoc. 2020; 37: 1981-1991
- Treatment of Diabetes in Older Adults: An Endocrine Society* Clinical Practice Guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metabolism. 2019; 104: 1520-1574