- •53.3% of women received appropriate screening within six months postpartum.
- •Inequity in postpartum type 2 diabetes screening was identified for Māori women.
- •Postpartum type 2 diabetes screening varied widely by geographic region.
- •Administrative data are viable for monitoring postpartum type 2 diabetes screening.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: mechanisms, treatment, and complications.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2018; 29: 743-754https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2018.09.004
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1773-1779https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60731-5
- Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. Sec 2. In: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2017.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: S11-S24https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-S005
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Initiative on gestational diabetes mellitus: A pragmatic guide for diagnosis, management, and care.Int J Gynecol Obstetrics. 2015; 131: S173-S211https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(15)30033-3
Nankervis A, McIntyre H, Moses R, Ross G, Callaway L, Porter C, et al. ADIPS consensus guidelines for the testing and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus in Australia. Australia: ADIPS; 2014 [cited 26 Jan 2021]. Available from: http://www.adips.org/downloads/ADIPSConsensusGuidelinesGDM-03.05.13VersionACCEPTEDFINAL.pdf.
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Diabetes in pregnancy: Management from preconception to the postnatal period. UK: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2015 [updated 16 Dec 2020; cited 26 Jan 2021]. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3/chapter/Recommendations#gestational-diabetes.
- An opportunity not to be missed – how do we improve postpartum screening rates for women with gestational diabetes?.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012; 28: 312-316https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.2274
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: Estimation of global and regional gestational diabetes mellitus prevalence for 2021 by International Association of Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group’s criteria.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 2022: 183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2021.109050
- International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1848
Ministry of Health New Zealand. Screening, Diagnosis and Management of Gestational Diabetes in New Zealand: A clinical practice guideline. Wellington: Ministry of Health; 2014 [cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/screening-diagnosis-management-of-gestational-diabetes-in-nz-clinical-practive-guideline-dec14-v2.pdf.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus - management guidelines: the Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society.Med J Aust. 1998; 169: 93-97
Auckland District Health Board. National Womens' Health Annual Clinical Report. Auckland: Auckland District Health Board; 2020 [cited 26 Nov 2021]. Available from: https://nationalwomenshealth.adhb.govt.nz/assets/Womens-health/Documents/ACR/2020-Annual-Clinical-Report.pdf.
- Improved post-partum follow-up of patients with gestational diabetes mellitus using HbA1c.Diabet Med. 2013; 30: 1264-1265https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12279
- Pregnancy outcomes among multi-ethnic women with different degrees of hyperglycaemia during pregnancy in an urban New Zealand population and their association with postnatal HbA1c uptake.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020; 1–9https://doi.org/10.1111/ajo.13231
Winnard D, Anderson P. Diabetes in Pregnancy in CMDHB: Trends over time, a 2011 snapshot and service implications. Auckland: Counties Manakau DHB; 2013 [cited 29 Jan 2020]. Available from: https://countiesmanukau.health.nz/assets/About-CMH/Reports-and-planning/Diabetes/86012bec3e/2011-Diabetes-in-Pregnancy-Trends-2011-snapshot.pdf.
- Evaluation of the NZ guidelines for screening for persistent postpartum hyperglycaemia following gestational diabetes.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2018; 58: 432-437https://doi.org/10.1111/ajo.12746
- Generation of a pregnancy cohort for medicine utilisation and medicine safety studies in New Zealand.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2018; 27: 1335-1343https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.4671
Ministry of Health New Zealand. National Collections information page [Internet]. [updated 30 May 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. National Minimum Dataset (hospital events) [Internet]. [updated 29 May 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections/national-minimum-dataset-hospital-events.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. Mortality Collection [Internet]. [updated 30 May 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections/mortality-collection.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. National Maternity Collection [Internet]. [updated 29 May 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections/national-maternity-collection.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. Laboratory Claims Collection [Internet]. [updated 22 Jul 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections/laboratory-claims-collection.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. Pharmaceutical Collection [updated 26 Sep 2019; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/national-collections-and-surveys/collections/pharmaceutical-collection.
National Centre for Classification in Health. ICD-10-AM: The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, Australian Modification. 6th ed. Sydney: National Centre for Classification in Health, University of Sydney; 2008.
Ministry of Health New Zealand. HISO 10001:2017 Ethnicity Data Protocols. Wellington: Ministry of Health; 2017 [cited 04 Feb 2020]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/publication/hiso-100012017-ethnicity-data-protocols.
- Development of New Zealand's deprivation index (NZDep) and its uptake as a national policy tool.Can J Public Health. 2012; 103: S7-S11
R. Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2021 [cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.R-project.org/.
- Welcome to the tidyverse.J Open Source Software. 2019; 4: 1686https://doi.org/10.21105/joss.01686
- Dates and times made easy with lubridate.J Stat Softw. 2011; 40: 1-25https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v040.i03
Chongsuvivatwong V. epiDisplay: Epidemiological Data Display Package [Internet]. The Comprehensive R Archive Network; 2018 [updated 10 May 2018; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=epiDisplay.
- ggplot2: elegant graphics for data analysis.Springer-Verlag, New York2016
Hugh-Jones D. Huxtable: easily create and style tables for LaTeX, HTML and other formats. R package version 5.0.0: The Comprehensive R Archive Network; 2020 [updated 14 May 2021; cited 21 May 2021]. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=huxtable.
- Type 2 diabetes.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2239-2251https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30058-2
- Diabetes screening reminder for women with prior gestational diabetes: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 109-114https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000000883
- Postpartum sms reminders to women who have experienced gestational diabetes mellitus to test for type 2 diabetes: the DIAMIND randomised controlled trial.Diabet Med. 2015; 32: 1368-1376https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12769
- Do postal reminders increase postpartum screening of diabetes mellitus in women with gestational diabetes mellitus? A randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 634.e1https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2009.01.003
- Long-term follow-up of women with gestational diabetes mellitus: The South Australian Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Recall Register.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010; 50: 127-131https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1479-828X.2010.01140.x
- Implementing a reminder system in the northern part of Belgium to stimulate postpartum screening for glucose intolerance in women with gestational diabetes: the “Sweet Pregnancy” project.Int J Endocrinol. 2017; 2017: 3971914https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/3971914
- A physician reminder to improve postpartum diabetes screening in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 95: 352-357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.10.023
- Impact of an intensive follow-up program on the postpartum glucose tolerance testing rate.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2014; 289: 1177-1183https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-014-3157-0
- Hauora: Report on Stage One of the Health Services and Outcomes Kaupapa Inquiry, WAI 2575.Legislation Direct, Wellington2019 ([cited 14 Oct 2021]. Available from:)
National Screening Unit New Zealand. Breastscreen Aotearoa DHB coverage report [Internet]. 2022 [cited 05 Oct 2022]. Available from: https://minhealthnz.shinyapps.io/nsu-bsa-coverage-dhb/.
National Screening Unit New Zealand. National Cervical Screening Programme coverage report [Internet]. 2022 [cited 5 Oct 2022]. Available from: https://minhealthnz.shinyapps.io/nsu-ncsp-coverage/.
- Ethnic inequities in screening for diabetes in pregnancy in New Zealand - adherence to national guidelines.N Z Med J. 2020; 133: 106-113
- Screening for diabetes in pregnancy in a regional area with a high Māori population.N Z Med J. 2017; 130: 25-31
- Upholding Te Tiriti, ending institutional racism and Crown inaction on health equity.N Z Med J. 2019; 132: 61-66
- Routinely collected data as a strategic resource for research: priorities for methods and workforce.Public Health Res Pract. 2015; 25: e2541540https://doi.org/10.17061/phrp2541540
Ministry of Health New Zealand. Introduction to Classification and Terminology [Internet]. New Zealand: Ministry of Health; 2019 [updated 18 Jul 2019; cited 19 May 2021]. Available from: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/classification-and-terminology/introduction-classification-and-terminology.
Reid G, Bycroft C, Gleisner F. Comparison of ethnicity information in administrative data and the census. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand; 2016 [cited 13 Jun 2021]. Available from: https://www.stats.govt.nz/assets/Research/Comparison-of-ethnicity-information-in-administrative-data-and-the-census/comparison-of-ethnicity-information-in-administrative-data-and-the-census.pdf.