- •Patients with P4P care show a lower risk of death.
- •Patients with P4P care show a lower risk of cardiovascular events.
- •Patients with a longer cumulative duration of P4P care show a lower risk of major microvascular outcomes.
- •P4P program may be beneficial for patients with YOD.
Abbreviations:YOD (young-onset diabetes), P4P (Pay-for-Performance), T2D (type 2 diabetes)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2416 population-based measurement studies in 128·9 million children, adolescents, and adults.Lancet. 1975; 2017: 2627-2642https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32129-3
- Type 2 diabetes in adolescents and young adults.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018; 6: 69-80https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30186-9
- Metabolic profiles and treatment gaps in young-onset type 2 diabetes in Asia (the JADE programme): a cross-sectional study of a prospective cohort.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 935-943https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(14)70137-8
- The Lancet Commission on diabetes: using data to transform diabetes care and patient lives.Lancet. 2021; 396: 2019-2082https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32374-6
- Age at diagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus and associations with cardiovascular and mortality risks.Circulation. 2019; 139: 2228-2237https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.118.037885
- Young age at diabetes diagnosis amplifies the effect of diabetes duration on risk of chronic kidney disease: a prospective cohort study.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 1990-2000https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-021-05494-4
- The impact of treatment noncompliance on mortality in people with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1279-1284https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1277
- Evaluation of the cascade of diabetes care in the United States, 2005–2016.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1376-1385https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.2396
Joslin Diabetes Center. Elliott P. Joslin, M.D, http://www.joslin.org/about/elliot_p_joslin_md.html; 2022 [assessed 2 February 2022].
- Paying physicians for high-quality care.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 406-410https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsb035374
- Effects of pay for performance on the quality of primary care in England.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 368-378https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa0807651
- Team care of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Taiwan.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 106: S309-S313https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8227(14)70735-1
- The effects of pay-for-performance programs on health, health care use, and processes of care: a systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 341-353https://doi.org/10.7326/M16-1881
- An evaluation of a multifaceted, local quality improvement framework for long-term conditions in UK primary care.Fam Pract. 2019; 36: 607-613https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmy128
- The association between participation in a pay-for-performance program and macrovascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Prev Med. 2016; 85: 53-59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.12.013
- Importance of medication adherence in treatment needed diabetic retinopathy.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 19100https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-98488-6
- Reduced mortality with hospital pay for performance in England.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1821-2188https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1114951
- A diabetes pay-for-performance program and the competing causes of death among cancer survivors with type 2 diabetes in Taiwan.Int J Qual Health Care. 2017; 29: 512-520https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzx057
- Outcomes of second-line oral antidiabetic drugs in persons with young-onset type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 177108928https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2021.108928
- Accuracy of diabetes diagnosis in health insurance claims data in Taiwan.J Formos Med Assoc. 2005; 104: 157-163
- Chronic illness with complexity: implications for performance measurement of optimal glycemic control.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 408-418https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-007-0310-5
- Diabetes complications severity index and risk of mortality, hospitalization, and healthcare utilization.Am J Manag Care. 2008; 14: 15-23
- Impact of a Pay-for-Performance program on care for black patients with hypertension: important answers in the era of the affordable care act.Health Serv Res. 2017; 52: 1138-1155https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12517
- Pay for performance, quality of care, and outcomes in acute myocardial infarction.JAMA. 2007; 297: 2373-2380https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.21.2373
- Aspects of multicomponent integrated care promote sustained improvement in surrogate clinical outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 1312-1320https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-2010
- Synergy between the pay-for-performance scheme and better physician-patient relationship might reduce the risk of retinopathy in patients with type 2 diabetes.J Diabetes Investig. 2021; 12: 819-827https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.13422
- Economic evaluation of a pre-ESRD pay-for-performance programme in advanced chronic kidney disease patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007; 32: 1184-1194https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfw372
Sheen YJ, Kung PT, Kuo WY, Chiu LT, Tsai WC. Impact of the pay-for-performance program on lower extremity amputations in patients with diabetes in Taiwan. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018;97:e12759. 10.1097%2FMD.0000000000012759.
- Pay-for-performance for shared care of diabetes in Taiwan.J Formos Med Assoc. 2019; 118: S122-S129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfma.2019.08.011
- Long-term effect of hospital pay for performance on mortality in England.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 540-548https://doi.org/10.1016/10.1056/NEJMoa1400962