- •In an Asian cohort, the 2021 equation showed a positive bias by increasing the eGFR.
- •The 2021 CKD-EPI lowered estimated kidney burden (eKDB).
- •Lowering in eKDB increased with age, independent of presence of T2DM and HTN.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Global, regional, and national burden of chronic kidney disease, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2020; 395: 709-733https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30045-3
- KDIGO 2020 clinical practice guideline for diabetes management in chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int. 2020; 98: S1-S115https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2020.06.019
- Comparison of risk prediction using the CKD-EPI equation and the MDRD study equation for estimated glomerular filtration rate.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1941-1951https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.3954
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Evaluation of the CKD-EPI equation in multiple races and ethnicities.Kidney Int. 2011; 79: 555-562https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2010.462
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate equations in people of self-reported black ethnicity in the United Kingdom: Inappropriate adjustment for ethnicity may lead to reduced access to care.PLoS ONE. 2021; 16: e0255869
Tsai JW, Cerdeña JP, Goedel WC, et al. Evaluating the Impact and Rationale of Race-Specific Estimations of Kidney Function: Estimations from U.S. NHANES, 2015-2018. eClinicalMedicine. 2021;42. doi:10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.101197.
- Kidney disease, race, and GFR estimation.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020; 15: 1203-1212https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.12791019
- New creatinine- and cystatin C-based equations to estimate GFR without race.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1737-1749https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2102953
- Effects of the 2021 CKD-EPI creatinine eGFR equation among a national US veteran cohort.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2022; 17: 283-285https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.10000721
- A unifying approach for GFR estimation: recommendations of the NKF-ASN task force on reassessing the inclusion of race in diagnosing kidney disease.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2021; 32: 2994-3015https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2021070988
- Association of kidney functions with a cascade of care for diabetes and hypertension in two geographically distinct Indian cohorts.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 176108861https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2021.108861
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement.Lancet Lond Engl. 1986; 1: 307-310
- A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility.Biometrics. 1989; 45
A Coefficient of Agreement for Nominal Scales - Jacob Cohen, 1960. Available from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/001316446002000104?journalCode=epma.
- The household economic burden of non-communicable diseases in 18 countries.BMJ Glob Health. 2020; 5: e002040
- The practicality of different eGFR equations in centenarians and near-centenarians: which equation should we choose?.PeerJ. 2020; 8: e8636
- Comparison of five glomerular filtration rate estimating equations as predictors of acute kidney injury after cardiovascular surgery.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 11072https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-47559-w
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate in hypertensive subjects: comparison of the chronic kidney disease epidemiology collaboration (CKD-EPI) and modification of diet in renal disease (MDRD) study equations.Ann Med. 2012; 44: 487-493https://doi.org/10.3109/07853890.2011.580775
- Comparison of CKD-EPI and MDRD to estimate baseline renal function in HIV-positive patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant Off Publ Eur Dial Transpl Assoc - Eur Ren Assoc. 2012; 27: 2291-2297https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfr657
- Comparison of two creatinine-based equations for predicting decline in renal function in type 2 diabetic patients with nephropathy in a korean population.Int J Endocrinol. 2013; 2013848963https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/848963
- A comparison of estimated glomerular filtration rates using Cockcroft-Gault and the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration estimating equations in HIV infection.HIV Med. 2014; 15: 144-152https://doi.org/10.1111/hiv.12095
- Comparison of equations to estimate glomerular filtration rate and their impact on frequency of cisplatin-associated acute kidney injury.Kidney360. 2021; 2: 205-214https://doi.org/10.34067/KID.0000572020
- Comparison of CKD awareness in a screening population using the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) study and CKD Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equations.Am J Kidney Dis Off J Natl Kidney Found. 2011; 57: S17-S23https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2010.11.008
- Factors associated with skeletal muscle mass, sarcopenia, and sarcopenic obesity in older adults: a multi-continent study.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2016; 7: 312-321https://doi.org/10.1002/jcsm.12076
- Chronic kidney disease classification in systolic blood pressure intervention trial: comparison using modification of diet in renal disease and CKD-epidemiology collaboration definitions.Am J Nephrol. 2016; 44: 130-140https://doi.org/10.1159/000448722
- Comparison of associations of outcomes after stroke with estimated GFR using Chinese modifications of the MDRD study and CKD-EPI creatinine equations: results from the China National Stroke Registry.Am J Kidney Dis Off J Natl Kidney Found. 2014; 63: 59-67https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2013.08.008
- Diagnostic performance of creatinine-based equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate in adults 65 years and older.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 796-804https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.0223
- Estimating renal function in old people: an in-depth review.Int Urol Nephrol. 2017; 49: 1979-1988https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-017-1682-z
Zou LX, Sun L, Nicholas SB, Lu Y, K SS, Hua R. Comparison of bias and accuracy using cystatin C and creatinine in CKD-EPI equations for GFR estimation. Eur J Intern Med 2020;80:29–34. doi:10.1016/j.ejim.2020.04.044.
- A more accurate method acquirement by a comparison of the prediction equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate in Chinese patients with obstructive nephropathy.BMC Nephrol. 2016; 17: 150https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-016-0345-0
- Comparison of glomerular filtration rate estimating equations derived from creatinine and cystatin C: validation in the Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik elderly cohort.Nephrol Dial Transplant Off Publ Eur Dial Transpl Assoc - Eur Ren Assoc. 2018; 33: 1380-1388https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfx272
- Comparison of various equations for estimating GFR in Malawi: how to determine renal function in resource limited settings?.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10: e0130453
- More evidence that cystatin C predicts mortality better than creatinine.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 2088-2090https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2009080832