Abbreviations:AGEs (advanced glycation end products), BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), CRP (C-reactive protein), CVD (cardiovascular disease), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), GA (glycated albumin), GA/HbA1c ratio (glycated albumin to hemoglobin A1c ratio), HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c), HDL-C (high-density lipoprotein cholesterol), HR (hazard ratio), LDL-C (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), RCS (restricted cubic spline), T1D (type 1 diabetes), T2D (type 2 diabetes)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017; 3https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2017.16
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015; 1https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2015.19
- Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1204-1222
American Diabetes Association Professional Practice Committee. 2. Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2022. Diabetes Care 2022;45(Suppl 1):S17–S38. doi: 10.2337/dc22-S002.
- Evaluation of glycated albumin (GA) and GA/HbA1c ratio for diagnosis of diabetes and glycemic control: a comprehensive review.Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2017; 54: 219-232
Nusca A, Tuccinardi D, Albano M, Cavallaro C, Ricottini E, Manfrini S, et al. Glycemic variability in the development of cardiovascular complications in diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2018;34(8):e3047. doi: 10.1002/dmrr.3047.
- Impact of daily glucose fluctuations on cardiovascular outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention for patients with stable coronary artery disease undergoing lipid-lowering therapy.J Diabetes Investig. 2021; 12: 1015-1024
- Glycated albumin versus hemoglobin A1c and mortality in diabetic hemodialysis patients: a cohort study.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018; 33: 1150-1158
- Glycated albumin and the risk of micro- and macrovascular complications in subjects with type 1 diabetes.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2015; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-015-0219-y
- Glycated albumin to glycated hemoglobin ratio is a sensitive indicator of blood glucose variability in patients with fulminant type 1 diabetes.Intern Med. 2012; 51: 1315-1321
Ogawa A, Hayashi A, Kishihara E, Yoshino S, Takeuchi A, Shichiri M. New indices for predicting glycaemic variability. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e46517. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0046517.
- Association of glycated albumin/glycosylated hemoglobin ratio with blood glucose fluctuation and long-term blood glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2021; 14: 1809-1815https://doi.org/10.2147/DMSO.S297730
- Lower beta cell function relates to sustained higher glycated albumin to glycated hemoglobin ratio in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes.Endocr J. 2014; 61: 149-157https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.ej13-0376
- Serum glycated albumin predicts the progression of carotid arterial atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 225: 450-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2012.09.005
- Association between bisphenol A exposure and risk of all-cause and cause-specific mortality in US adults.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2011620https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.11620
- Glycated albumin and risk of mortality in the US adult population.Clin Chem. 2022; 68: 422-430
- Exposure to acrylamide and the risk of cardiovascular diseases in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003–2006.Environ Int. 2018; 117: 154-163
- Basic performance of an enzymatic method for glycated albumin and reference range determination.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2011; 5: 1455-1462https://doi.org/10.1177/193229681100500619
- HDL cholesterol: A potential mediator of the association between urinary cadmium concentration and cardiovascular disease risk.Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2021; 208: 111433
- 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 3021-3104
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604
- Association of subclinical hypothyroidism and cardiovascular disease with mortality.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e1920745https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.20745
- Association of low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets with mortality among US adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 513-523https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.6980
Johnson CL, Paulose-Ram R, Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kruszon-Moran D, Dohrmann SM, et al. National health and nutrition examination survey: analytic guidelines, 1999-2010. Vital Health Stat 2. 2013(161):1–24.
- Multiple imputation with multivariate imputation by chained equation (MICE) package.Ann Transl Med. 2016; 4: 30https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2305-5839.2015.12.63
Qiu Z, Chen X, Geng T, Wan Z, Lu Q, Li L, et al. Associations of serum carotenoids with risk of cardiovascular mortality among individuals with type 2 diabetes: results from NHANES. Diabetes Care 2022;45(6):1453-61. doi: 10.2337/dc21-2371.
Jaddoe VW, de Jonge LL, Hofman A, Franco OH, Steegers EA, Gaillard R. First trimester fetal growth restriction and cardiovascular risk factors in school age children: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2014;348:g14. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g14.
- Breastfeeding duration in infancy and adult risks of type 2 diabetes in a high-income country.Matern Child Nutr. 2019; 15: e12869
- Trends in alcohol consumption in relation to cause-specific and all-cause mortality in the United States: a report from the NHANES linked to the US mortality registry.Am J Clin Nutr. 2020; 111: 580-589https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqaa008
- Sensitivity analysis in observational research: introducing the E-value.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 268-274https://doi.org/10.7326/M16-2607
- Using the E-value to assess the potential effect of unmeasured confounding in observational studies.JAMA. 2019; 321: 602-603https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.21554
- Relationship between glycated albumin and glycated hemoglobin according to glucose tolerance status: a multicenter study.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016; 115: 17-23
- Improved monitoring of the hyperglycemic state in type 1 diabetes patients by use of the glycoalbumin/HbA1c ratio.Rev Diabet Stud. 2007; 4: 44-48https://doi.org/10.1900/RDS.2007.4.44
- The ratio of glycated albumin to glycated haemoglobin correlates with insulin secretory function.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012; 77: 679-683
- Nonenzymatic glucosylation of serum proteins and hemoglobin: response to changes in blood glucose levels in diabetic rats.Diabetes. 1980; 29: 524-527https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.29.7.524
- Review: Glycation of human serum albumin.Clin Chim Acta. 2013; 425: 64-76
- Fluctuations in glucose levels induce glial toxicity with glutamatergic, oxidative and inflammatory implications.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017; 1863: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2016.09.013
- Relationship between GHb concentration and erythrocyte survival determined from breath carbon monoxide concentration.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 931-935https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.4.931
Wang N, Xu Z, Han P, Li T. Glycated albumin and ratio of glycated albumin to glycated hemoglobin are good indicators of diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2017;33(2). doi: 10.1002/dmrr.2843.
- Association of glycated albumin to HbA1c ratio with diabetic retinopathy but not diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes.Clin Biochem. 2017; 50: 270-273
- Glycated albumin levels in patients with type 2 diabetes increase relative to HbA1c with time.Biomed Res Int. 2015; 2015: 1-8
- Elevated serum glycated albumin and glycated albumin: hemoglobin A1c ratio were associated with hippocampal atrophy in a general elderly population of Japanese: the Hisayama Study.J Diabetes Investig. 2020; 11: 971-979https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.13220
- GA to HbA1C ratio, but not HbA1C is associated with cognition in Chinese nondiabetic old adults.Aging Ment Health. 2015; 19: 853-857https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2014.977773
- Diabetes, cardiovascular disease and the microcirculation.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018; 17: 57https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-018-0703-2
- Activation of oxidative stress by acute glucose fluctuations compared with sustained chronic hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1681-1687https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.14.1681
Martinez M, Santamarina J, Pavesi A, Musso C, Umpierrez GE. Glycemic variability and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care 2021;9(1): e002032. doi: 10.1136/bmjdrc-2020-002032.
- Advanced glycation end products: potential mechanism and therapeutic target in cardiovascular complications under diabetes.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019; 2019: 9570616https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/9570616
- Fructosamine and glycated albumin and the risk of cardiovascular outcomes and death.Circulation. 2015; 132: 269-277
Daya NR, Rooney MR, Tang O, Coresh J, Christenson RH, Selvin E. Glycated albumin in pristine and non-pristine stored samples in the national health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES) 1999-2004. J Appl Lab Med. 2022. doi: 10.1093/jalm/jfab168.
- Associations of body mass index with glycated albumin and glycated albumin/glycated hemoglobin A1c ratio in Chinese diabetic and non-diabetic populations.Clin Chim Acta. 2018; 484: 117-121
Huh JH, Kim KJ, Lee BW, Kim DW, Kang ES, Cha BS, et al. The relationship between BMI and glycated albumin to glycated hemoglobin (GA/A1c) ratio according to glucose tolerance status. PLoS One 2014;9(2):e89478. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0089478.
- Prevalence of diabetes by race and ethnicity in the United States, 2011–2016.JAMA. 2019; 322: 2389https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.19365