Abbreviations:T2D (type 2 diabetes), ILII (intensive lifestyle intervention), DSE (diabetes support and education), Look AHEAD (Action for Health in Diabetes), HS (high school), SES (socioeconomic status)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 145-154https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1212914
- Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1566-1575https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2010.334
- Study on Lifestyle Intervention and Impaired Glucose Tolerance Maastricht (SLIM): preliminary results after one year.Int J Obesity. 2003; 27: 377https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802249
- Effect of progression from impaired glucose tolerance to diabetes on cardiovascular risk factors and its amelioration by lifestyle and metformin intervention: the diabetes prevention program randomized trial by the diabetes prevention program research group*.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 726-732https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-0494
- Impact of intensive lifestyle and metformin therapy on cardiovascular disease risk factors in the diabetes prevention program.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 888-894https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.28.4.888
- A national effort to prevent type 2 diabetes: participant-level evaluation of CDC’s national diabetes prevention program.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 1331-1341https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-2099
- Ethnic differences in response to lifestyle intervention for the prevention of type 2 diabetes in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2022; 23e13340https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.13340
- Socioeconomic disparities in weight and behavioral outcomes among American Indian and Alaska native participants of a translational lifestyle intervention project.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 2090-2099https://doi.org/10.2337/dc15-0394
- One-year weight losses in the look AHEAD study: factors associated with success.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 713-722https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.637
- Weight loss experiences of African American, hispanic, and non-hispanic white men and women with type 2 diabetes: the look AHEAD trial.Obesity. 2019; 27: 1275-1284https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22522
NIDDK Central Repository. n.d. Available from: https://repository.niddk.nih.gov/home/ (accessed January 26, 2022).
- A description of the lifestyle intervention and the evidence supporting it.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006; 14: 737-752https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2006.84
- The comparative efficacy of lifestyle intervention and metformin by educational attainment in the Diabetes Prevention Program.Prev Med. 2015; 77: 125-130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.05.017
Rautio N, Jokelainen J, Saaristo T, Oksa H, Keinänen-Kiukaanniemi S, FIN-D2D Writing Group, et al. Predictors of success of a lifestyle intervention in relation to weight loss and improvement in glucose tolerance among individuals at high risk for type 2 diabetes: the FIN-D2D project. J Prim Care Community Health 2013;4:59–66. doi: 10.1177/2150131912444130.
Look AHEAD Trial Public Data. n.d. Available from: https://www.lookaheadtrial.org/publicData.cfm (accessed January 26, 2022).
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing; 2020. n.d.
- Social justice as it relates to healthy living behaviors and medicine: the current state of inequity and the path forward.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2022; 71: 1-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcad.2022.04.002
- Current state of unhealthy living characteristics in White, African American and Latinx populations.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2022; 71: 20-26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcad.2022.05.002
- Effectiveness of lifestyle intervention for type 2 diabetes in primary care: the REAL HEALTH-diabetes randomized clinical trial.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-05629-9
- Promoting Successful Weight Loss in Primary Care in Louisiana (PROPEL): rationale, design and baseline characteristics.Contemporary Clin Trials. 2018; 67: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2018.02.002
- Effects of a 2-year primary care lifestyle intervention on cardiometabolic risk factors: a cluster-randomized trial.Circulation. 2021; 143: 1202-1214https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.051328
- The live well, be well study: a community-based, translational lifestyle program to lower diabetes risk factors in ethnic minority and lower-socioeconomic status adults.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1551-1558https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300456
- Health coaching reduces HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients from a lower-socioeconomic status community: a randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2015; 17e224https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.4871
- Effective translation of an intensive lifestyle intervention for hispanic women with prediabetes in a community health center setting.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 525-531https://doi.org/10.2337/dc15-1899
- Does the effect of lifestyle intervention for individuals with diabetes vary by food insecurity status? A preplanned subgroup analysis of the REAL HEALTH randomized clinical trial.BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2020; 8e001514https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjdrc-2020-001514
- Socioeconomic status and improvements in lifestyle, coronary risk factors, and quality of life: the multisite cardiac lifestyle intervention program.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 1263-1270https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.132852
- A healthy lifestyle intervention for hispanic families: moderating effects of education, income, nativity.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2022; 54: 125-134https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2021.05.001
- Association of the magnitude of weight loss and changes in physical fitness with long-term cardiovascular disease outcomes in overweight or obese people with type 2 diabetes: a post-hoc analysis of the Look AHEAD randomised clinical trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 913-921https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30162-0