- •Influenza vaccination reduced mortality in patients with diabetes admission.
- •Influenza vaccination reduced complications during diabetes admission.
- •Vaccinated patients consumed less medical resources during the diabetes admission.
Abbreviations:ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Diseases 9th Revision Clinical Modification), CI (confidence interval), IV (influenza vaccination), OR (odds ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Estimates of global seasonal influenza-associated respiratory mortality: a modelling study.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1285-1300https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)33293-2
- Economic burden of seasonal influenza in the United States.Vaccine. 2018; 36: 3960-3966https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2018.05.057
- The natural history of influenza infection in the severely immunocompromised vs nonimmunocompromised hosts.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 214-224https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit725
Czaja CA, Miller L, Alden N, Wald HL, Cummings CN, Rolfes MA, et al. Age-related differences in hospitalization rates, clinical presentation, and outcomes among older adults hospitalized with influenza-U.S. influenza hospitalization surveillance network (FluSurv-NET). Open Forum Infect Dis 2019;6:ofz225. 10.1093/ofid/ofz225.
- Influenza infection and COPD.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2007; 2: 55-64https://doi.org/10.2147/copd.2007.2.1.55
- Influenza virus infection aggravates stroke outcome.Stroke. 2011; 42: 783-791https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.596783
- Diabetes and the severity of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) infection.Diabet Care. 2010; 33: 1491-1493https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-2215
- Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccine in community-dwelling elderly people: a meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 1228-1239https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70960-0
- Influenza vaccine effectiveness against influenza-associated hospitalization in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 2893-2903https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2020.02.049
- Effects of influenza vaccination in the United States during the 2017–2018 influenza season.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 1845-1853https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz075
- Influenza vaccine.JAMA. 2020; 324: 1476https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.16846
Grohskopf LA, Alyanak E, Broder KR, Blanton LH, Fry AM, Jernigan DB, et al. Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices-United States, 2020-21 influenza season. MMWR Recomm Reports 2020;69:1-24. doi:10.15585/mmwr.rr6908a1.
- Protective effect of influenza vaccination on outcomes in geriatric stroke patients: a nationwide matched cohort study.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 282: 85-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2019.01.008
- Effectiveness of influenza vaccination on hospitalizations and risk factors for severe outcomes in hospitalized patients with COPD.Chest. 2019; 155: 69-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2018.10.044
- Effectiveness of the influenza vaccine in preventing admission to hospital and death in people with type 2 diabetes.CMAJ. 2016; 188: E342-E351https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.151059
- Influenza vaccination is associated with reduced cardiovascular mortality in adults with diabetes: a nationwide cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 2226-2233https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-0229
- Relationship between annual influenza vaccination and winter mortality in diabetic people over 65 years.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2012; 8: 363-370https://doi.org/10.4161/hv.18548
- Effectiveness of influenza vaccination in elderly diabetic patients: a retrospective cohort study.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 718-724https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.11.017
- Reduced hospitalizations and death associated with influenza vaccination among patients with and without diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2581-2584https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.11.2581
- Clinical effectiveness of first and repeat influenza vaccination in adult and elderly diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1771-1776https://doi.org/10.2337/dc05-2517
- Increased risk of fracture and postfracture adverse events in patients with diabetes: two nationwide population-based retrospective cohort studies.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2246-2252https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-2957
- Impact of influenza vaccination on all-cause mortality and hospitalization for pneumonia in adults and the elderly with diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Vaccines. 2020; 8: 263https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines8020263
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on mortality associated with pneumonia and influenza among non-Hispanic black and white US adults.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1715-1721https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.89.11.1715
- Quantifying the impact of influenza among persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a new approach to determine medical and physical activity impact.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1177/1932296819883340
- Populations at risk for severe or complicated influenza illness: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 347: f5061https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5061
- Mortality of 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) in Germany.Euro Surveill. 2010; 15: 19741https://doi.org/10.2807/ese.15.49.19741-en
- Infections in patients with diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1906-1912https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199912163412507
- Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific death.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 829-841https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1008862
- Polymorphonuclear leukocytes in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: abnormalities in metabolism and function.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 123: 919-924https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-123-12-199512150-00004
- Immune dysfunction in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM).FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 1999; 26: 259-265https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.1999.tb01397.x
- High glucose disrupts oligosaccharide recognition function via competitive inhibition: a potential mechanism for immune dysregulation in diabetes mellitus.Immunobiology. 2011; 216: 126-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imbio.2010.06.002
- The effects of type 2 diabetes mellitus on organ metabolism and the immune system.Front Immunol. 2020; 11: 1582https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01582
- Bacterial pneumonia and pandemic influenza planning.Emerg Infect Dis. 2008; 14: 1187-1192https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1408.070751
- The frequency of influenza and bacterial coinfection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2016; 10: 394-403https://doi.org/10.1111/irv.12398
- Critical illness from 2009 pandemic influenza A virus and bacterial coinfection in the United States.Crit Care Med. 2012; 40: 1487-1498https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3182416f23
- Influenza vaccines to control influenza-associated bacterial infection: where do we stand?.Expert Rev Vacc. 2015; 14: 55-67https://doi.org/10.1586/14760584.2015.957191
American Diabetes Association. 4. Comprehensive medical evaluation and assessment of comorbidities: standards of medical care in diabetes-2021. Diab Care 2021;44:S40-52. doi:10.2337/dc21-S004.