- •UK NICE guidelines may be insufficient to assess GDM risk in Asian women.
- •Higher blood pressure during first trimester is a top risk factor for GDM.
- •Non-invasive AI model can be leveraged as a rapid GDM risk stratification tool.
- •AI model is robust when using a modified two-point IADPSG 2018 GDM criteria.
- •AI model may be a cost effective alternative strategy to universal GDM screening.
Abbreviations:AI (Artificial Intelligence), AUC (Area under the Receiver Operating Characteristic Curve), BMI (Body Mass Index), GCT (Glucose Challenge Test), GDM (Gestational Diabetes Mellitus), GUSTO (Growing Up in Singapore Towards healthy Outcomes), HbA1c (Hemoglobin A1C), HEI-SGP (Healthy Easting Index for Pregnant women in Singaporev), IADPSG (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups), IDF (International Diabetes Federation), IGF1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor 1), KKH (KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital), NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test), SHAP (SHapley Additive exPlanations), WHO (World Health Organization), △ (Mathematical symbol delta (change in))
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Summary and recommendations of the Fourth International Workshop-Conference on Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. The Organizing Committee.Diabetes Care. 1998; 21 (B161–7)
- Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: s103-s105
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 9th ed.; 2019.
- Progression to type 2 diabetes in women with a known history of gestational diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2020; 369m1361
- Gestational diabetes and the risk of cardiovascular disease in women: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2019; 62: 905-914
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus and Developmental Programming.Ann Nutr Metab. 2020; 76: 4-15
International Diabetes Federation. IDF GDM Model of Care; 2015.
- Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2020.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: S14-S31
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Diabetes in pregnancy: management from preconception to the postnatal period; 2015.
Academy of Medicine Singapore. Guidelines for the Management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus; 2018.
- Ethnic differences translate to inadequacy of high-risk screening for gestational diabetes mellitus in an Asian population: a cohort study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-14-345
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) Initiative on gestational diabetes mellitus: A pragmatic guide for diagnosis, management, and care.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2015; 131: S173-S211
- Prediction of gestational diabetes based on nationwide electronic health records.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 71-76
- Early Prediction of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in the Chinese Population via Advanced Machine Learning.J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2020; 106 (e1191–e205)
World Health Organization. Diagnostic Criteria and Classification of Hyperglycaemia First Detected in Pregnancy; 2013.
Prokhorenkova L, Gusev G, Vorobev A, Veronika Dorogush A, Gulin A. CatBoost: unbiased boosting with categorical features. arXiv e-prints2017.
- From local explanations to global understanding with explainable AI for trees.Nat Mach Intel. 2020; 2: 56-67
- Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies.Lancet. 2004; 363: 157-163
- A healthy eating index to measure diet quality in pregnant women in Singapore: a cross-sectional study.BMC Nutr. 2015; 1https://doi.org/10.1186/s40795-015-0029-3
- A Functional Interplay between IGF-1 and Adiponectin.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18: 2145https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18102145
- First-trimester prediction of gestational diabetes mellitus: examining the potential of combining maternal characteristics and laboratory measures.Diabetes. 2010; 59: 3017-3022
- High Blood Pressure Before and During Early Pregnancy Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 2362-2367
- Maternal age and adverse pregnancy outcome: a cohort study.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 42: 634-643
- Prevalence and risk factors of gestational diabetes mellitus in Asia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-018-2131-4
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: All Asians are not alike.Prev Med. 2009; 49: 265-268
- Physiological, pharmacological, and nutritional regulation of circulating adiponectin concentrations in humans.Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2008; 6: 87-102
- Dairy consumption and insulin resistance: the role of body fat, physical activity, and energy intake.J Diabetes Res. 2015; 2015: 1-11
Tan KH, Kwek K, Ng MJ, Yeo SH, Wright A, Tagore S, et al. Introduction of the IADPSG Criteria for Screening and Diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. SingHealth Duke-NUS Scientific Congress 2016; 2016.
- Cohort profile: Singapore Preconception Study of Long-Term Maternal and Child Outcomes (S-PRESTO).Eur J Epidemiol. 2020; 1–14