- •We investigated hyperglycemia that occurs during chemotherapy causing poor outcomes.
- •New-onset diabetes mellitus incidence was 6.3% in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy with dexamethasone.
- •Risk factors of new-onset diabetes mellitus were male and underlying impaired fasting glucose.
- •After the end of chemotherapy, new-onset diabetes mellitus remitted in 64.7% patients.
- •We found that remission was associated with higher C-peptide level at baseline.
- Diabetes mellitus and the risk of cancer: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1871-1877
- Diabetes and cancer: Pathophysiological fundamentals of a ‘dangerous affair’.Diabetes Res Clinical Practice. 2018; 143: 378-388
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between diabetes mellitus and incidence and mortality in breast and colorectal cancer.Br J Surg. 2013; 100: 1421-1429
- Higher prevalence of lymph node metastasis in prostate cancer in patients with diabetes.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2018; 25: L19-L22
- Onco-metabolism: defining the prognostic significance of obesity and diabetes in women with brain metastases from breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 172: 221-230
- Diabetes is associated with the metastasis of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors.Pancreas. 2020; 49: 751-756
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on outcomes in patients with colon cancer.J Clin Oncol : Off J Am Soc Clinical Oncol. 2003; 21: 433-440
- Relation between the duration of remission and hyperglycemia during induction chemotherapy for acute lymphocytic leukemia with a hyperfractionated cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and dexamethasone/methotrexate-cytarabine regimen.Cancer. 2004; 100: 1179-1185
- Elevated HbA1c is an independent predictor of aggressive clinical behavior in patients with colorectal cancer: a case-control study.Dig Dis Sci. 2008; 53: 2486-2494
- Secondary diabetes associated with 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy regimens in non-diabetic patients with colorectal cancer: results from a single-centre cohort study.Colorectal Dis : Off J Assoc Coloproctol Great Britain Ireland. 2013; 15: 27-33
- Hyperglycemia during Adjuvant Chemotherapy as a Prognostic Factor in Breast Cancer Patients without Diabetes.J Breast Cancer. 2020; 23: 398-409
- Hyperglycemia during chemotherapy for hematologic and solid tumors is correlated with increased toxicity.Am J Clin Oncol. 2011; 34: 292-296
- Hyperglycemia in patients with hematologic malignancies.Curr Diab Rep. 2015; 15: 8
- Prognostic Significance of Hyperglycemia in Patients with Brain Tumors: a Meta-Analysis.Mol Neurobiol. 2016; 53: 1654-1660
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.BMJ. 2007; 335: 806-808
American Diabetes A. 2. Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2020. Diabetes Care. 2020;43:S14–S31.
World Health Organisation, International Association for the Study of Obesity, International Obesity TaskForce. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and its Treatment. Health Communications. Sydney; 2000. p. 15–21.
- Optimal reference interval for homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance in a Japanese population.J Diabetes Investig. 2011; 2: 373-376
- Insulin resistance distribution and cut-off value in koreans from the 2008–2010 Korean national health and nutrition examination survey.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11: e0154593
- Should C-reactive protein be added to metabolic syndrome and to assessment of global cardiovascular risk?.Circulation. 2004; 109: 2818-2825
- Hyperglycemia related to high-dose glucocorticoid use in noncritically ill patients.Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2013; 5: 18
- Hyperglycemia crisis in head and neck cancer patients with platinum-based chemotherapy.J Chin Med Assoc. 2018; 81: 1060-1064
- A pilot study evaluating steroid-induced diabetes after antiemetic dexamethasone therapy in chemotherapy-treated cancer patients.Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 48: 1429-1437
- Diabetes mellitus following cisplatin treatment.Acta Oncol. 2003; 42: 75-78
- Awareness of the adverse effects associated with prophylactic corticosteroid use during docetaxel therapy.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 1969-1977
- Incidence of diabetes after cancer development: A Korean national cohort study.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1099-1105
- Incidence of diabetes among postmenopausal breast cancer survivors.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 476-483
- Glucocorticoid-induced hyperglycemia.Endocr Pract. 2009; 15: 469-474
- Glycemic control and insulin improve muscle mass and gait speed in type 2 diabetes: The MUSCLES-DM study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; S1525–8610: 30967-30971
- Association between muscle mass and insulin sensitivity independent of detrimental adipose depots in young adults with overweight/obesity.Int J Obesity. 2020; 1–8
- Improvement of obesity-linked skeletal muscle insulin resistance by strength and endurance training.J Endocrinol. 2017; 234: R159-R181
- Steroid-induced hyperglycemia: An underdiagnosed problem or clinical inertia? A narrative review.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018; 139: 203-220