- •The incidence of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes in Wales has peaked.
- •Case numbers vary with season suggesting an influence of vitamin D.
- •Increasing hours of sunlight since 1980 may be contributing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- (2018) Trends and cyclical variation in the incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in 26 European centres in the 25 year period 1989–2013: a multicentre prospective registration study.Diabetologia. 2019; 62: 408-417https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-018-4763-3
- Association of type 1 diabetes with month of birth among US youth.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 2010-2015
- Seasonality of birth of patients with childhood diabetes in Britain.BMJ. 1996; 312: 1456-1457
- Counting diabetes in the next millennium: application of capture-recapture technology.Diabetes Care. 1993; 16: 528-534
- Rising incidence of insulin dependent diabetes in children aged under 5 years in the Oxford region: time trend analysis.BMJ. 1997; 315: 713-717
- Nationwide, prospective registration of type 1 diabetes in children aged <15 years in Norway 1989-1998. No increase but significant regional variation in incidence.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1618-1622
- Type 1 diabetes – early life origins and changing epidemiology.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020; 8: 226-238
- Increased incidence of type 1 diabetes in the south of Spain.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1099
- Is the incidence of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents stabilising? The first 6 years of a national register.Eur J Paed. 2016; 175: 1913-1919
- Thirty years of prospective nationwide incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes.Diabetes. 2011; 60: 577-581
- Increasing incidence of childhood onset type 1 diabetes in Norway. (Abstract).Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 337
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in Finland.JAMA. 2013; 310: 427-428
- Incidence trends of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths, 2002–2012.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1419-1429
- Testes and variants of male sexual development.in: Hung W. Clinical Paediatric Endocrinology. St Louis. Mosby Inc, Mo, USA1992: 268-312
- Early environmental events as a cause of IDDM. Evidence and implications.Diabetes. 1994; 43: 843-850
- Genetic and environmental interactions modify the risk of diabetes-related autoimmunity by 6 years of age: the TEDDY study.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 1194-1202
- Temporal changes in the frequencies of HLA genotypes in patients with Type 1 diabetes – indication of an increased environmental pressure.Diabetologia. 2003; 46: 420-425
- The rising incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes and reduced contribution of high-risk HLA haplotypes.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1699-1700
- Trends in high-risk HLA susceptibility genes among Colorado youth with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1392-1396
- Perinatal and neonatal determinants of childhood type 1 diabetes. A case-control study in Yorkshire, U.K.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 928-932
- Influence of maternal age at delivery and birth order on risk of type 1 diabetes in childhood: prospective population based family study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 420-424
- Maternal and paternal age at delivery, birth order and risk of childhood onset type 1 diabetes: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2001; 323: 369-371
- Birth weight and childhood onset type 1 diabetse: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2001; 322: 889-892
- Diabetes in the young: a paediatric and epidemiological perspective.Diabetologia. 2003; 46: 447-454
- Parental age at delivery, birth order, birth weight and gestational age are associated with risk of childhood type 1 diabetes: a UK regional retrospective cohort study.Diabetic Med. 2005; 22: 200-206
- Perinatal risk factors for childhood type 1 diabets in Western Australia – a population-based study (1980–2002).Diabetic Med. 2007; 24: 564-570
- Perinatal risk factors for early onset of type 1 diabetes in a 2000–2005 birth cohort.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 1193-1197
- Caesarian section is associated with an increased risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Diabetologia. 2008; 51: 726-735
- Rapid early growth is associated with increased risk of type 1 diabetes in various European populations.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 1755-1760
- Is autoimmunity or insulin resistance the primary driver of type 1 diabetes?.Curr Diab Rep. 2013; 13: 651-656
- Infections in early life and development of type 1 diabetes.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1899-1901
- Enterovirus infection is associated with an increased risk of childhood type 1 diabetes in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Diabetologia. 2015; 58: 79-86
- Seasonality of birth in children with diabetes in Europe: multicentre cohort study.BMJ. 1999; 319: 887-888
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in China 2010–13: population based study.BMJ. 2018; 360: j5295
- Immunomodulatory effect of vitamin D and its potential role in the prevention and treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus – a narrative review.Molecules. 2019; 24: 53
- Lower levels of plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D among young adults at diagnosis of autoimmune type 1 diabetes compared with control subjects: Results from the nationwide diabetes incidence study in Sweden (DISS).Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 2847-2852
- Low levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.Horm Metab Res. 2005; 37: 680-683
- Vitamin D status, enterovirus infection, and type 1 diabetes in Italian children/adolescents.Pediatr Diabetes. 2018; 19: 923-929
- Serum vitamin D levels are lower in Australian children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes than in children without diabetes.Pediatr Diabetes. 2013; 14: 31-41
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among newly diagnosed youth-onset diabetes mellitus in north India.Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2012; 56: 423-428
- Lower prediagnostic serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration is associated with higher risk of insulin-requiring diabetes: A nested case-control study.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 3224-3227
- Preclinical serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of type diabetes in a cohort of US military personnel.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 411-419
- Low serum vitamin-D status is associated with high prevalence and early onset of type-1 diabetes mellitus in Kuwaiti children.BMC Pediatr. 2016; 16: 95
- No association between vitamin D and β-cell autoimmunity in Finnish and Estonian children.Diabet Metab Res Rev. 2014; 30: 749-760
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in children progressing to autoimmunity and clinical type 1 diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 723-729
- No association of vitamin D intake or 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in childhood with risk of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes: The diabetes autoimmunity study in the young (DAISY).Diabetologia. 2011; 54: 2779-2788
- Maternal serum levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of type 1 diabetes in the offspring.Diabetes. 2012; 61: 175-178
- Use of cod liver oil during pregnancy associated with lower risk of type 1 diabetes in the offspring.Diabetologia. 2000; 43: 1093-1098
- Vitamin D fortification and seasonality of birth in type 1 diabetic cases: D-tect study – ERRATUM.J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2016; 7: 114-119
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level during early pregnancy and type 1 diabetes risk in the offspring.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 1291-1294
- Vitamin D levels at birth and risk of type 1 diabetes in childhood: a case-control study.Acta Diabetol. 2015; 52: 1077-1081
- Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1500-1503
The EURODIAB Substudy 2 Study Group. Vitamin D supplement in early childhood and risk for type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1999; 42: 51–4.
- The vitamin D status of the US population from 1988 to 2010 using standardized serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D shows recent modest increases.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 104: 454-461
- Vitamin D status in children over three decades – do children get enough vitamin D?.Bone Reports. 2016; 5: 150-152
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition. SACN vitamin D and health report. July 2016. .
- high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in type 1 diabetes mellitus and healthy children.Acta Diabetol. 2009; 46: 183-189
- Sun exposure behaviour, Seasonal vitamin D deficiency, and relation to bone health in adolescents.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 3105-3113
- A modelling approach to determine how much UV radiation is available across the UK and Ireland for health risk and benefit studies.Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2015; 14: 1073-1081
Bates B, Collins D, Cox L, et al. National Diet and Nutrition Survey: results for years 5 to 9 of the rolling programme for Wales (2012/2013-2016/2017) and time trend and income analysis (years 1 to 9; 2008/09-2016/17). 2019. https://gov.wales/national-diet-and-nutrition-survey-results-years-1-9-april-2008-march-2017.
Welsh Government. New advice on vitamin D intake. Welsh Health Circular WHC/2016/043 Oct 2016. www.gov.wales/vitamin-d-intake-revised-guidelines-whc2016043.