- •The impact of the diabetes prevention intervention on MVPA in South Asians is examined.
- •D-CLIP wasa a six-month, culturally-tailored translational study of the Diabetes Prevention Program carried out in South Asians.
- •The D-CLIP intervention increased MVPA by nearly an hour.
- •The intervention increased the proportion of respondents who reported ≥150 minutes of weekly MVPA.
- •Effects of the intervention were strongest at six months of follow-up.
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2017 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018; 138: 271-281
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 8th edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2017. http://www.diabetesatlas.org.
- Prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes (impaired fasting glucose and/or impaired glucose tolerance) in urban and rural India: Phase I results of the Indian Council of Medical Research–INdia DIABetes (ICMR–INDIAB) study.Diabetologia. 2011; 54: 3022-3027
- Prediabetes: a high-risk state for diabetes development.The Lancet. 2012; 379: 2279-2290
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 9th Edition. . Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2019.
- Incidence of diabetes and prediabetes and predictors of progression among Asian Indians: 10-year follow-up of the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES).Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1441-1448
- Microvascular and macrovascular complications of diabetes.Clin Diabetes. 2008; 26: 77
- Years of life lost and healthy life-years lost from diabetes and cardiovascular disease in overweight and obese people: a modelling study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 114-122
- Incidence of type 2 diabetes in England and its association with baseline impaired fasting glucose: the Ely study 1990–2000.Diabet Med. 2007; 24: 200-207
- Impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance: implications for care.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 753-759
Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Research Group. The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). Diabetes Care. 2002;25:2165.
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.New England J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Improved lifestyle and decreased diabetes risk over 13 years: long-term follow-up of the randomised Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS).Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 284-293
- The Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS): lifestyle intervention and 3-year results on diet and physical activity.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 3230-3236
- A systematic review of the translational research on the Diabetes Prevention Program.Translational Behav Med. 2011; 1: 480-491
- Prevention of diabetes mellitus in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance in the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study: results from a randomized clinical trial.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003; 14: S108-S113
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1).Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 289-297
- 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study.The Lancet. 2009; 374: 1677-1686
Lindström J, Louheranta A, Mannelin M, Rastas M, Salminen V, Eriksson J, et al. The Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study (DPS). Lifestyle intervention and 3-year results on diet and physical activity. 2003;26:3230-6.
- A model of translational research for diabetes prevention in low and middle-income countries: The Diabetes Community Lifestyle Improvement Program (D-CLIP) trial.Primary Care Diabetes. 2012; 6: 3-9
- The stepwise approach to diabetes prevention: results from the D-CLIP randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1760-1767
- The physical activity guidelines for Americans.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2020-2028
Lechner M. The estimation of causal effects by difference-in-difference methods.
- The development of self-efficacy scales for healthrelated diet and exercise behaviors.Health Educ Res. 1988; 3: 283-292
- G* Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Factors increasing physical activity levels in diabetes mellitus: a survey of patients after an inpatient diabetes education program.J Phys Therapy Sci. 2014; 26: 695-699
- Factors influencing physical activity behavior among Iranian women with type 2 diabetes using the extended theory of reasoned action.Diabetes Metab J. 2011; 35: 513-522
- Factors affecting uptake of an education and physical activity programme for newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.Eur Diabetes Nursing. 2008; 5: 17-22
- A systematic review of real-world diabetes prevention programs: learnings from the last 15 years.Implementation Sci. 2015; 10: 172
- Diabetes prevention in the real world: effectiveness of pragmatic lifestyle interventions for the prevention of type 2 diabetes and of the impact of adherence to guideline recommendations: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 922-933
- Calibrating self-reported MVPA strengthens relationship with metabolic syndrome.FASEB J. 2016; 30: 429.3-.3
- Comparison of self-reported versus accelerometer-measured physical activity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014; 46: 99-106
- Physical activity in U.S. Adults: compliance with the physical activity guidelines for Americans.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 454-461
- Social desirability bias and the validity of indirect questioning.J Consumer Res. 1993; 20: 303-315