- •In the GRADE cohort prevalence of diabetes-related complications at baseline ranged from 7-21%.
- •These complications overall exhibited expected relationships with non-glycemic risk factors.
- •Expected relationships with glycemia were not seen, likely owing to study enrollment criteria.
- •These observations provide a baseline for observations of randomized treatment effects.
- Diabetic neuropathy: a position statement by the american diabetes association.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 136-154
- Diabetic retinopathy: a position statement by the american diabetes association.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 412-418
- Diabetic kidney disease: a report from an ADA consensus conference.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2864-2883
- Microvascular disease and risk of cardiovascular events among individuals with type 2 diabetes: a population-level cohort study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 588-597
- The changing face of diabetes complications.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 537-547
- Projection of the year 2050 burden of diabetes in the US adult population: dynamic modeling of incidence, mortality, and prediabetes prevalence.Popul Health Metr. 2010; 8: 29
- Impact of glycemic control strategies on the progression of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in the Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes (BARI 2D) Cohort.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 3208-3215
- DCCT/EDIC research group: effect of glycemic exposure on the risk of microvascular complications in the diabetes control and complications trial–revisited.Diabetes. 2008; 57: 995-1001
- Effect of tight blood glucose control versus conventional control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Cardiovasc Ther. 2013; 31: 147-160
CONTROL Group, Turnbull FM, Abraira C, Anderson RJ, Byington RP, Chalmers JP, Duckworth WC, Evans GW, Gerstein HC, Holman RR et al: Intensive glucose control and macrovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2009, 52(11):2288-2298.
- Microvascular complications and their associated risk factors in type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2017; 11: S577-S581
- Development of microvascular complications and effect of concurrent risk factors in type 1 diabetes: a multistate model from an observational clinical cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 2297-2305
- Exploring residual risk for diabetes and microvascular disease in the diabetes prevention program outcomes study (DPPOS).Diabet Med. 2017;
- DCCT/EDIC research group: mediation of the effect of glycemia on the risk of CVD Outcomes in type 1 diabetes: the DCCT/EDIC study.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 1284-1289
- GRADE study research group: rationale and design of the glycemia reduction approaches in diabetes: a comparative effectiveness study (GRADE).Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2254-2261
- Grade research group: baseline characteristics of randomized participants in the glycemia reduction approaches in diabetes: a comparative effectiveness study (GRADE).Diabetes Care. 2019;
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- 11. Microvascular Complications and Foot Care: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2019.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: S124-S138
- DCCT/EDIC research group: use of the michigan neuropathy screening instrument as a measure of distal symmetrical peripheral neuropathy in type 1 diabetes: results from the diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications.Diabet Med. 2012; 29: 937-944
- Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: an analysis of the ACCORD randomised trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 419-430
- Reference ranges for short-term heart rate variability measures in individuals free of cardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).J Electrocardiol. 2016; 49: 686-690
- National heart lung and blood institute, american heart association: definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the national heart, lung, and blood institute/American heart association conference on scientific issues related to definition.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: e13-18
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a report of the american college of cardiology/american heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;
- Intermittent microalbuminuria in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus without clinical evidence of nephropathy.Eur J Pediatr. 1988; 147: 385-388
Mason H, J., Stevenson A.J., Williman N., Morgan M: Intra individual variability in markers of proteinuria for normal subjects and those with cadmium induced renal dysfunction: interpretation of results from untimed, random urine samples. Biomarkers 1999, 4(2):118-128.
- Changes in albumin excretion in the diabetes prevention program.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 720-725
- Diabetes prevention program research group: treatment-induced changes in plasma adiponectin do not reduce urinary albumin excretion in the diabetes prevention program cohort.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0136853
- Rosiglitazone reduces urinary albumin excretion in type II diabetes.J Hum Hypertens. 2003; 17: 7-12
- Kidney disease end points in a pooled analysis of individual patient-level data from a large clinical trials program of the dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitor linagliptin in type 2 diabetes.Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 66: 441-449
- Guard study investigators: effects of different ACE inhibitor combinations on albuminuria: results of the GUARD study.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 1303-1309
- Empagliflozin and progression of kidney disease in Type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016;
- Near-normalization of glucose and microvascular diabetes complications: data from ACCORD and ADVANCE.Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 2: 17-26
- Risk factors for incident diabetic polyneuropathy in a cohort with screen-detected type 2 diabetes followed for 13 years: ADDITION-Denmark.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 1068-1075
- Hamman RF: sensory neuropathy in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The san luis valley diabetes study.Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 131: 633-643
- Kora study group: prevalence of polyneuropathy in pre-diabetes and diabetes is associated with abdominal obesity and macroangiopathy: the MONICA/KORA augsburg surveys S2 and S3.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 464-469
- Association between metabolic syndrome components and polyneuropathy in an obese population.JAMA Neurol. 2016; 73: 1468-1476
- Relationship between cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy and coronary artery calcification in patients with type 2 diabetes.Endocr J. 2010; 57: 445-454
- Racial differences in symptoms and complications in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Ethn Health. 1999; 4: 39-49
- The clinical characteristics at diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in a multi-ethnic population: the South London Diabetes cohort (SOUL-D).Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 1272-1281
- Peripheral and autonomic neuropathy in south asians and white caucasians with type 2 diabetes mellitus: possible explanations for epidemiological differences.J Diabetes Res. 2017; 2017: 1273789
- Development and validation of risk equations for complications of type 2 Diabetes (RECODe) using individual participant data from randomised trials.Lancet Diab Endocrinol. 2017; 5: 788-798
- Years of life gained by multifactorial intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria: 21 years follow-up on the Steno-2 randomised trial.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 2298-2307
- Patient self-report of prior laser treatment reliably indicates presence of severe diabetic retinopathy.Am J Ophthalmol. 2009; 147: 501-504
- Los angeles latino eye study group: validity of self-reported eye disease and treatment in a population-based study: the los angeles latino eye study.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 1725-1730