- •SGLT-2 inhibitors demonstrated to reduce cardiovascular morbidity and, for empagliflozin, mortality.
- •Some concerns have been raised for an increased risk of amputations with SGLT-2 inhibitors.
- •The possibility that SGLT-2 inhibitors can also increase the risk of peripheral artery disease cannot be excluded.
- •Individual SGLT-2 inhibitors could have differential effects on amputations and peripheral artery disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Dapagliflozin and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2018;
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.New Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- SGLT2 inhibitors for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cardiovascular outcome trials.Lancet (London, England). 2018;
Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DGJAoim. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. 2009;151:264–9.
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin treatment in older subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized trial.Hospital Pract. 1995; 2013: 72-84
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin compared with placebo and sitagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes on background metformin monotherapy: a randomised trial.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 2582-2592
- Canagliflozin provides durable glycemic improvements and body weight reduction over 104 weeks versus glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes on metformin: a randomized, double-blind, phase 3 study.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 355-364
- Canagliflozin compared with sitagliptin for patients with type 2 diabetes who do not have adequate glycemic control with metformin plus sulfonylurea: a 52-week randomized trial.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2508-2515
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin over 52 weeks in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney disease.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2014; 16: 1016-1027
- Dapagliflozin add-on to metformin in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 102-week trial.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 43
- Efficacy and safety of dapagliflozin monotherapy in people with Type 2 diabetes: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled 102-week trial.Diabetic Med : A J Brit Diabetic Associat. 2015; 32: 531-541
- Dapagliflozin maintains glycaemic control while reducing weight and body fat mass over 2 years in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled on metformin.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2014; 16: 159-169
- Safety and efficacy of exenatide once weekly plus dapagliflozin once daily versus exenatide or dapagliflozin alone in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin monotherapy: 52-week results of the DURATION-8 randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 2136-2146
- Long-term study of patients with type 2 diabetes and moderate renal impairment shows that dapagliflozin reduces weight and blood pressure but does not improve glycemic control.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 962-971
- Dapagliflozin added to usual care in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus with preexisting cardiovascular disease: a 24-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with a 28-week extension.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 1252-1262
- Dapagliflozin versus glipizide as add-on therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes who have inadequate glycemic control with metformin: a randomized, 52-week, double-blind, active-controlled noninferiority trial.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 2015-2022
- Dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving high doses of insulin: efficacy and safety over 2 years.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2014; 16: 124-136
- Long-term treatment with empagliflozin as add-on to oral antidiabetes therapy in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015; 17: 665-674
- Efficacy and safety of empagliflozin added to existing antidiabetes treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 369-384
- Efficacy and safety of the addition of ertugliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled with metformin and sitagliptin: The VERTIS SITA2 placebo-controlled randomized study.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2018; 20: 530-540
- Combination of empagliflozin and linagliptin as second-line therapy in subjects with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 384-393
- Long-term safety and efficacy of empagliflozin, sitagliptin, and metformin: an active-controlled, parallel-group, randomized, 78-week open-label extension study in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 4015-4021
- Empagliflozin as add-on therapy to pioglitazone with or without metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Clin Ther. 2015; 37e1
- Empagliflozin as add-on to metformin in people with Type 2 diabetes.Diabetic Med : A J Brit Diabetic Associat. 2015; 32: 1555-1567
- Improved glucose control with weight loss, lower insulin doses, and no increased hypoglycemia with empagliflozin added to titrated multiple daily injections of insulin in obese inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1815-1823
- Impact of empagliflozin added on to basal insulin in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on basal insulin: a 78-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015; 17: 936-948
- Empagliflozin compared with glimepiride in metformin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes: 208-week data from a masked randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2018; 20: 2768-2777
- Canagliflozin and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.New Engl J Med. 2019;
- Epstein BJ Dapagliflozin: a novel sodium-glucose cotransporter type 2 inhibitor for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Pharmacotherapy. 2012; 32: 80-94