- •24-mth follow-up of a 12-mth intervention comparing IER vs CER in people with T2DM.
- •HbA1c increased above baseline levels in both groups.
- •Both groups maintained a weight loss of approximately 4 kg.
Abbreviations:HbA1c (glycated haemoglobin A1c)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. 8th ed. 2017. Brussels, Belgium, International Diabetes Federation. (accessed Nov 19, 2018) <https://www.idf.org/e-library/epidemiology-research/diabetes-atlas/134-idf-diabetes-atlas-8th-edition.html>.
World Health Organization. Global report on diabetes. World Health Organization, 2016. (accessed Nov 19, 2018) <https://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/>.
- Fasting for weight loss: an effective strategy or latest dieting trend?.Int J Obes (Lond). 2015; 39: 727-733
- Do intermittent diets provide physiological benefits over continuous diets for weight loss? A systematic review of clinical trials.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2015.09.014
- Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss?.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: e593-e601https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467- 789X.2011.00873.x
- Weight-loss outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of intermittent energy restriction trials lasting a minimum of 6 months.Nutrients. 2016; 8https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8060354
- Intermittent energy restriction and weight loss: a systematic review.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 292-299https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2015.195
- Potential benefits and harms of intermittent energy restriction and intermittent fasting amongst obese, overweight and normal weight subjects-A narrative review of human and animal evidence.Behav Sci (Basel). 2017; 7: 4https://doi.org/10.3390/bs7010004
- Intermittent fasting and human metabolic health.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1203-1212https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2015.02.018
- The effects of intermittent compared to continuous energy restriction on glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes; a pragmatic pilot trial.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016; 122: 106-112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2016.10.010
- Effect of intermittent compared with continuous energy restricted diet on glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized noninferiority trial.JAMA Network Open. 2018; 1: e180756https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.0756
- Intermittent fasting in type 2 diabetes mellitus and the risk of hypoglycaemia: a randomized controlled trial.Diabet Med. 2018; 35: 588-594https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13595
- Effects of intermittent fasting on health markers in those with type 2 diabetes: A pilot study.World J Diabetes. 2017; 8: 154-164https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v8.i4.154
- Effect of intensive dietetic interventions on weight and glycaemic control in overweight men with Type II diabetes: a randomised trial.Int J Obes. 2003; 27: 797-802https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802295
CSIRO.CSIRO total wellbeing diet online. (accessed Aug 1, 2014) <https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Health/CSIRO-diets/CSIRO-Total- Wellbeing-Diet-Online>.
- Two diets with different haemoglobin A1c and antiglycaemic medication effects despite similar weight loss in type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2014; 16: 90-93https://doi.org/10.1111/dom.12191
- HbA1c monitoring interval in patients on treatment for stable type 2 diabetes. A ten-year retrospective, open cohort study.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018; 135: 166-171https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2017.11.013
UKPDS. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with Type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet. 1998;352(9131):837–853.
U.K. Prospective Diabetes Study 16: Overview of 6 Years' Therapy of Type II Diabetes: A Progressive Disease. Diabetes 1995;44(11):1249-1258. <https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.44.11.1249>.
- Year-long weight loss treatment for obese patients with type II diabetes: does including an intermittent very-low-calorie diet improve outcome?.Am J Med. 1994; 97: 354-362
- Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1566-1575https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2010.334
- The treatment and prevention of obesity: a systematic review of the literature.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1997; 21: 715-737
- The prevention and treatment of obesity: application to Type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 1744-1766