Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), FINDRISC (Finnish Diabetes Risk Score), FPG (fasting plasma glucose), T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus), HICs (high-income countries), IFG (impaired fasting glucose), IGT (impaired glucose tolerance), LMICs (low/middle-income countries), OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test), ROC (receiver operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- IDF diabetes atlas.8th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2017
- Early-stage atherosclerosis in newly diagnosed, untreated type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance.Diabetes Metab. 2009; 35: 458-462
- Onset of NIDDM occurs at least 4–7 yr before clinical diagnosis.Diabetes Care. 1992; 15: 815-819
- Annual incidence and relative risk of diabetes in people with various categories of dysglycemia: a systematic overview and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007; 78: 305-312
- Early detection and treatment of type 2 diabetes reduce cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: a simulation of the results of the Anglo-Danish-Dutch study of intensive treatment in people with screen-detected diabetes in primary care (ADDITION-Europe).Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1449-1455
- Effect of screening for type 2 diabetes on risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality: a controlled trial among 139,075 individuals diagnosed with diabetes in Denmark between 2001 and 2009.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 2192-2199
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Should we screen for type 2 diabetes among asymptomatic individuals? Yes.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 2148-2152
- Type 2 diabetes incidence and socio-economic position: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40: 804-818
- Effects of the global financial crisis on health in high-income OECD countries: a narrative review.Int J Health Serv. 2016; 46: 208-240
International Diabetes Federation. Recommendations For managing type 2 diabetes in primary care; 2017.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2018.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: S13-S27
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of different screening procedures for type 2 diabetes: the KORA Survey 2000.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2120-2128
- Risk models and scores for type 2 diabetes: systematic review.BMJ. 2011; 343d7163
- Prediction models for risk of developing type 2 diabetes: systematic literature search and independent external validation study.BMJ. 2012; 345e5900
- Risk scores based on self-reported or available clinical data to detect undiagnosed type 2 diabetes: a systematic review.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 98: 369-385
- ESC Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD: the Task Force on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and developed in collaboration with the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 3035-3087
- The diabetes risk score: a practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes risk.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 725-731
- Shifting from glucose diagnosis to the new HbA1c diagnosis reduces the capability of the Finnish Diabetes Risk Score (FINDRISC) to screen for glucose abnormalities within a real-life primary healthcare preventive strategy.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 45
- Use of the diabetes risk score for opportunistic screening of undiagnosed diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance: the IGLOO (Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Long-Term Outcomes Observational) study.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 1187-1194
- A more simplified Finnish diabetes risk score for opportunistic screening of undiagnosed type 2 diabetes in a German population with a family history of the metabolic syndrome.Horm Metab Res. 2009; 41: 98-103
- Validation of the Finnish diabetes risk score (FINDRISC) questionnaire for screening for undiagnosed type 2 diabetes, dysglycaemia and the metabolic syndrome in Greece.Diabetes Metab. 2011; 37: 144-151
- Cross-sectional evaluation of the Finnish Diabetes Risk Score: a tool to identify undetected type 2 diabetes, abnormal glucose tolerance and metabolic syndrome.Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2005; 2: 67-72
- Performance of the Finnish diabetes risk score and a simplified Finnish diabetes risk score in a community-based, cross-sectional programme for screening of undiagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus and dysglycaemia in Madrid, Spain: the SPREDIA-2 study.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0158489
- Evaluation of the Finnish Diabetes Risk Score as a screening tool for impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance and undetected diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 92: 46-52
- Evaluation of the Finnish Diabetes Risk Score to predict type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Colombian population: a longitudinal observational study.World J Diabetes. 2015; 6: 1337-1344
- The performance of the Finnish Diabetes Risk Score, a modified Finnish Diabetes Risk Score and a simplified Finnish Diabetes Risk Score in community-based cross-sectional screening of undiagnosed type 2 diabetes in the Philippines.Prim Care Diabetes. 2013; 7: 249-259
Omech B, Mwita JC. Validity of the Finnish diabetes risk score for detecting undiagnosed type 2 diabetes among general medical outpatients in Botswana; 2016. p. 4968350.
- Evaluating FINDRISC as a screening tool for type 2 diabetes among overweight adults in the PREVIEW:NZ cohort.Prim Care Diabetes. 2017; 11: 561-569
- Evaluation of Finnish Diabetes Risk Score in screening undiagnosed diabetes and prediabetes among U.S. adults by gender and race: NHANES 1999–2010.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9e97865
- A school- and community-based intervention to promote healthy lifestyle and prevent type 2 diabetes in vulnerable families across Europe: design and implementation of the Feel4Diabetes-study.Public Health Nutr. 2018; : 1-10
https://www.diabetes.fi/files/502/eRiskitestilomake.pdf [assessed on 04/10/2018].
WHO: Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic Report of a WHO Consultation, Geneva; 2000.
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
WHO: Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Report of a WHO Consultation. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Geneva: World Health Organization. Department of Noncommunicable Disease Surveillance; 1999.
- The inconsistency of “optimal” cutpoints obtained using two criteria based on the receiver operating characteristic curve.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 670-675
- A comparison of cost per case detected of screening strategies for Type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose regulation: modelling study.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 97: 505-513
- Sensitivity, specificity, receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) curves and likelihood ratios: communicating the performance of diagnostic tests.Clin Biochem Rev. 2008; 29: S83-S87
- Diabetes primary prevention program: new insights from data analysis of recruitment period.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2018; : 34