Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Trends in drug utilization, glycemic control, and rates of severe hypoglycemia, 2006–2013.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 468-475
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus treatment patterns across Europe: a population-based multi-database study.Clin Ther. 2017; 39: 759-770
- Modern sulfonylureas: dangerous or wrongly accused?.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 629-631
- ATP-sensitive K+ channels and insulin secretion: their role in health and disease.Diabetologia. 1999; 42: 903-919
Bataille D. Molecular mechanisms of insulin secretion. Diabetes Metab 2002; 28(6 Suppl): 4S7–4S13.
- Association and stoichiometry of K(ATP) channel subunits.Neuron. 1997; 18: 827-838
- Tissue specificity of sulfonylureas: studies on cloned cardiac and beta-cell K(ATP) channels.Diabetes. 1998; 47: 1412-1418
- Forearm vascular reactivity is differentially influenced by gliclazide and glibenclamide in chronically treated type 2 diabetic patients.Clin Physiol Funct Imag. 2005; 25: 40-46
- Differential effect of sulfonylureas on production of reactive oxygen species and apoptosis in cultured pancreatic beta-cell line, MIN6.Metabolism. 2008; 57: 1038-1045
- Gliclazide scavenges hydroxyl and superoxide radicals: an electron spin resonance study.Metabolism. 2000; 49: 14-16
- Gliclazide improves anti-oxidant status and nitric oxide-mediated vasodilation in Type 2 diabetes.Diabet Med. 2002; 19: 752-757
- Efficacy of gliclazide in comparison with other sulphonylureas in the treatment of NIDDM.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1991; 14: S65-S67
- Secondary sulfonylurea failure: comparison of period until insulin treatment between diabetic patients treated with gliclazide and glibenclamide.Diabetes Res Clin Prac. 2005; 70: 291-297
Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Guidance for industry: diabetes mellitus – evaluating cardiovascular risk in new antidiabetic therapies to treat type 2 diabetes 2008. [Last accessed Feb 24 2018], available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm071627.pdf.
- A study of the effects of hypoglycemic agents on vascular complications in patients with adult-onset diabetes. II. Mortality results.Diabetes. 1970; 19: 789-830
- An analysis of the University Group Diabetes Study Program: data results and conslusions.Can Med Assoc J. 1971; 105: 292-294
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33.Lancet. 1998; 352: 837-853
- Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34.Lancet. 1998; 352: 854-865
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1577-1589
Vaccaro O, Masulli M, Nicolucci A, Bonora E, Del Prato S, Maggioni AP, et al., Thiazolidinediones Or Sulfonylureas Cardiovascular Accidents Intervention Trial (TOSCA.IT) study group; Italian Diabetes Society. Effects on the incidence of cardiovascular events of the addition of pioglitazone versus sulfonylureas in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin (TOSCA.IT): a randomised, multicentre trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2017;5(11):887–897.
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2560-2572
- ADVANCE-ON Collaborative Group. Follow-up of blood-pressure lowering and glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1392-1406
- ADVANCE-ON Collaborative Group. Long-term benefits of intensive glucose control for preventing end-stage kidney disease: ADVANCE- ON.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 694-700
- Intensified multifactorial intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria: the Steno type 2 randomised study.Lancet. 1999; 353: 617-622
- Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 383-393
- Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 580-591
- Mortality risk among sulfonylureas: a systematic review and network meta- analysis.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 43-51
- The infamous, famous sulfonylureas and cardiovascular safety: much ado about nothing?.Curr Diab Rep. 2017; 17: 124
- Sulfonylureas and the risks of cardiovascular events and death: a methodological meta-regression analysis of the observational studies.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 706-714
- Mortality and cardiovascular risk associated with different insulin secretagogues compared with metformin in type 2 diabetes, with or without a previous myocardial infarction: a nationwide study.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1900-1908
- Pharmacologic differences of sulfonylureas and the risk of adverse cardiovascular and hypoglycemic events.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 1506-1512
- Saxagliptin and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.New Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1317-1326
- Effect of sitagliptin on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes (TECOS).New Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 232-242
- EXAMINE Investigators. Alogliptin after acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1327-1335
- EMPA-REG OUTCOME Investigators. Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- CANVAS Program Collaborative Group. Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Design and baseline characteristics of the CARdiovascular Outcome Trial of LINAgliptin Versus Glimepiride in Type 2 Diabetes (CAROLINA®).Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2015; 12: 164-174
- Comparative effectiveness of oral antidiabetic drugs in preventing cardiovascular mortality and morbidity: a network meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0177646
McIntosh B, Cameron C, Singh SR, Yu C, Dolovich L, Houlden R. Choice of therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin and a sulphonylurea: a systematic review and mixed-treatment comparison meta- analysis. Open Med 2012;6(2):e62–e74.
Phung OJ, Scholle JM, Talwar M, Coleman CI. Effect of noninsulin antidiabetic drugs added to metformin therapy on glycemic control, weight gain, and hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2010;303(14):1410–8.37.
- Proportion of patients at HbA1c target <7% with eight classes of antidiabetic drugs in type 2 diabetes: systematic review of 218 randomized controlled trials with 78 945 patients.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012; 14: 228-233
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy and hypoglycemic safety of gliclazide versus other insulinotropic agents.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015; 110: 75-81
- Head-to-head comparison of dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitors and sulfonylureas – a meta-analysis from randomized clinical trials.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2014; 30: 241-256
- ADOPT Study Group. Glycemic durability of rosiglitazone, metformin, or glyburide monotherapy.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2427-2443
Chen K, Kang D, Yu M, Zhang R, Zhang Y, Chen G, et al. Direct head-to-head comparison of glycaemic durability of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors and sulphonylureas in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of long- term randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 2017. http://doi.org/10.1111/dom.13147. [Epub ahead of print].
- Glycaemic durability with dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of long-term randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e005442
- GRADE Study Research Group. Rationale and design of the glycemia reduction approaches in diabetes: a comparative effectiveness study (GRADE).Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2254-2261
Ridderstråle M, Andersen KR, Zeller C, Kim G, Woerle HJ, Broedl UC; EMPA-REG H2H-SU trial investigators. Comparison of empagliflozin and glimepiride as add-on to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 104-week randomised, active-controlled, double-blind, phase 3 trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2014;2(9):691–700.
- Long-term glycaemic response and tolerability of dapagliflozin versus a sulphonylurea as add-on therapy to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: 4-year data.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015; 17: 581-590
- Hanefeld M, et al.: for the RECORD Study Team. Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes in oral agent combination therapy for type 2 diabetes (RECORD):a multicentre, randomised, open-label trial.Lancet. 2009; 373: 2125-2135
- Weight changes following the initiation of new anti-hyperglycaemic therapies.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2007; 9: 96-102
- United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study 17: A 9-year update of a randomized, controlled trial on the effect of improved metabolic control on complications in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Ann Intern Med. 1996; 124: 136-145
- The efficacy of lowering glycated haemoglobin with a gliclazide modified release-based intensive glucose lowering regimen in the ADVANCE trial.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010; 89: 126-133
- Lower incidence of severe hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with glimepiride versus glibenclamide.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2001; 17: 467-473
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of hypoglycemia and cardiovascular events: a comparison of glyburide with other secretagogues and with insulin.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 389-394
- The incidence of mild and severe hypoglycaemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with sulfonylureas: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2014; 30: 11-22
- Glibenclamide vs gliclazide in type 2 diabetes of the elderly.Diabet Med. 1994; 11: 974-980
- Characteristics and time course of severe glimepiride- versus glibenclamide-induced hypoglycaemia.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2003; 59: 91-97
- Hypoglycaemia when adding sulphonylurea to metformin: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2016; 82: 1291-1302
- GUIDE study: double-blind comparison of once-daily gliclazide MR and glimepiride in type 2 diabetic patients.Eur J Clin Invest. 2004; 34: 535-542
- Group. Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2549
- VADT Investigators. Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 129-139
- ADVANCE Collaborative Group. Severe hypoglycemia and risks of vascular events and death.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1410-1418
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010; 20: 224-225
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 262-274
- Pharmacokinetic considerations for the treatment of diabetes in patients with chronic kidney disease.Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013; 9: 529-550
- ADVANCE Collaborative Group. Intensive glucose control improves kidney outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.Kidney Int. 2013; 83: 517-523
Health and Social Care Information Centre. Prescription Cost Analysis England 2016. NHS Digital 2017. Available from: http://www.content.digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB23631/pres-cost-anal-eng-2016-rep.pdf [Last accessed 15 June 2017].
- Second-line agents for glycemic control for type 2 diabetes: are newer agents better?.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 1338-1345
- Prescription patterns and the cost of antihyperglycemic drugs in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Germany.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2017; 11: 123-127
- 9. Cardiovascular disease and risk management: standards of medical care in diabetes-2018.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: S86-S104
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Type 2 diabetes in adults: management. Clinical Guideline Update (NG28). Methods, evidence and recommendations; 2015. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28 [Last accessed May 2017].
- Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, 2015: a patient-centered approach: update to a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 140-149
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE); American College of Endocrinology (ACE). Consensus statement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology on the comprehensive type 2 diabetes management algorithm – 2016 Executive Summary.Endocr Pract. 2016; 22: 84-113
- NHG- Standaard Diabetes mellitus type 2 (derde herziening).Huisarts Wet. 2013; 56: 512-525
Australian Diabetes Society. A new blood glucose management algorithm for type 2 diabetes. A position statement of the Australian Diabetes Society. Australia: Australian Diabetes Society; 2016. [Online] [accessed 11 May 2017].
Associazione Medici Diabetologi (AMD), Società Italiana di Diabetologia (SID). Standard italiani per la cura del diabete mellito; 2014. Available from: http://www.standarditaliani.it.
SEMDSA Type 2 Diabetes Guidelines Expert Committee. SEMDSA 2017 Guidelines for the Management of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. JEMDSA 2017; 22(1)(Supplement 1):S1–S196.
KDOQI. KDOQI clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice recommendations for diabetes and chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2007;49(2 suppl 2):S12–S154.
World Health Organization. WHO Model List of Essential Medicines. 20th List. March 2017, updated August 2017.
- Place of sulfonylureas in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in South Asia: A consensus statement.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 19: 577-596
- Canadian Diabetes Association 2013 clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of diabetes in Canada.Can J Diabetes. 2013; 37: A3-A13
- Sensitivity to sulphonylureas in patients with hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha gene mutations: evidence for pharmacogenetics in diabetes.Diabet Med. 2000; 17: 543-545
- Genetic cause of hyperglycaemia and response to treatment in diabetes.Lancet. 2003; 362: 1275-1281
- International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes. ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines 2014. The diagnosis and management of monogenic diabetes in children and adolescents.Pediatr Diabetes. 2014; 15: 47-64
- the EPIDIAR Study Group: a population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan in 13 countries: results of the Epidemiology of Diabetes and Ramadan 1422/2001 (EPIDIAR) study.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2306-2311
International Diabetes Federation (IDF), in collaboration with the Diabetes and Ramadan (DAR) International Alliance. Diabetes and Ramadan: Practical Guidelines. International Diabetes Federation; 2016.
- 2010 Ramadan Study Group. The incidence of hypoglycaemia in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sitagliptin or a sulphonylurea during Ramadan: a randomised trial.Int J Clin Pract. 2011; 65: 1132-1140
- Hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes from India and Malaysia treated with sitagliptin or a sulfonylurea during Ramadan: a randomized, pragmatic study.Curr Med Res Opin. 2012; 28: 1289-1296
- A double-blind, randomized trial, including frequent patient-physician contacts and Ramadan-focused advice, assessing vildagliptin and gliclazide in patients with type 2 diabetes fasting during Ramadan: the STEADFAST study.Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2014; 10: 319-326
- Chronic kidney disease in US adults with type 2 diabetes: an updated national estimate of prevalence based on Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) staging.BMC Res Notes. 2014; 2: 415
- Frequency of hypoglycemia and its significance in chronic kidney disease.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 1121-1127
- Diabetes treatment in patients with renal disease: Is the landscape clear enough?.World J Diabetes. 2014; 5: 651-658
- Pharmacokinetics and clinical use of incretin-based therapies in patients with chronic kidney disease and type 2 diabetes.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2015; 54: 1-21
US Food and Drug Administration. FDA drug safety communication: FDA strengthens kidney warnings for diabetes medicines canagliflozin (Invokana, Invokamet) and dapagliflozin (Farxiga, Xigduo XR). Available from: https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm505860.htm [Last accessed 17 March 2018].
- Glimepiride block of cloned beta-cell, cardiac and smooth muscle KATP channels.Br J Pharmacol. 2001; 133: 193-199
- Differential selectivity of insulin secretagogues: mechanisms, clinical implications, and drug interactions.J Diabetes Complications. 2003; 17: 11-15
- Differential sensitivity of beta-cell and extrapancreatic K(ATP) channels to gliclazide.Diabetologia. 1999; 42: 845-848
- Incomplete dissociation of glibenclamide from wild-type and mutant pancreatic K ATP channels limits their recovery from inhibition.Br J Pharmacol. 2009; 156: 354-361
- Sulfonylurea sensitivity of adenosine triphosphate- sensitive potassium channels from beta cells and extrapancreatic tissues.Metabolism. 2000; 49: 3-6