- •Women diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus before 24 weeks are at increased risk for adverse outcomes, specifically macrosomia.
- •We suggest caution with use of glyburide in women with an early diagnosis of GDM until further studies regarding glyburide use prior to 24 weeks are available.
- •There is a paucity of data regarding optimal glycemic targets for high-risk women with diabetes in pregnancy, and it is possible that different glycemic targets or alternate therapeutic approaches are needed in this population.
- •Further studies are also needed to establish the risks and benefits of early diabetes screening and treatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Effect of treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2477-2486
- A multicenter, randomized trial of treatment for mild gestational diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1339-1348
- Screening and subsequent management for gestational diabetes for improving maternal and infant health.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD007222
- One step versus two step approach for gestational diabetes screening: systematic review and meta-analysis of the randomized trials.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; : 1-9
- Practice bulletin No. 137: gestational diabetes mellitus.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 406-416
- Force USPST. Screening for gestational diabetes mellitus: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 414-420
- Diabetes-2017: Summary of Revisions.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: S4-s5
- Diabetes and pregnancy: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 4227-4249
- Carbohydrate metabolism during pregnancy in control subjects and women with gestational diabetes.Am J Physiol. 1993; 264: E60-E67
- First-trimester fasting hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes.Diab Care. 2009; 32: 1639-1643
- Gestational diabetes mellitus in early pregnancy: evidence for poor pregnancy outcomes despite treatment.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 75-81
- Trends in glyburide compared with insulin use for gestational diabetes treatment in the United States, 2000–2011.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1177-1184
- Adverse outcomes and potential targets for intervention in gestational diabetes and obesity.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 316-325
- Criteria for screening tests for gestational diabetes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 144: 768-773
Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO expert committee. World Health Organization technical report series 1995;854:1–452.
- New guidelines for weight gain during pregnancy: what obstetrician/gynecologists should know.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 21: 521-526
- Effect of excess gestational weight gain on pregnancy outcomes in women with type 1 diabetes.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1295-1302
- A United States national reference for fetal growth.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 163-168
- Moving towards best practice when using inverse probability of treatment weighting (IPTW) using the propensity score to estimate causal treatment effects in observational studies.Stat Med. 2015; 34: 3661-3679
- The central role of propensity score in observational studies for causal effects.Biometrika. 1983; 70: 41-55
Hyperglycaemia and adverse pregnancy outcome (HAPO) Study: associations with maternal body mass index. Bjog 2010;117:575-84.
- Gestational weight gain and neonatal adiposity in the Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome study-North American region.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014; 22: 1731-1738
- Predictors of glyburide failure in the treatment of gestational diabetes.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 1303-1309
- A comparison of glyburide and insulin in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1134-1138
- Prospective observational study to establish predictors of glyburide success in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.J Perinatol. 2004; 24: 617-622
- Glyburide for the management of gestational diabetes: risk factors predictive of failure and associated pregnancy outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 1090-1094
- Glibenclamide, metformin, and insulin for the treatment of gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2015; 350: h102
- Association of adverse pregnancy outcomes with glyburide vs insulin in women with gestational diabetes.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 452-458
- A pharmacologic approach to the use of glyburide in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 1309-1312
- Glyburide transport across the human placenta.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 583-588
- Are we optimizing gestational diabetes treatment with glyburide? The pharmacologic basis for better clinical practice.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 85: 607-614
- Placental growth response to maternal insulin in early pregnancy.J Clin Endocrinol metab. 2015; 100: 159-165
- Correspondence between first-trimester fasting glycaemia, and oral glucose tolerance test in gestational diabetes diagnosis.Diabetes Metab. 2012; 38: 458-461
International Association of D, Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus P, Metzger BE, et al. International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy. Diabetes Care 2010;33:676-82.
- Evaluation of the value of fasting plasma glucose in the first prenatal visit to diagnose gestational diabetes mellitus in china.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 586-590
- Late outcomes after carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: insights from a propensity-matched analysis of the Reduction of Atherothrombosis for Continued Health (REACH) Registry.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1091-1100
- Different intensities of glycaemic control for women with gestational diabetes mellitus.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 4: CD011624
☆This work was presented in part at the 75th Annual American Diabetes Association Scientific Meeting, June 2015, Boston, MA.