- •Largest gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) prevalence study in South Africa.
- •A prevalence of 9.1% was determined (World Health Organization’s 2013 diagnostic criteria).
- •Fasting plasma glucose reading alone had an 83.3% sensitivity in diagnosing GDM.
- •High rate of anaemia amongst women with GDM compared to women without GDM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries.Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: 3-21https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00456.x
International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 7th ed.; 2015 [13 July 2017].
- Media release: non-communicable diseases remain unabated – older ages 65 and above driving the burden of disease.Statistics South Africa, Pretoria2017
Department of Health, Medical Research Council, Measure DHS+. South Africa Demographic and Health Survey 2016: Key Indicator Report. Pretoria: 2017 03-00-09.
- International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1848
World Health Organization. Diagnostic criteria and classification of hyperglycaemia first detected in pregnancy. Geneva; 2013. Contract No.: WHO/NMH/MND/13.2.
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: S11-S24https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-S005
- Maternal environment and the transgenerational cycle of obesity and diabetes.Diabetes. 2011; 60: 1849-1855https://doi.org/10.2337/db11-0400
- Epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus and its association with Type 2 diabetes.Diabet. Med. 2004; 21: 103-113
- Gestational diabetes mellitus in africa: a systematic review.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e97871https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0097871
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus and the effect of weight on measures of insulin secretion and insulin resistance in third-trimester pregnant rural women residing in the Central Region of Limpopo Province, South Africa.Diabet. Med. 2007; 24: 233-239
- Screening for gestational diabetes mellitus in a South African population: Prevalence, comparison of diagnostic criteria and the role of risk factors.S. Afr. Med. J. 2017; 107: 523-527https://doi.org/10.7196/SAMJ.2017.v107i6.12043
- Different strategies for diagnosing gestational diabetes to improve maternal and infant health.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2017; 8 (CD007122)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007122.pub4
- Guidelines for maternity care in South Africa: a manual for clinics, community health centres and district hospitals.Department of Health, Pretoria2015
- Towards a European consensus on gestational diabetes mellitus: a pragmatic guide for diagnosis, management, and care. The Polish diabetes in pregnancy study group and FIGO.Ginekol Pol. 2017; 88: 46-49https://doi.org/10.5603/GP.a2017.0010
- Inadequacy of fasting plasma glucose to diagnose gestational diabetes mellitus in Asian Indian women.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: e21-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.07.008
- Fasting plasma glucose to avoid a full OGTT in the diagnosis of gestational diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 105: 322-326https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.06.001
- Single fasting plasma glucose versus 75-g oral glucose-tolerance test in prediction of adverse perinatal outcomes: a cohort study.EBioMedicine. 2017; 16: 284-291https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ebiom.2017.01.025
- SEMDSA 2017 guidelines for the management of Type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Endocrinol Metab Diabetes South Africa. 2017; 22 (1 (Supplement 1)):S1-196
Statistics South Africa. 2011 Census; 2011 [17 June 2017]; Available from: http://www.statssa.gov.za/?page_id=4286&id=11317.
World Health Organization. BMI Classification; 2017 [8 June 2017]; Available from: http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html.
- Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy.J Prenat Med. 2009; 3: 1-5
World Health Organization. Haemoglobin concentrations for the diagnosis of anaemia and assessment of severity. Geneva; 2011 Contract No.: WHO/NMH/NHD/MNM/11.1.
- Comparability of venous and capillary glucose measurements in blood.Diabet Med. 2003; 20: 953-956
- Comparison of capillary whole blood versus venous plasma glucose estimations in screening for diabetes mellitus in epidemiological studies in developing countries.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2011; 13: 586-591https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2010.0218
World Health Organization. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Report of a WHO consultation. Part 1: Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999.
- Investigation into longitudinal dietary behaviours and household socio-economic indicators and their association with BMI Z-score and fat mass in South African adolescents: the Birth to Twenty (Bt20) cohort.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 693-703https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980012003308
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Univeristy of the Witwatersrand. Wits Obstetrics: Guidelines for obstetric care at referral hospitals in Johannesburg. Johannesburg: University of the Witwatersrand; 2013.
- Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2015; 385: 117-171https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61682-2
- Prevalence of and risk factors for gestational diabetes using 1999, 2013 WHO and IADPSG criteria upon implementation of a universal one-step screening and diagnostic strategy in a sub-Saharan African population.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2015; 189: 27-32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2015.02.030
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus based on various screening strategies in western Kenya: a prospective comparison of point of care diagnostic methods.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 226https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-017-1415-4
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: S64-71https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-s064
- Iron intake, haemoglobin and risk of gestational diabetes: a prospective cohort study.BMJ open. 2012; 2https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001730
- Impact of iron deficiency anemia on prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 650-656
- A case-control study of prevalence of anemia among patients with type 2 diabetes.J Med Case Rep. 2016; 10: 110https://doi.org/10.1186/s13256-016-0889-4
- Periodontal disease is associated with gestational diabetes mellitus: a case-control study.J Periodontol. 2009; 80: 1742-1749https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.090250
- Interrelationship between chronic periodontitis and anemia: a 6-month follow-up study.J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2014; 18: 19-25https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.128194
- Management of diabetes in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: S77-9