- •Reduced excess mortality over time among patients with new-onset type 2 diabetes.
- •Poisson and competing risk regression survival modeling with matched controls.
- •Excess mortality mainly attributed to cardiovascular and endocrinological disease.
- •Doubled excess mortality among young patients < 55 years at time of diagnosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2013 and projections for 2035.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 103: 137-149
- Prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus: a nationwide population-based pharmaco-epidemiological study in Sweden.Diabet Med. 2015; 32: 1319-1328
- Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1513-1530
- Mortality trends in men and women with diabetes, 1971 to 2000.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 149-155
- Secular decline in mortality from coronary heart disease in adults with diabetes mellitus: cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 337: a236
- Years of life gained by multifactorial intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria: 21 years follow-up on the Steno-2 randomised trial.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 2298-2307
- Causes of death among diabetic patients in Denmark.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 294-302
- Mortality trends in patients with and without diabetes in Ontario, Canada and the UK from 1996 to 2009: a population-based study.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 2601-2608
- Excess Mortality among Persons with Type 2 Diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1720-1732
- Mortality trends in subjects with and without diabetes during 33 years of follow-up.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 551-556
- Trends in death rates among U.S. adults with and without diabetes between 1997 and 2006: findings from the National Health Interview Survey.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1252-1257
- Age-specific trends from 2000–2011 in all-cause and cause-specific mortality in type 1 and type 2 diabetes: a cohort study of more than one million people.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1018-1026
- A 12-year follow-up study of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality among 10,532 people newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in Tayside.Scotland Diabet Med. 2010; 27: 1124-1129
- Is relative mortality of type 2 diabetes mellitus decreasing?.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 169: 455-461
- The prevalence of diabetes in a Swedish population of 280,411 inhabitants. A report from the Skaraborg Diabetes Registry.Diabetes Care. 1998; 21: 546-548
- Mortality is not increased in recombinant human growth hormone-treated patients when adjusting for birth characteristics.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 2149-2159
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J Am Stat Assoc. 1999; 94: 496-509
Cleves M, Gould WW, Marchenko YV. An introduction to survival analysis using stata. 3rd ed. Stata Press: College Station, TX; 2016.
- Explaining the decline in early mortality in men and women with type 2 diabetes: a population-based cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1761-1766
- The Swedish personal identity number: possibilities and pitfalls in healthcare and medical research.Eur J Epidemiol. 2009; 24: 659-667
- Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation.Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 539-553
- Mortality trends among people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes in Australia: 1997–2010.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2579-2586
- Improved survival in both men and women with diabetes between 1980 and 2004–a cohort study in Sweden.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2008; 7: 32
- The danish national diabetes register: trends in incidence, prevalence and mortality.Diabetologia. 2008; 51: 2187-2196
- Screening for type 2 diabetes: do screen-detected cases fare better?.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 2200-2209
Nationella Diabetesregistret. Årsrapport 2016, <https://www.ndr.nu/pdfs/Arsrapport_NDR_2016.pdf>; 2017 [accessed 26 October 2017].
- Mortality and cardiovascular disease in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1407-1418
- Trends in type 2 diabetes incidence and mortality in Scotland between 2004 and 2013.Diabetologia. 2016; 59: 2106-2113