- •Weight gained during pregnancy and maternal BMI predict birth weight in gestational diabetes.
- •Early prenatal nutritional monitoring improves newborn’s birth weight.
- •These results may contribute to a review of prenatal routines.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus-do the new WHO criteria make a difference? Brazilian Gestational Diabetes Study Group.Diabet Med. 2000; 17: 376-380
American Diabetes Association (ADA). 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes-2018. Diabetes Care 2018;41(Suppl. 1):S13. http://doi.org/10.2337/dc18-S002.
- Gestational diabetes: the public health relevance and approach.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 97: 350-358https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2012.04.024
- Being macrosomic at birth is an independent predictor of overweight in children: results from the IDEFICS study.Matern Child Health J. 2013; 17: 1373-1381https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-012-1136-2
World Health Organization (WHO). Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycemia: report of a WHO/IDF consultation. Geneva: WHO; 2006.
- Infant mortality, childhood nutrition and ischaemic heart disease in England and Wales.Lancet. 1986; 1: 1077-1081
Brown JE, Murtaugh MA, Jacobs Jr DR, Margellos HC. Variation in newborn size according to pregnancy weight change by trimester. Am J ClinNutr 2002;76:205–9.
- Birth weight variation according to maternal characteristics and gestational weight gain in Brazilian women.NutrHosp. 2009; 24: 207-212
- Fetal macrosomia risk factors in pregnancies complicated by diabetes or daily hyperglycemia.Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet. 2005; 27: 580-587
- Predictors of large and small for gestational age birth weight in offspring of women with gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabet Med. 2013; 30: 1040-1046https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12207
- Gestational weight gain and macrosomia in a cohort of mothers and their children.J Pediatr. 2005; 81: 47-53
- Obstetric, social, economic and nutritional factors of pregnant women of newborn weight: study accomplished in a maternity in Teresina, Piauí.Rev Bras Saúde Matern Infant. 2004; 4: 253-261
- Association between gestational night blindness and serum retinol in mother/newborn pairs in the city of Rio de Janeiro.Brazil Nutrit. 2005; 21: 456-461
- (IADPSG). Recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1848
Organização Pan-Americana da Saúde. Ministério da Saúde. Federação Brasileira das Associações de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia. Sociedade Brasileira de Diabetes. Screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus in Brazil. Brasília (DF): OPAS; 2016.
Bornia RG, Costa Júnior IB, Amim Júnior J. Assistance Protocols. Maternity School. Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Anesthesiology, Neonatology, Obstetrics. Rio de Janeiro: Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro; 2013.
Institute of Medicine (IOM). Weight gain during pregnancy: reexamining the guidelines; 2009.
- Nutrition recommendations and principles for people with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 1995; 18: S24-S25
- Official carbohydrate counting manual for health professionals. SBD, Rio de Janeiro2009
Brasil. Ministério da Saúde (MS). Regulatory guidelines and norms of research involving human beings. Resolution 196/96 of the National Health Council. Rio de Janeiro: Fundação Oswaldo Cruz; 1998.
- Nutritional status of pregnant women: prevalence and associated pregnancy outcomes.Rev Saúde Pública. 2001; 35: 502-507
- Evaluation of efficacy and effectiveness of prenatal nutritional care on perinatal outcome of pregnant women; Rio de Janeiro.Brazil Nutr Hosp. 2015; 32: 845-854https://doi.org/10.3305/nh.2015.32.2.9045
- A model for a new pyramid of prenatal care based on the 11 to 13 weeks assessment.Prenat Diagn. 2011; 31: 3-6https://doi.org/10.1002/pd.2685
- Specific role of maternal weight change in the first trimester of pregnancy on birth size.Matern Child Nutr. 2014; 10: 315-326https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00423.x
- Trimester of maternal gestational weight gain and offspring body weight at birth and age five.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1215-1223https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-011-0846-1
- Weight gain and gestational outcomes in women attending the Family Health Program in Campina Grande, PB (Brazil).Rev Bras Epidemiol. 2007; 10: 352-360
- Gestational Diabetes in the years 2000 and 2010: A portrait of a society?.Rev Port Endocrinol Diabetes Metab. 2013; 8: 21-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpedm.2012.09.001
- Lifestyle intervention can reduce the risk of gestational diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Obes Rev. 2016; 17: 960-969https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12442
- Birth weight and factors associated with the prenatal period: a cross-sectional study in a maternity hospital of reference.Ciênc Saúde Coletiva. 2014; 19: 2063-2072https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-81232014197.20692013
- Birth weight: a nutricional approach.Com Ciências Saúde. 2013; 22: 19-30
- First-trimester fasting hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1639-1643https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-0688 & #xB7
- Introduction of IADPSG criteria for the screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus results in improved pregnancy outcomes at a lower cost in a large cohort of pregnant women: the St. Carlos gestational diabetes study.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2442-2450https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-0179
- The impact of the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups (IADPSG) fasting glucose diagnostic criterion on the prevalence and outcomes of gestational diabetes mellitus in Han Chinese women.Diabet Med. 2014; 31: 341-351https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12349
Mayo K, Melamed N, Vandenberghe H, Berger H. The impact of adoption of the International Association of Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group criteria for the screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes. Am J ObstetGynecol 2015;212:224.e1–9. .
- Counterpoint: establishing consensus in the diagnosis of GDM following the HAPO study.Curr Diab Rep. 2014; 14: 497https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-014-0497-x
- Association between hyperglycaemia and adverse perinatal outcomes in south Asian and white British women: analysis of data from the Born in Bradford cohort.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 795-804https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(15)00255-7
- Effect of maternal weight, adipokines, glucose intolerance and lipids on infant birth weight among women without gestational diabetes mellitus.CMAJ. 2012; 184: 1353-1360https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.111154
- Macrosomia: results and preventions strategies.Femina. 2007; 35: 317-321
- Association between maternal and fetal weight gain: cohort study.Sao Paulo Med J. 2012; 130: 242-247https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-31802012000400007
- Low birth weight in two population-based cohorts in southern Brazil.Cad Saude Publica. 1996; 12: S27-S31
- Impact of the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups criteria for gestational diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015; 108: 288-295https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2015.02.007