- •The risk of developing impaired insulin secretion increases with increase in alcohol consumption.
- •The risk of developing insulin resistance increases with increase in alcohol consumption.
- •There is no sex difference in the associations between alcohol consumption and the risk of insulin action.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Alcohol as a risk factor for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 2123-2132
- Alcohol consumption and the risk of Type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of more than 1.9 million individuals from 38 observational studies.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1804-1812
- Association between alcohol consumption pattern and the incidence risk of type 2 diabetes in Korean men: A 12-years follow-up study.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 7322
- Association of alcohol consumption with the impaired β-cell function independent of body mass index among Chinese men.Endocr J. 2012; 59: 425-433
- Flushing response modifies the association of alcohol consumption with markers of glucose metabolism in Japanese men and women.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014; 38: 1042-1048
- RISC Study Group. Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with improved insulin sensitivity, reduced basal insulin secretion rate and lower fasting glucagon concentration in healthy women.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 3228-3237
- Alcohol consumption is inversely correlated with insulin resistance, independent of metabolic syndrome factors and fatty liver diseases.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2011; 45: 808-813
- Insulin sensitivity and regular alcohol consumption: large, prospective, cross sectional population study (Bruneck study).BMJ. 1996; 313: 1040-1044
- Regular alcohol consumption improves insulin resistance in healthy Japanese men independent of obesity.Int J Clin Chem. 2007; 382: 71-76
- Ethnic differences in the relationship between insulin sensitivity and insulin response: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1789-1796
- Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity at different stages of glucose tolerance: a cross-sectional study of Japanese type 2 diabetes.Metabolism. 2004; 53: 831-835
- Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity in relation to glucose tolerance: lessons from the Botnia Study.Diabetes. 2000; 49: 975-980
- Impact of impaired insulin secretion and insulin resistance on the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Japanese population: the Saku study.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 1671-1679
- Effect of body mass index on insulin secretion or sensitivity and diabetes.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 128-135
- Risk of proteinuria among individuals with persistent borderline diabetes: the Saku study.Diabetol Int. 2016; 7: 181-187
World Health Organization Department of Noncommunicable Disease Surveillance. Report of a WHO Consultation: Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications: Part 1. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Geneva: Switzerland; 1999.
- A prospective study of health check examinees for the development of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: relationship of the incidence of diabetes with the initial insulinogenic index and degree of obesity.Diabet Med. 1996; 13: S120-S126
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Alcohol. <http://www1.mhlw.go.jp/topics/kenko21_11/b5.html#A52> [accessed 01.06.17].
- Executive summary of the Japan Atherosclerosis Society (JAS) guidelines for the diagnosis and prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases in Japan -2012 version.J Atheroscler Thromb. 2013; 20: 517-523
- The loss of postprandial glycemic control precedes stepwise deterioration of fasting with worsening diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 263-269
- Alcohol intake and insulin levels. The Normative Aging Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 909-916
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. National Health and Nutrition Survey; 2009. <http://www.mhlw.go.jp/seisakunitsuite/bunya/kenkou_iryou/kenkou/kenkounippon21/en/eiyouchousa/koumoku_seikatsu_syuukan_chousa.html> [accessed 01.06.17].
- Frequency of the atypical aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 gene (ALDH2(2)) in Japanese and Caucasians.Am J Hum Genet. 1988; 43: 741-743
- Distribution of ADH2 and ALDH2 genotypes in different populations.Hum Genet. 1992; 88: 344-346