- •It is not unclear if proton pump inhibitor (PPI) use is associated with subsequent risk of impaired renal function or the development or progression of albuminuria in patients with diabetes.
- •PPI use is not associated with the subsequent risk of estimated glomerular filtration rate decline.
- •PPI use is not also associated with the development nor progression of albuminuria in patients with diabetes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1127-1133
- Albuminuria and risk of cardiovascular events, death, and heart failure in diabetic and nondiabetic individuals.JAMA. 2001; 286: 421-426
- Overprescribing proton pump inhibitors.BMJ. 2008; 336: 2-3
- Continuation of proton pump inhibitors from hospital to community.Pharmacy World Sci: PWS. 2006; 28: 189-193
- Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fracture.JAMA. 2006; 296: 2947-2953
- Risk of community-acquired pneumonia with outpatient proton-pump inhibitor therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10: e0128004
- Risk of Clostridium difficile diarrhea among hospital inpatients prescribed proton pump inhibitors: cohort and case-control studies.CMAJ. 2004; 171: 33-38
- A nationwide nested case-control study indicates an increased risk of acute interstitial nephritis with proton pump inhibitor use.Kidney Int. 2014; 86: 837-844
- Proton pump inhibitor use and the risk of chronic kidney disease.JAMA Internal Med. 2016; 176: 238-246
- Proton pump inhibitors and risk of incident CKD and progression to ESRD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 3153-3163
- Correlations between serum bilirubin levels and diabetic nephropathy progression among Japanese type 2 diabetic patients: a prospective cohort study (Diabetes Distress and Care Registry at Tenri [DDCRT 5]).Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 252-258
- Diabetes treatment-related quality of life is associated with levels of self-care activities in insulin injection among Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes: Diabetes Distress and Care Registry at Tenri (DDCRT 8).Acta Diabetol. 2015; 52: 639-647
- Elevated levels of hs-CRP are associated with high prevalence of depression in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes: the diabetes distress and care registry at Tenri (DDCRT 6).Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2459-2465
- Report of the committee on the classification and diagnostic criteria of diabetes mellitus.J Diabetes Invest. 2010; 1: 212-228
- Revised equations for estimated GFR from serum creatinine in Japan.Am J Kidney Dis: Off J Natl Kidney Found. 2009; 53: 982-992
- Nephropathy in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S79-83
- Risk factors for the development of albuminuria and renal impairment in type 2 diabetes–the Swedish National Diabetes Register (NDR).Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26: 1236-1243
- Proton pump inhibitors and the risk of acute kidney injury in older patients: a population-based cohort study.CMAJ Open. 2015; 3: E166-171
- Acute interstitial nephritis due to omeprazole.Am J Med. 1992; 93: 472-473
- Omeprazole-induced acute interstitial nephritis: a possible Th1-Th17-mediated injury?.Nephrology (Carlton). 2014; 19: 359-365
- Acute interstitial nephritis.Kidney Int. 2010; 77: 956-961
- Proton pump inhibitors and the kidney: critical review.Clin Nephrol. 2007; 68: 65-72
- Lower serum magnesium levels are associated with more rapid decline of renal function in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2.Clin Nephrol. 2005; 63: 429-436
- Drug-induced acute interstitial nephritis.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2010; 6: 461-470
- Review of select causes of drug-induced AKI.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 8: 367-371
- Proton-pump inhibitor use is associated with low serum magnesium concentrations.Kidney Int. 2013; 83: 692-699
- Hypomagnesemia in type 2 diabetic nephropathy: a novel predictor of end-stage renal disease.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1591-1597
- Co-administration of proton pump inhibitors ameliorates nephrotoxicity in patients receiving chemotherapy with cisplatin and fluorouracil: a retrospective cohort study.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2017; 79: 943-949
- Organic cation transporter 2 overexpression may confer an increased risk of gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016; 60: 5573-5580
- Substrate-dependent inhibition of the human organic cation transporter OCT2: a comparison of metformin with experimental substrates.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10: e0136451
- Proton pump inhibitors inhibit metformin uptake by organic cation transporters (OCTs).PLoS ONE. 2011; 6: e22163