- •Synbiotic supplementation significantly reduced SBP and DBP.
- •Synbiotic led to significant within group increases in HDL-C and TAC levels in synbiotic group.
- •Serum levels of TC and TG were significantly increases in both groups.
- •A significant within group increase was found in LDL-C levels in placebo group.
- •Short term supplementation of synbiotic may be useful in management of gestational diabetes mellitus complications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: S13-S22https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-S005
- Prevalence of gestational diabetes and risk of progression to type 2 diabetes: a global perspective.Curr Diab Rep. 2016; 16: 7https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-015-0699-x
- Disturbances in lipid metabolism in diabetic pregnancy–are these the cause of the problem?.Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2010; 24: 515-525https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beem.2010.05.006
- The role of oxidative stress in the pathophysiology of gestational diabetes mellitus.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011; 15: 3061-3100https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2010.3765
- Antioxidant vitamins and lipoperoxidation in non-pregnant, pregnant, and gestational diabetic women: erythrocytes osmotic fragility profiles.J Clin Med Res. 2010; 2: 266-273https://doi.org/10.4021/jocmr454w
- A metagenomic approach to characterization of the vaginal microbiome signature in pregnancy.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e36466https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0036466
- Maternal nutrition and fetal development.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2169-2172
Food J, Group AOWHOW. Guidelines for the evaluation of probiotics in food. London, Ontario, Canada: Joint Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization; 2002.
- Gut microbiota, probiotics and diabetes.Nutr J. 2014; 13: 60https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-13-60
- Effect of a prebiotic mixture on intestinal comfort and general wellbeing in health.Br J Nutr. 2008; 100: 1077-1085https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508960918
- Effect of probiotics on glycemic control: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0132121https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0132121
Hendijani F, Akbari V. Probiotic supplementation for management of cardiovascular risk factors in adults with type II diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Nutr 2017. pii: S0261–5614(17)30065-1. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2017.02.015.
- Probiotic yogurt improves antioxidant status in type 2 diabetic patients.Nutrition. 2012; 28: 539-543https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2011.08.013
Jafarnejad S, Saremi S, Jafarnejad F, Arab A. Effects of a multispecies probiotic mixture on glycemic control and inflammatory status in women with gestational diabetes: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Nutr Metabol 2016;2016. http://doi.org/10.1155/2016/5190846.
- Effects of synbiotic food consumption on glycemic status and serum hs-CRP in pregnant women: a randomized controlled clinical trial.Hormones (Athens). 2014; 13: 398-406https://doi.org/10.14310/horm.2002
- The effects of probiotic supplementation on biomarkers of inflammation, oxidative stress and pregnancy outcomes in gestational diabetes.J Maternal-Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; : 1-9https://doi.org/10.1080/14767058.2017
Lindsay KL, Brennan L, Kennelly MA, Maguire OC, Smith T, Curran S, et al. Impact of probiotics in women with gestational diabetes mellitus on metabolic health: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstetr Gynecol 2015;212:496-e1–496-e11. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2015.02.008.
- The effects of synbiotic supplementation on markers of insulin metabolism and lipid profiles in gestational diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Br J Nutr. 2016; 116: 1394-1401https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516003457
- Effect of daily consumption of probiotic yoghurt on insulin resistance in pregnant women: a randomized controlled trial.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013; 67: 71-74https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2012.189
Association AD. Standards of medical care in diabetes—2014. Diabetes Care 2014; 37 (Suppl. 1): S14–S80. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2014; 37 (Suppl. 1): S81–S90. Diabetes Care. 2014;37:887. http://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-S005.
- A novel method for measuring antioxidant capacity and its application to monitoring the antioxidant status in premature neonates.Clin Sci. 1993; 84: 407-412
- Probiotics in obese pregnancy do not reduce maternal fasting glucose: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial (Probiotics in Pregnancy Study).Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1432-1439https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.079723
- Antidiabetic effect of probiotic dahi containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei in high fructose fed rats.Nutrition. 2007; 23: 62-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2006.09.002
- Effect of multispecies probiotic supplements on metabolic profiles, hs-CRP, and oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes.Ann Nutr Metab. 2013; 63: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1159/000349922
- Functional analysis of four bile salt hydrolase and penicillin acylase family members in Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008; 74: 4719-4726https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00137-08
- Removal of cholesterol by lactobacilli via incorporation and conversion to coprostanol.J Dairy Sci. 2010; 93: 1383-1392https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2574
- Cholesterol assimilation by lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria isolated from the human gut.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002; 68: 4689-4693https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM
- S layer protein A of Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM regulates immature dendritic cell and T cell functions.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2008; 105: 19474-19479https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0810305105
- Influence of a combination of Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM and lactitol on healthy elderly: intestinal and immune parameters.Br J Nutr. 2008; 101: 367-375https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508003097
- Antioxidative probiotic fermented goats' milk decreases oxidative stress-mediated atherogenicity in human subjects.Br J Nutr. 2003; 90: 449-456https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2003896
- The consumption of synbiotic bread containing Lactobacillus sporogenes and inulin affects nitric oxide and malondialdehyde in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Am Coll Nutr. 2016; 35: 506-513https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2015.1032443
- Antioxidative ability of lactic acid bacteria.J Agric Food Chem. 1999; 47: 1460-1466https://doi.org/10.1021/jf981149l
- Antioxidative activities of soymilk fermented with lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria.Food Microbiol. 2006; 23: 128-135https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2005.01.020
- Antioxidative effect of intestinal bacteria Bifidobacterium longum ATCC 15708 and Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356.Dig Dis Sci. 2000; 45: 1617-1622https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005577330695
- Effect of probiotics on antioxidant and antimutagenic activities of crude peptide extract from yogurt.Food Chem. 2014; 156: 264-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.01.105
- Hypocaloric diet supplemented with probiotic cheese improves body mass index and blood pressure indices of obese hypertensive patients-a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 138https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-12-138
Mahboobi S, Iraj B, Maghsoudi Z, Feizi A, Ghiasvand R, Askari G, et al. The effects of probiotic supplementation on markers of blood lipids, and blood pressure in patients with prediabetes: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Prevent Med 2014;5.
- Effects of synbiotic supplementation on insulin resistance in subjects with the metabolic syndrome: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study.Br J Nutr. 2014; 112: 438-445https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514000919
- Influence of consumption of probiotics on the plasma lipid profile: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Nutri, Metabol Cardiovasc Dis. 2011; 21: 844-850https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2011.04.008
- Release and identification of angiotensin-converting enzyme-inhibitory peptides as influenced by ripening temperatures and probiotic adjuncts in Cheddar cheeses.LWT-Food Sci Technol. 2008; 41: 1555-1566https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.11.026
- The improvement of hypertension by probiotics: effects on cholesterol, diabetes, renin, and phytoestrogens.Int J Mol Sci. 2009; 10: 3755-3775https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms10093755
- Anti-diabetic effects of lactic acid bacteria in normal and type 2 diabetic mice.J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2012; 51: 96-101https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.11-07