- •Global diabetes prevalence was estimated for 2015 and 2040.
- •In 2015, prevalence of diabetes in adults was estimated to be 8.8%.
- •In 2015, 16.2% of live births were associated with hyperglycaemia in pregnancy.
- •In 2040, the prevalence of diabetes in adults is predicted to rise to 10.4%.
- •Diabetes prevalence continues to rise across the globe.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Kidney disease and increased mortality risk in type 2 diabetes.J Am Soc Nephrol JASN. 2013; 24: 302-308https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2012070718
Ahmad OB, Boschi-Pinto C, Lopez AD, Murray CJ, Lozano R, Inoue M. Age standardization of rates: a new WHO standard (GPE Discussion Paper Series: No.31). Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2001.
- Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1033-1046https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-2625
- The relationship of sugar to population-level diabetes prevalence: an econometric analysis of repeated cross-sectional data.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e57873https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057873
- Estimating the impact of better management of glycaemic control in adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes on the number of clinical complications and the associated financial benefit.Diabet Med. 2016; 33: 1575-1581https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13062
- Epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus and its association with Type 2 diabetes.Diabet Med. 2004; 21: 103-113https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-5491.2003.00985.x
- Estimating prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in a population of African Americans with diabetes mellitus.Am J Epidemiol. 1999; 149: 55-63
- Incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes in adults aged 30–49 years: the population-based registry in the province of Turin, Italy.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2613-2619
- Risk assessment tools for identifying individuals at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.Epidemiol Rev. 2011; 33: 46-62https://doi.org/10.1093/epirev/mxq019
- Country profiles, World factbook.Central Intelligence Agency, Fairfax, USA2015
- Intrauterine exposure to diabetes conveys risks for type 2 diabetes and obesity: a study of discordant sibships.Diabetes. 2000; 49: 2208-2211https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.49.12.2208
- IDF diabetes atlas estimates of 2014 global health expenditures on diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016; 117: 48-54https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2016.04.016
- Glycemic control and diabetes-related health care costs in type 2 diabetes; retrospective analysis based on clinical and administrative databases.Clin Outcomes Res CEOR. 2013; 5: 193-201https://doi.org/10.2147/CEOR.S41846
Diabetes UK. The cost of diabetes. Diabetes UK, London, United Kingdom; 2014.
- Diabetes in 1964; a world survey.Diabetes. 1965; 14: 212-223
- Socio-economic status, obesity and prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabet Med J Br Diabet Assoc. 2000; 17: 478-480
- Predictive models to assess risk of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and comorbidity: machine-learning algorithms and validation using national health data from Kuwait–a cohort study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-002457
- Different type 2 diabetes risk assessments predict dissimilar numbers at “high risk”: a retrospective analysis of diabetes risk-assessment tools.Br J Gen Pract J R Coll Gen Pract. 2015; 65: e852-860https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp15X687661
- The International Diabetes Federation diabetes atlas methodology for estimating global and national prevalence of diabetes in adults.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: 322-332https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.10.040
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of diabetes prevention among adherent participants.Am J Manage Care. 2013; 19: 194-202
- Current prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in adults and children in the UK.Diabet Med J Br Diabet Assoc. 2015; 32: 1119-1120https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12791
- Update of mortality attributable to diabetes for the IDF Diabetes Atlas: estimates for the year 2011.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 100: 277-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.02.005
- IDF Diabetes atlas.6th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2013
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.5th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2011
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.4th ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2009
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.3rd ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2006
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.2nd ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2003
- IDF Diabetes Atlas.1st ed. International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium2000
- Impact of gestational diabetes mellitus and high maternal weight on the development of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease: a population-level analysis.Diabet Med J Br Diabet Assoc. 2015; 32: 164-173https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12635
- The IDF Diabetes Atlas methodology for estimating global prevalence of hyperglycaemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 103: 186-196https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.11.004
- HbA1c and all-cause mortality risk among patients with type 2 diabetes.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 202: 490-496https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.09.070
- Which biochemical assay is best for measuring diabetes prevalence?.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 582-583https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(15)00203-X
- Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants.Lancet Lond Engl. 2016; 387: 1513-1530https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00618-8
- Global estimates for undiagnosed diabetes for the 2015 IDF diabetes Atlas: a revision of the methodology.American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions (Poster), New Orleans, USA2016
- Regional differences in diabetes prevalence by age and urban/rural setting (poster).Diabetes. 2015; 64: A382-A466https://doi.org/10.2337/db15-1472-1800
Ogurtsova K, Guariguata L, Whiting D, Unwin N, Weil C, da Rocha Fernandes J. et al. 2015. Sensitivity analysis of the global diabetes prevalence estimate in the IDF Diabetes Atlas (Poster). In: International diabetes epidemiology group. Vancouver.
- Incorporating uncertainty measurement in the International Diabetes Federation Diabetes Atlas methodology for estimating global and national prevalence of diabetes in adults (Poster).Arch Public Health. 2015; 73https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-3258-73-S1-P31
- Population-level prediction of type 2 diabetes from claims data and analysis of risk factors.Big Data. 2015; 3: 277-287https://doi.org/10.1089/big.2015.0020
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2012
- The influence of socioeconomic status on future risk for developing Type 2 diabetes in the Canadian population between 2011 and 2022: differential associations by sex.Int J Equity Health. 2015; 14: 101https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-015-0245-0
- Mortality attributable to diabetes: estimates for the year 2010.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010; 87: 15-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2009.10.006
- The role of ethnicity in predicting diabetes risk at the population level.Ethn Health. 2012; 17: 419-437https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.2012.654765
- Decision making with the analytic hierarchy process.Int J Serv Sci. 2008; 1: 83-97
- Societal correlates of diabetes prevalence: an analysis across 94 countries.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 96: 76-83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.11.014
- Opportunistic risk screening for type 2 diabetes: exploring of application of diabetes risk assessment tool in community pharmacy in Australia and Thailand.Value Health Reg Issues. 2016; 9: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vhri.2015.03.022
- World population prospects: the 2015 revision.World Population Prospects, New York, USA2015
- World urbanization prospects: The 2014 revision.United Nations Population Division, New York, USA2014
- Association of systolic and diastolic blood pressure and all cause mortality in people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: retrospective cohort study.BMJ. 2012; 345: e5567
- Depression and risk of mortality in people with diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e57058https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057058
- Comparative prognostic performance of definitions of prediabetes: a prospective cohort analysis of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30321-7
- Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1047-1053
World Bank Group. World bank country and lending groups. Data Help Desk; 2015.
World Health Organization. Global report on diabetes. Geneva, Switzerland; 2016.
- World Health Statistics 2016: monitoring health for the sustainable development goals.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2016
World Health Organization. Health in 2015, from MDGs, millennium development goals to SDGs, sustainable development goals; 2015.
- Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2014: attaining the nine global noncommunicable diseases targets; a shared responsibility.World Health Organization, Geneva2014