- •Elevated ferritin was associated with increased type 2 diabetes risk in Chinese.
- •Adjustment for ALT had the strongest impact on the ferritin-diabetes association.
- •There is a significant interaction between hs-CRP and ferritin on diabetes risk.
- •The ferritin-diabetes association was significant among those with HbA1c ≥ 6.5%.
- •The ferritin-diabetes association was not significant in those with HbA1c < 6.5%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Free radicals and diabetes.Free Radic Biol Med. 1988; 5: 113-124
- Insulin sensitivity and liver fat: role of iron load.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: E958-E961
- Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia in patients with thalassemia major treated by hypertransfusion.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 809-814
- Potential role of increased iron stores in diabetes.Am J Med Sci. 2003; 325: 332-339
- Identification of a common variant in the TFR2 gene implicated in the physiological regulation of serum iron levels.Hum Mol Genet. 2011; 20: 1232-1240
- A genome-wide association analysis of serum iron concentrations.Blood. 2010; 115: 94-96
- A genome-wide meta-analysis identifies 22 loci associated with eight hematological parameters in the HaemGen consortium.Nat Genet. 2009; 41: 1182-1190
- Association of TMPRSS6 polymorphisms with ferritin, hemoglobin, and type 2 diabetes risk in a Chinese Han population.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 626-632
- Relationship of body iron stores to levels of serum ferritin, serum iron, unsaturated iron binding capacity and transferrin saturation in patients with iron storage disease.Acta Haematol. 2002; 107: 145-149
- Relation between iron stores and non-insulin dependent diabetes in men: case-control study.BMJ. 1998; 317: 727
- Body iron stores in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in apparently healthy women.JAMA. 2004; 291: 711-717
- Ferritin and transferrin are both predictive of the onset of hyperglycemia in men and women over 3 years: the data from an epidemiological study on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome (DESIR) study.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2090-2094
- Elevated serum ferritin levels predict new-onset type 2 diabetes: results from the EPIC-Norfolk prospective study.Diabetologia. 2007; 50: 949-956
- Biomarkers of body iron stores and risk of developing type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2009; 11: 472-479
- Thirty-one novel biomarkers as predictors for clinically incident diabetes.PLoS ONE. 2010; 5: e10100
- Body iron stores and risk of type 2 diabetes: results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Potsdam study.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 2613-2621
- Elevated serum ferritin level is associated with the incident type 2 diabetes in healthy Korean men: a 4 year longitudinal study.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e75250
- Association of multiple biomarkers of iron metabolism and type 2 diabetes: the EPIC-InterAct study.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 572-581
- Elevated plasma ferritin is associated with increased incidence of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 1459-1465
Akter S, Nanri A, Kuwahara K, et al. Circulating ferritin concentrations and risk of type 2 diabetes in Japanese individuals. J Diabetes Investig; 2017 Jan 6 [Epub ahead of print]. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12617.
- A prospective study of plasma ferritin level and incident diabetes: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 165: 1047-1054
- FGF-21/FGF-21 receptor interaction and activation is determined by betaKlotho.J Cell Physiol. 2008; 215: 1-7
- Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation in Asians and Pacific Islanders.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 722-726
- Hemochromatosis and iron-overload screening in a racially diverse population.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1769-1778
- Singapore Chinese Health Study: development, validation, and calibration of the quantitative food frequency questionnaire.Nutr Cancer. 2001; 39: 187-195
- Coffee, tea, and incident type 2 diabetes: the Singapore Chinese Health Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 979-985
- Use of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus: abbreviated report of a WHO consultation.World Health Organization, Geneva2011
- Practice guideline development task force of the College of American Pathologists. Hereditary hemochromatosis.Clin Chim Acta. 1996; 245: 139-200
- Soluble transferrin receptors and ferritin in Type 2 diabetic patients.Diabet Med. 2005; 22: 97-101
- Serum ferritin levels predict incident non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in healthy Korean men.Metabolism. 2012; 61: 1182-1188
- Relationship of serum ferritin concentrations with metabolic cardiovascular risk factors in men without evidence for coronary artery disease.Atherosclerosis. 1997; 128: 235-240
- Iron stores and cardiovascular disease risk factors in women of reproductive age in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 1256-1260
- Iron metabolism is prospectively associated with insulin resistance and glucose intolerance over a 7-year follow-up period: the CODAM study.Acta Diabetol. 2015; 52: 337-348
Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004;363:157–63.
- Insulin resistance, iron, and the liver.Lancet. 2000; 355: 2181-2182
- Insulin induces transcription of target genes through the hypoxia-inducible factor HIF-1alpha/ARNT.EMBO J. 1998; 17: 5085-5094
- Inflammatory markers and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 166-175
- Insulin is a prominent modulator of the cytokine-stimulated expression of acute-phase plasma protein genes.Mol Cell Biol. 1992; 12: 1789-1797
- Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and the inflammation markers C-reactive protein and ferritin.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006; 60: 802-809
- Serum ferritin is associated with visceral fat area and subcutaneous fat area.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2486-2491
- Increased hepatic iron concentration in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis is associated with increased fibrosis.Gastroenterology. 1998; 114: 311-318
- Effects of alcohol consumption on indices of iron stores and of iron stores on alcohol intake markers.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001; 25: 1037-1045
- The relationship between obesity and hypoferraemia in adults: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 150-161