- •System barriers hamper application of guidelines to practice internationally.
- •Deficits are evident in care and education for type 1 diabetes in China.
- •Regional differences between Beijing and Shantou are evident.
- •Diabetes-related complications are associated with absenteeism from work and school.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
World Health Organization. Changing mindsets: strategy for health policy and systems research. World Health Organization; 2012. p. 2,6. Accessed via http://www.who.int/alliance-hpsr/alliancehpsr_changingmindsets_strategyhpsr.pdf [May 2011].
- Diabetes prevalence and therapeutic target achievement in the United States, 1999 to 2006.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 443-453
Scottish Diabetes Survey Monitoring Group. Scottish Diabetes Survey 2010. NHS Scotland 2011: 4. Accessed via http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/SDS%202010.pdf, May 2011.
Webster G, Sullivan-Taylor P, Walker V, Palmer B. Diabetes Care Gaps and Disparities in Canada. Canadian Institute for Health Information, 2009. Accessed via http://www.cihi.ca/CIHI-ext-portal/pdf/internet/PHC_DIABETES_CANADA10_EN, June 2011.
- Treatment gaps in the management of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes in Canada.Can J Cardiol. 2010; 26: 297-302
- A diabetes report card for the United States: quality of care in the 1990s.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 565-574
- Control of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with diabetes and hypertension at urban academic medical centres.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 718-723
- Diabetes translation research: where are we and where do we want to be?.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 958-963
- Diabetes services in the UK: fourth national survey; are we meeting NSF standards and NICE guidelines?.Arch Dis Child. 2005; 90: 1005-1009
Non Communicable Diseases and Health, World Health Organization. Innovative care for chronic conditions: building blocks for action. World Health Organization; 2002. Accessed via http://www.who.int/chp/knowledge/publications/icccglobalreport.pdf [May 2011].
- Improving the quality of health care for chronic conditions.Qual Saf Health Care. 2004; 13: 299-305
- The 3C study: coverage cost and care of Type 1 diabetes in China – study design and implementation.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: 307-310
- Clinical features at the onset of childhood Type 1 diabetes mellitus in Shenyang, China.J Paediatr Child Health. 2010; 46: 171-175
- Factors associated with the presence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of diabetes in children and young adults: a systematic review.BMJ. 2011; 343https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d409
International Diabetes Federation. Global IDF/ISPAD guideline for diabetes in childhood and adolescence. International Diabetes Federation; 2011. Accessed via http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/Diabetes-in-Childhood-and-Adolescence-Guidelines.pdf [June 2011].
- ADA standards of medical care in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: S11-S63
International Diabetes Federation. International standards of diabetes education, 3rd ed. International Diabetes Federation; 2009. Accessed via http://www.idf.org/files/docs/INTNL-STANDARDS-EN.pdf [May 2011].
- Demographic and clinical characteristics of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a multicentre registry study in Guangdong, China.J Diabetes. 2016; 8: 847-853
- Assessment of chronic illness care version 3.5.MacColl Institute for Healthcare Innovation, Group Health Cooperative, 2000
- Summary of diabetes self-care activities measure.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 943-950
- Care of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 186-212
- Trends in the prevalence of ketoacidosis at diabetes diagnosis. The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e938-e945
- Factors associated with the presence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of diabetes in children and young adults: a systematic review.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4092
- Pathways to reduce diabetic ketoacidosis with new onset type 1 diabetes: evidence from a regional pediatric diabetes center: Auckland, New Zealand, 2010 to 2014.Pediatr Diabetes. 2016; 11https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12456
- Clinical features at the onset of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus in Shenyang, China.J Paediatr Child Health. 2010; 46: 171-175https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1754.2009.01657.x
- Effectiveness of a prevention program for diabetic ketoacidosis in children. An 8-year study in schools and private practices.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 7-9
- Childhood diabetes in China. Enormous variation by place and ethnic group.Diabetes Care. 1998; 21: 525-529
- Predictors of acute complications in children with type 1 diabetes.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2511-2518
- Research group adverse events and their association with treatment regimens in the diabetes control and complications trial.Diabetes Care. 1995; 18: 1415-1427
- Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) design, implementation, and preliminary results of a long- term follow-up of the diabetes control and complications trial cohort.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 99-111
- Diabetes care, glycemic control, and complications in children with Type 1 diabetes from Asia and the Western Pacific Region.J Diabetes Complications. 2007; 21: 280-287
- Effectiveness of multiple daily injections or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for children with type 1 diabetes mellitus in clinical practice.Int J Endocrinol. 2014; (Epub 2014 Aug 14): 526591https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/526591
- A longitudinal assessment of lipids in youth with Type 1 diabetes.Pediatr Diabetes. 2011; 12: 365-371
- Lipid and lipoprotein profiles in youth with and without Type 1 diabetes: the SEARCH for diabetes in youth case-control study.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 416-420
- Behavioural analysis of Chinese adult patients with type 1 diabetes on self-monitoring of blood glucose.Chin Med J. 2017; 130: 39-44https://doi.org/10.4103/0366-6999.196574
- Understanding self-monitoring of blood glucose among individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: an information-motivation-behavioural skills analysis.Diabetes Educ. 2011; 37: 85-94https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721710391479
- Diabetes self-management, depressive symptoms, metabolic control and satisfaction with quality of life over time in Chinese youth with type 1 diabetes.J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24: 1258-1268
- Structured Type 1 diabetes education delivered within routine care: impact on glycaemic control and diabetes-specific quality of life.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 270-272
- Effectiveness of dose adjustment for normal eating (DAFNE).Br J Nurs. 2012; 21 (p. 224, 226–228, 230–232)
- Impact of disease management programs on metabolic control in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a cohort study in Shantou, China.Medicine. 2016; 95 (e5681): 52