- •Severe obesity in adolescents has become an important global public health issue.
- •The prevalence of severe and extreme severe obesity in Korean adolescents was 5.9% and 0.9%.
- •Adolescents with severe obesity have more metabolic risk factors compared to adolescents with less severe degree of obesity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Severe obesity in children and adolescents: identification, associated health risks, and treatment approaches: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1689-1712
- Prevalence and trends in obesity and severe obesity among children in the United States, 1999–2012.JAMA Pediatr. 2014; 168: 561-566
- Obesity and severe obesity forecasts through 2030.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 563-570
- Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1097-1105
- Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 869-873
- Metabolic syndrome in childhood predicts adult cardiovascular disease 25 years later: the Princeton Lipid Research Clinics Follow-up Study.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 340-345
- Persistence of juvenile-onset obesity over eight years: the Bogalusa Heart Study.Am J Public Health. 1987; 77: 588-592
- Circulating oxidized LDL and inflammation in extreme pediatric obesity.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011; 19: 1415-1419
- Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study.J Pediatr. 2007; 150: e2
- Adolescent overweight is associated with adult overweight and related multiple cardiovascular risk factors: the Bogalusa Heart Study.Metabolism. 1996; 45: 235-240
- Long-term morbidity and mortality of overweight adolescents. A follow-up of the Harvard Growth Study of 1922–1935.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1350-1355
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2362-2374
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Korean national health and nutrition examination survey [cited 2013 July 1]. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/.
- 2007 Korean National Growth Charts: review of developmental process and an outlook.Korean J Pediatr. 2008; 51: 1-25
- Cardiometabolic risks and severity of obesity in children and young adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1307-1317
- Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 821-827
- The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents - an IDF consensus report.Pediatr Diabetes. 2007; 8: 299-306
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and obesity in adolescents aged 12–19 years: comparison between the United States and Korea.J Korean Med Sci. 2010; 25: 75-82
- Serum ferritin level is higher in male adolescents with obesity: results from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2010.Ann Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 18: 141-147
- Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S164-S192
- Severe obesity associated with cardiovascular deconditioning, high prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors, diabetes mellitus/hyperinsulinemia, and respiratory compromise.J Pediatr. 2004; 144: 766-769
- Presence of increased stiffness of the common carotid artery and endothelial dysfunction in severely obese children: a prospective study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1400-1404
- Body fat distribution and insulin resistance.Nutrients. 2013; 5: 2019-2027
- Normal-weight obese syndrome: early inflammation?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 40-45
- Childhood weight and metabolic syndrome in adults.Ann Med. 1999; 31: 236-239
- Gluteofemoral body fat as a determinant of metabolic health.Int J Obes (Lond). 2010; 34: 949-959
- Insulin resistance of normal weight central obese adolescents in Korea stratified by waist to height ratio: results from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 2008–2010.Int J Endocrinol. 2015; 2015: 158758
- Response of severely obese children and adolescents to behavioral treatment.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012; 166: 1103-1108
- Long-term results of an obesity program in an ethnically diverse pediatric population.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 402-410
- Drug treatment of obesity.Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2001; 2: 403-418
- Pediatric obesity-assessment, treatment, and prevention: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 102: 709-757
- Complications of bariatric surgery: implications for the covering physician.Am Surg. 2009; 75: 103-112