- •Social determinants of health (SDH) may impact diabetes trial outcomes.
- •Effective study design can mitigate the impact of SDH in clinical research.
- •Clinical research trials should be designed to account for relevant SDH.
Social determinants of health (SDH) impact clinical outcomes and are often poorly described in research trials. Using a validated tool, SDH dimensions were compared between adolescents enrolled and not enrolled into a large diabetes study. We observed that our study cohort reflected a SDH profile mirroring the eligible population.
Abbreviations:SDH (social determinants of health), AdDIT (Adolescent Type 1 Diabetes cardio-renal Intervention Trial)), ON-Marg (Ontario Marginalization Index), HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c), MD (material deprivation), EC (ethnic concentration), D (dependency), RI (residential instability)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- External validity of randomised controlled trials: “to whom do the results of this trial apply?".Lancet. 2005; 365: 82-93
- Adolescent type 1 diabetes cardio-renal intervention trial (AdDIT).BMC Pediatr. 2009; 9 (2431-9-79): 79
- Ontario marginalization index.2015 (Available from: 〈http://www.crunch.mcmaster.ca/ontario-marginalization-index〉 [Internet])
- Social determinants of health on glycemic control in pediatric type 1 diabetes.J Pediatr. 2013; 162: 730-735
- Health disparities in endocrine disorders: biological, clinical, and nonclinical factors—an endocrine society scientific statement.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: E1579-E1639
- Participation in pediatric epidemiologic research: the SEARCH for diabetes in youth study experience.Contemp Clin Trials. 2008; 29: 829-836
- Differences in recruitment and early retention among ethnic minority participants in a large pediatric cohort: the TEDDY study.Contemp Clin Trials. 2012; 33: 633-640
- Neighborhood deprivation and cardiovascular disease risk factors: protective and harmful effects.Scand J Public Health. 2006; 34: 228-237
- Higher mortality in areas of lower socioeconomic position measured by a single index of deprivation in Japan.Public Health. 2007; 121: 163-173
- A socioeconomic deprivation index for small areas in Denmark.Scand J Public Health. 2013; 41: 560-569
- The effect of socioeconomic deprivation on efficacy of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion: a retrospective paediatric case-controlled survey.Eur J Pediatr. 2012; 171: 59-65
Published online: February 03, 2016
Accepted: January 26, 2016
Received in revised form: January 22, 2016
Received: November 30, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.