- •Among diabetic medications naïve subjects, the prevalence of diabetes was about 2.5% using the FPG criteria, 3.3% using the HbA1c criteria and only 1.6% met both criteria.
- •The subjects with diabetes by the HbA1c criteria were older than the subjects with diabetes by the FPG criteria and the prevalence of diabetes by the HbA1c criteria only was three times more higher than that of daibetes by FPG only in the subjects older than 50 years old.
- •HbA1c testing might be additional screening or diagnostic tool for older diabetic patients.
We compared the characteristics of a Korean adult population diagnosed with diabetes using only a fasting plasma glucose criterion or an HbA1c criterion. The single difference between these two groups was age. Further studies should be undertaken to clarify whether age-specific diagnostic criteria would be appropriate in Korean populations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A1c and diabetes diagnosis: the Rancho Bernardo study.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 101-103
- Impact of A1c screening criterion on the diagnosis of pre-diabetes among U.S. adults.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2190-2195
- Prevalence of diabetes in Asian Indians based on glycated hemoglobin and fasting and 2-H post-load (75-g) plasma glucose (CURES-120).Diabetes Technol Ther. 2012; 14 ([Epub 2012 Jul 23]): 665-668https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2012.0059
- Discordance between fasting glucose-based and hemoglobin A1c-based diagnosis of diabetes mellitus in Koreans.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 91 ([Jan]): e8-e10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2010.09.025
- Taskforce team of diabetes fact sheet of the Korean diabetes association prevalence of diabetes prediabetes according to fasting plasma glucose HbA1c.Diabetes Metab J. 2013; 37 ([Epub 2013 Oct 17]): 349-357https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2013.37.5.349
- Optimal hemoglobin A1c cutoff value for diagnosing type 2 diabetes mellitus in Korean adults.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 99 ([Epub 2013 Feb 8]): 231-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2012.09.030
- Impact of HbA1c criterion on the detection of subjects with increased risk for diabetes among health check-up recipients in Korea.Diabetes Metab J. 2012; 36 ([Epub 2012 Apr 17]): 151-156https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2012.36.2.151
- Data resource profile: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES).Int J Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 69-77https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt228
World Health Organization. Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycemia: Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation, 〈https://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/WHO_IDF_definition_diagnosis_of_diabetes.pdf〉.
- Consultation: use of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 93: 299-309https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres 03 2011.012
- Identifying dysglycemic states in older adults: implications of the emerging use of hemoglobin A1c.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 5289-5295 six authors should be given followed by ‘et al.’ Please provide the names of the first six authors in the Refs [11,12] if applicable.</query>
- Prevalence of diabetes and high risk for diabetes using A1c criteria in the US population in 1988–2006.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 562-568
- Diabetes Metab J. 2014; 38 ([Epub 2014 Dec 15]): 480-483https://doi.org/10.4093/dmj.2014.38.6.480
Published online: January 30, 2016
Accepted: January 22, 2016
Received in revised form: January 18, 2016
Received: July 1, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.