- •Endothelin-1 may predict impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes in women.
- •Endothelin-1 and impaired glucose metabolism (IGM) was not associated in men.
- •Endothelin-1 exhibits apparent sex differences as a predictor of IGM.
We addressed whether endothelin-1, a marker of endothelial dysfunction, predicts impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in a population study in south-western Sweden. Follow-up after 9.7 years showed an association between circulating endothelin-1 levels at baseline and development of IGT/T2DM in women but not in men.
Abbreviations:T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus), IGT (impaired glucose tolerance)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Microvascular and macrovascular reactivity is reduced in subjects at risk for type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 1999; 48: 1856-1862
- Endothelin-1 reduces glucose uptake in human skeletal muscle in vivo and in vitro.Diabetes. 2011; 60: 2061-2067
- Circulating endothelin-1 levels in obese patients with the metabolic syndrome.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 1997; 105: 38-40
- Circulating endothelin-1 levels increase during euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp in lean NIDDM men.Diabetes Care. 1995; 18: 226-233
- Elevated plasma endothelin in patients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetologia. 1990; 33: 306-310
- Clusters of AMI risk factors and their association with left ventricular hypertrophy: a population-based study within the Skaraborg Project, Sweden.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 5416-5421
- Insulin resistance predicts early cardiovascular morbidity in men without diabetes mellitus, with effect modification by physical activity.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2014; 22
- Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications, Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation.Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 539-553
- Biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Am Med Assoc. 2004; 291: 1978-1986
- Influence of sex hormones on plasma endothelin levels.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 429-432
Published online: January 30, 2016
Accepted: January 22, 2016
Received in revised form: January 19, 2016
Received: November 3, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.