- •We found that by increasing the circulating levels of Klotho there is a decrease in blood glucose.
- •The effect is mediated by increased insulin secretion.
- •There is no change in the insulin sensitivity.
- •Klotho may have a hormonal effect on beta cells.
The metabolic effects of antiaging Klotho were previously investigated in vivo by genetic manipulation. We have here studied the metabolic effect of physiologic levels of circulating full length Klotho in db/db mice.
Increasing the full-length human Klotho levels has a positive effect on blood glucose through increasing insulin secretion.
Abbreviations:D (diabetic mice with no treatment), D+K (diabetic mice that received klotho), C (control mice with no treatment), KL (klotho)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Identification of the human klotho gene and its two transcripts encoding membrane and secreted klotho protein.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998; 242: 626-630
- Suppression of aging in mice by the hormone Klotho.Science. 2005; 309: 1829-1833
- New insights into the FGF23-Klotho axis.Semin Nephrol. 2014; 34: 586-597
- The role of Klotho in energy metabolism.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2012; 8: 579-587
- Mutation of the mouse klotho gene leads to a syndrome resembling ageing.Nature. 1997; 390: 45-51
- Dietary and genetic evidence for enhancing glucose metabolism and reducing obesity by inhibiting klotho functions.FASEB J. 2011; 25: 2031-2039
- Decreased insulin production and increased insulin sensitivity in the klotho mutant mouse: a novel animal model for human aging.Metabolism. 2000; 49: 1118-1123
- Vivo pancreatic beta cell-specific expression of anti-aging gene klotho: a novel approach for preserving beta cells in type II diabetes.Diabetes. 2014;
- Mechanism of plasmid delivery by hydrodynamic tail vein injection I. Hepatocyte uptake of various molecules.J Gene Med. 2006; 8: 852-873
- MCP-1 contributes to macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, insulin resistance, and hepatic steatosis in obesity.J Clin Invest. 2006; 116: 1494-1505
Published online: January 14, 2016
Accepted: January 5, 2016
Received in revised form: November 11, 2015
Received: September 30, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.