- •Expression of c-Abl in podocytes is up-regulated in the condition of high glucose.
- •c-Abl contributes to high glucose-induced apoptosis of podocytes.
- •Pro-apoptosis factor p53 is involved in c-Abl signaling in the process of podocytes apoptosis.
To investigate the role of the non-receptor tyrosine kinase c-Abl in high glucose-induced podocyte injury and its possible signal transduction pathway.
Sixteen C57BL/6 mice were randomly assigned to a group with diabetes and a normal control group. Subsequently, differentiated mouse podocytes were exposed to high-glucose conditions, and podocyte apoptosis was then assessed by flow cytometry and Hoechst 33258 staining. Western blot and immunofluorescence assay were used to measure c-Abl expression. Co-immunoprecipitation assay was used and c-Abl siRNA was applied to evaluate the interaction between c-Abl and p53.
High glucose promotes podocyte apoptosis. The c-Abl expression in podocytes was increased after exposure to high glucose, stimulating the p53 signaling pathway. Conversely, treatment with c-Abl siRNA restored high glucose-promoted podocyte apoptosis and resulted in the reduction of p53 expression.
c-Abl contributes to high glucose-induced podocyte apoptosis via p53 signaling pathway.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The podocyte's response to injury: role in proteinuria and glomerulosclerosis.Kidney Int. 2006; 69: 2131-2147
- Cellular response to injury in membranous nephropathy.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 1195-1204
- Proteinuria: an enzymatic disease of the podocyte.Kidney Int. 2009; 77: 571-580
- Redox signaling via lipid raft clustering in homocysteine-induced injury of podocytes.Biochim Biophys Acta—Mol Cell Res. 2010; 1803: 482-491
- Role of angiotensin II in the development of nephropathy and podocytopathy of diabetes.Curr Diabetes Rev. 2011; 7: 3-7
- From the periphery of the glomerular capillary wall toward the center of disease: podocyte injury comes of age in diabetic nephropathy.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 1626-1634
- ABL tyrosine kinases: evolution of function, regulation, and specificity.Sci Signal. 2010; 3: re6https://doi.org/10.1126/scisignal.3139re6
- Imatinib mesilate-induced phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signalling and improved survival in insulin-producing cells: role of Src homology 2-containing inositol 5′-phosphatase interaction with c-Abl.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 1327-1338
- Regulation of neuronal cell death by c-Abl-Hippo/MST2 signaling pathway.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e36562
- The tyrosine kinase c-Abl promotes proliferation and is expressed in atypical teratoid and malignant rhabdoid tumors.Cancer. 2010; 116: 5075-5081
- Modelling c-Abl signalling in activated neutrophils: the anti-inflammatory effect of seliciclib.Biodiscovery. 2013; 7: 4
- c-Abl tyrosine kinase signaling: a new player in AD tau pathology.Curr Alzheimer Res. 2011; 8: 643-651
- Imatinib mesylate stimulates low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1-mediated ERK phosphorylation in insulin-producing cells.Clin Sci. 2015; 128: 17-28
- Role of c-Abl tyrosine kinase in smooth muscle cell migration.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014; 306: C753-C761
- The c-Abl inhibitor, Nilotinib, protects dopaminergic neurons in a preclinical animal model of Parkinson's disease.Sci Rep. 2014; 4: 4874
- Regulation of tissue- and stimulus-specific cell fate decisions by p53 in vivo.J Pathol. 2011; 223: 127-136
- Vesicular stomatitis virus infection triggers apoptosis associated with decreased (Np63α and increased Bax levels in the immortalized HaCaT keratinocyte cell line.Biomed Phamacother. 2007; 61: 254-260
- The apoptosis regulators p53, bax and PUMA: relationship and impact on outcome in early stage (FIGO I-II) ovarian carcinoma after post-surgical taxane-based treatment.Oncol Rep. 2012; 27: 741-747
- High glucose promotes nascent nephron apoptosis via NF-KB and p53 pathways.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011; 300: F147-F156
- Another fork in the road-life or death decisions by the tumour suppressor p53.Eur Mol Biol Org. 2013; 14: 414-421
- Transforming growth factor-β-induced cross talk between p53 and a MicroRNA in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 3151-3162
- c-Abl mediates angiotensin II-induced apoptosis in podocytes.J Mol Histol. 2013; 44: 597-608
- Chronic inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 with a sitagliptin analog preserves pancreatic β-cell mass and function in a rodent model of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 2006; 55: 1695-1704
- Irisin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis and increases glycogen synthesis via PI3K/Akt pathway in type 2 diabetic mice and hepatocytes.Clin Sci. 2015; 129: 839-850
- Multiple low-dose radiation prevents type 2 diabetes-induced renal damage through attenuation of dyslipidemia and insulin resistance and subsequent renal inflammation and oxidative stress.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e92574
- Role of Abl and Src family kinases in actin-cytoskeletal rearrangements induced by the Helicobacter pylori CagA protein.Eur J Cell Biol. 2011; 90: 880-890
- Abl tyrosine kinase phosphorylates nonmuscle myosin light chain kinase to regulate endothelial barrier function.Mol Biol Cell. 2010; 21: 4042-4056
- PDGF upregulates Mcl-1 through activation of β-catenin and HIF-1α-dependent signaling in human prostate cancer cells.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e30764
- c-Abl is involved in high glucose-induced apoptosis in embryonic E12.5 cortical neural progenitor cells from the mouse brain.J Neurochem. 2008; 106: 1720-1730
- c-Abl tyrosine kinase mediates neurotoxic prion peptide-induced neuronal apoptosis via regulating mitochondrial homeostasis.Mol Neurobiol. 2014; 49: 1102-1116
- A novel antitumor piperazine alkyl compound causes apoptosis by inducing RhoB expression via ROS-mediated c-Abl/p38 MAPK signaling.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013; 72: 1315-1324
- A positive role for c-Abl in Atm and Atr activation in DNA damage response.Cell Death Differ. 2010; 18: 5-15
- Abl interconnects oncogenic Met and p53 core pathways in cancer cells.Cell Death Differ. 2011; 18: 1608-1616
- Diabetic nephropathy: lessons from the mouse.Ochsner J. 2013; 13: 140-146
- The receptor of advanced glycation end products plays a central role in advanced oxidation protein products-induced podocyte apoptosis.Kidney Int. 2012; 82: 759-770
- Notch pathway is involved in high glucose-induced apoptosis in podocytes via Bcl-2 and p53 pathways.J Cell Biochem. 2013; 114: 1029-1038
- Survival of pancreatic beta cells is partly controlled by a TCF7L2-p53-p53INP1-dependent pathway.Hum Mol Genet. 2012; 21: 196-207
- The apoptosis regulators p53, bax and PUMA: Relationship and impact on outcome in early stage (FIGO I-II) ovarian carcinoma after post-surgical taxane-based treatment.Oncol Rep. 2012; 27: 741-747
- Mutant p53: one name, many proteins.Genes Dev. 2012; 26: 1268-1286
- Aldosterone induces apoptosis in rat podocytes: role of PI3-K/Akt and p38MAPK signaling pathways.Nephron Exp Nephrol. 2009; 113: e26-e34
- IQGAP1 mediates angiotensin II-induced apoptosis of podocytes via the ERK1/2 MAPK signaling pathway.Am J Nephrol. 2013; 38: 430-444
Published online: January 13, 2016
Accepted: December 26, 2015
Received in revised form: November 5, 2015
Received: August 17, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.