- •Increased circulating vaspin levels were associated with CAD prevalence in T2DM patients.
- •The vaspin level was a determining factor for CAD with type 2 diabetes.
- •Vaspin is positively correlated with high BMI and T2DM.
Adipokines contribute to the atherosclerotic process, connecting obesity and diabetes to cardiovascular disease. Vaspin is a recently discovered adipokine, so data about the relationship of vaspin to coronary artery disease in type-2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is limited. The current study was designed to evaluate the association of vaspin with the presence of coronary artery disease in T2DM.
We enrolled 228 patients with T2DM, with or without CAD, between March 2010 and July 2011, and 120 healthy control participants. Serum vaspin, homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) and other cardiovascular risk factors were assayed.
Vaspin levels were significantly increased in patients with T2DM compared to healthy individuals, and were further increased in patients with both T2DM and CAD compared to those with T2DM but without CAD. Moreover, vaspin correlated positively with body mass index, fasting plasma glucose, insulin and HOMA-IR in all patients with T2DM (P < 0.05). Furthermore, in multivariate logistic regression analysis, vaspin level was associated with the presence of CAD in patients with T2DM.
Vaspin correlates with CAD in T2DM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 94: 311-321
- The independent effect of type 2 diabetes mellitus on ischemic heart disease, stroke, and death: a population-based study of 13,000 men and women with 20 years of follow-up.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 1422-1426
- Adipokines: the missing link between insulin resistance and obesity.Diabetes Metab. 2008; 34: 2-11
- The link between abdominal obesity, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007; 17: 319-326
- Adipokines and insulin resistance.Mol Med. 2008; 14: 741-751
- Role of adipocytokines in predicting the development of diabetes and its late complications.Endocrine. 2009; 36: 397-403
- Adipokines and the cardiovascular system: mechanisms mediating health and disease.Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012; 90: 1029-1059
- Vascular effects of novel adipocytokines: focus on vascular contractility and inflammatory responses.Biol Pharm Bull. 2011; 34: 307-310
- Inflammation, a link between obesity and cardiovascular disease.Mediators Inflamm. 2010; 2010: 535918
- Visceral adipose tissue-derived serine protease inhibitor: a unique insulin-sensitizing adipocytokine in obesity.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005; 102: 10610-10615
- Serum vaspin level in relation to postprandial plasma glucose concentration in subjects with diabetes.Chin Med J (Engl). 2009; 122: 2530-2533
- Higher vaspin levels in subjects with obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 106: 88-94
- The investigation of serum vaspin level in atherosclerotic coronary artery disease.J Clin Med Res. 2012; 4: 110-113
- Plasma vaspin concentrations are elevated in metabolic syndrome in men and are correlated with coronary atherosclerosis in women.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011; 75: 628-635
- Serum levels of vaspin and visfatin in patients with coronary artery disease-Kozani study.Clin Chim Acta. 2011; 412: 48-52
- Vaspin serum concentrations in patients with carotid stenosis.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 204: 262-266
- Standards of medical care in diabetes—2010.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: S11-S61
- ACC/AHA 2005 Practice Guidelines for the management of patients with peripheral arterial disease (lower extremity, renal, mesenteric, and abdominal aortic): a collaborative report from the American Association for Vascular Surgery/Society for Vascular Surgery, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology, Society of Interventional Radiology, and the ACC/AHA Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease): endorsed by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; Society for Vascular Nursing; TransAtlantic Inter-Society Consensus; and Vascular Disease Foundation.Circulation. 2006; 113: e463-e654
- Adipokines in periaortic and epicardial adipose tissue: differential expression and relation to atherosclerosis.J Atheroscler Thromb. 2010; 17: 115-130
- Management and outcome of patients with established coronary artery disease: the Euro Heart Survey on coronary revascularization.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 1169-1179
- A more meaningful scoring system for determining the severity of coronary heart disease.Am J Cardiol. 1983; 51: 606
- Vaspin and visfatin/nampt are interesting interrelated adipokines playing a role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Metabolism. 2011; 60: 63-70
- Vaspin gene expression in human adipose tissue: association with obesity and type 2 diabetes.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006; 339: 430-436
- Visceral fat and insulin resistance--causative or correlative?.Br J Nutr. 2000; 83: S71-S77
- Subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue: their relation to the metabolic syndrome.Endocr Rev. 2000; 21: 697-738
- Role of serum vaspin in progression of type 2 diabetes: a 2-year cohort study.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e94763
- Serum levels of the adipokine vaspin in relation to metabolic and renal parameters.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 247-251
- Vaspin protects vascular endothelial cells against free fatty acid-induced apoptosis through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011; 413: 264-269
- Vaspin prevents TNF-alpha-induced intracellular adhesion molecule-1 via inhibiting reactive oxygen species-dependent NF-kappaB and PKCtheta activation in cultured rat vascular smooth muscle cells.Pharmacol Res. 2011; 64: 493-500
- Vaspin serum concentration in patients with type 2 diabetes and carotid plaque.J Int Med Res. 2012; 40: 1670-1676
- The natural history of type 2 diabetes: practical points to consider in developing prevention and treatment strategies.Clin Diabetes. 2000; 18: 80-84
- Weight-dependent differential contribution of insulin secretion and clearance to hyperinsulinemia of obesity.Regul Pept. 2009; 152: 1-7
- Disturbances of basal and postprandial insulin secretion and clearance in obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Horm Metab Res. 2012; 44: 60-69
Published online: January 28, 2016
Accepted: December 26, 2015
Received in revised form: December 7, 2015
Received: July 20, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.