- •Statin use has been associated with increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes (T2DM), and with impaired glycemic control in T2DM patients.
- •The association between statin use and glycemic control in type 1 diabetes (T1DM) is unknown.
- •In the present study of patients with T1DM, use of statins is independently associated with impaired glycemic control.
- •These results are the first in patients with T1DM, and may indicate a need to revisit dose of insulin when starting statin treatment.
Abbreviations:T1DM (type 1 diabetes), LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction), ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Risk of incident diabetes among patients treated with statins: population based study.BMJ. 2013; 346: f2610https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f2610
- Statins and the risk of new-onset diabetes: a review of recent evidence.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2011; 22: 460-466https://doi.org/10.1097/MOL.0b013e32834b4994
- Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials.Lancet. 2010; 375: 735-742https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61965-6
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2003; 361: 2005-2016
- Risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose compared with moderate-dose statin therapy: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2556-2564https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.860
- Increased risk of diabetes with statin treatment is associated with impaired insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion: a 6 year follow-up study of the METSIM cohort.Diabetologia. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-015-3528-5
- Effects of statins on the adipocyte maturation and expression of glucose transporter 4 (SLC2A4): implications in glycaemic control.Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 1881-1892https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-006-0269-5
- Effect of atorvastatin on endothelial function and inflammation in long-duration type 1 diabetic patients without coronary heart disease and arterial hypertension.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2008; 10: 719-725https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2007.00798.x
- Prevalence of systolic and diastolic dysfunction in patients with type 1 diabetes without known heart disease: the Thousand & 1 Study.Diabetologia. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-014-3164-5
- Global longitudinal strain is not impaired in type 1 diabetes patients without albuminuria: The Thousand & 1 Study.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmg.2014.12.020
- Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology.J Am Soc Echocardiogr Off Publ Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005; 18: 1440-1463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2005.10.005
- A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 461-470
- Statins and glycaemic control in individuals with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2014; 57: 2444-2452https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-014-3374-x
- Pravastatin reduces the risk for cardiovascular disease in Japanese hypercholesterolemic patients with impaired fasting glucose or diabetes: diabetes subanalysis of the Management of Elevated Cholesterol in the Primary Prevention Group of Adult Japanese (MEGA) Study.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 199: 455-462https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.05.027
- Predictors of new-onset diabetes in patients treated with atorvastatin: results from 3 large randomized clinical trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 1535-1545https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.10.047
- Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein.N Engl J Med Online. 2008; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0807646
- Association between 7 years of intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes and long-term mortality.JAMA. 2015; 313: 45-53https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.16107
- Smoking is associated with increased HbA1c values and microalbuminuria in patients with diabetes – data from the National Diabetes Register in Sweden.Diabetes Metab. 2004; 30: 261-268
- Influence of smoking on insulin requirement and metabolic status in diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 1980; 3: 41-43
- Kidney function and glomerulopathy over 8 years in young patients with Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria.Diabetologia. 2002; 45: 253-261https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-001-0744-y
- Predictors of glycaemic control in type 1 diabetic patients after participation in an intensified treatment and teaching programme.Diabet Med J Br Diabet Assoc. 1994; 11: 362-371
- Effect of statins on fasting plasma glucose in diabetic and nondiabetic patients.J Investig Med Off Publ Am Fed Clin Res. 2009; 57: 495-499https://doi.org/10.231/JIM.0b013e318197ec8b
- Cardiovascular benefits and diabetes risks of statin therapy in primary prevention: an analysis from the JUPITER trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 565-571https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61190-8
- Statins and risk of new-onset diabetes mellitus.Circulation. 2012; 126: e282-e284https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.122135