- •We studied betatrophin levels and their association with youth-onset T2DM individuals.
- •Betatrophin levels were significantly lower in T2DM-Y compared to NGT group.
- •Betatrophin is negatively correlated with insulin resistance and fasting glucose.
- •Betatrophin shows a positive correlation with the oral disposition index.
- •Betatrophin was associated with T2DM-Y but lost significance when adjusted for HOMAIR.
Background and Aims
Abbreviations:T2DM-Y (youth-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus), NGT (normal glucose tolerance), DIO (oral disposition index), GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylase), WHO (World Health Organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- The many faces of diabetes: a disease with increasing heterogeneity.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1084-1094
- Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 405-412
- Loss of insulin signaling in hepatocytes leads to severe insulin resistance and progressive hepatic dysfunction.Mol Cell. 2000; 6: 87-97
- Bulking up on beta cells.NEJM. 2013; 369: 777-779
- Betatrophin: a hormone that controls pancreatic β cell proliferation.Cell. 2013; 153: 747-758
- Human ß-cell proliferation and intracellular signaling: driving in the dark without a road map.Diabetes. 2012; 61: 2205-2213
- Liver-derived systemic factors drive β cell hyperplasia in insulin-resistant states.Cell Rep. 2013; 3: 401-410
- Betatrophin fuels beta cell proliferation: first step toward regenerative therapy?.Cell Metab. 2013; 18: 5-6
- Circulating betatrophin correlates with atherogenic lipid profiles but not with glucose and insulin levels in insulin-resistant individuals.Diabetologia. 2014; 57: 1204-1208
- Elevated circulating lipasin/betatrophin in human type 2 diabetes and obesity.Sci Rep. 2014; 4: 5013
- Lipasin, a novel nutritionally-regulated liver enriched factor that regulates serum triglyceride levels.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012; 424: 786-792
- Mice lacking ANGPTL8 (betatrophin) manifest disrupted triglyceride metabolism without impaired glucose homeostasis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 16109-16114
- Progressive beta cell failure in type 2 diabetes mellitus of youth.J Pediatr. 2004; 144: 656-659
- Complications in young adults with early-onset type 2 diabetes: losing the relative protection of youth.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 2999-3005
- Serum immunoreactive insulin responses to glucose load in Asian Indian and European type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetic patients and control subjects.Diabetologia. 1986; 29: 235-237
- Prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes (impaired fasting glucose and/or impaired glucose tolerance) in urban and rural India: phase I results of the Indian Council of Medical Research-INdia DIABetes (ICMR-INDIAB) study.Diabetologia. 2011; 54: 3022-3027
- Obesity Reduction and Awareness and Screening of Noncommunicable Diseases through Group Education in children and adolescents (ORANGE): methodology paper (ORANGE-1).J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2010; 4: 1256-1264
- Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, provisional report of a WHO consultation.Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 539-553
- Clinical profile and complications of childhood- and adolescent-onset type 2 diabetes seen at a diabetes center in South India.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2012; 14: 497-504
- The Asia Pacific perspective: Redefining obesity and its treatment.Regional Office for the Western Pacific of the World Health Organization. World Health Organization, International Association for the Study of Obesity and International Obesity Task Force. Health Communications Australia Pty Limited, Sydney2000: 17-21
- Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents.Bull World Health Organ. 2007; 85: 660-667
World Health Organization (WHO): available from http://www.who.int/growthref/growthref_who_bull/en/ [accessed 23.1.2015].
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Oral disposition index predicts the development of future diabetes above and beyond fasting and 2-h glucose levels.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 335-341
- Measures of beta cell function during the oral glucose tolerance test, liquid mixed-meal test, and hyperglycemic clamp test.J Pediatr. 2008; 152: 618-621
- A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inﬂation factors.Qual Quant. 2007; 41: 673-690
- Estimating causal effects from large data sets using propensity scores.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 127: 757-763
- Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 2265-2281
- β-cell function in type 2 diabetes.Metabolism. 2014; 63: 1217-1227
- Predictors of changes in glucose tolerance status in obese youth.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 902-909
- Associations of β-cell function and insulin resistance with youth-onset type 2 diabetes and prediabetes among Asian Indians.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2013; 15: 315-322
- Evidence of reduced β-cell function in Asian Indians with mild dysglycemia.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2772-2778
- Circulating betatrophin concentrations are decreased in human obesity and type 2 diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: E2004-E2009
- Betatrophin: the long awaited circulating factor from the liver promoting β-cell replication?.Islets. 2014; ([Epub ahead of print]): 6
- Betatrophin provides a new insight into diabetes treatment and lipid metabolism (review).Biomed Rep. 2014; 2: 447-451
- Increased circulating levels of betatrophin in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: 2718-2722
- Increased circulating betatrophin concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes.Int J Endocrinol. 2014; 2014: 323407
- Circulating betatrophin levels are increased in patients with type 2 diabetes and associated with insulin resistance.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: E96-E100
- An explanation for recent discrepancies in levels of human circulating betatrophin.Diabetologia. 2014; 57: 2232-2234
- Diabetes: betatrophin-inducing beta cell expansion to treat diabetes mellitus?.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013; 9: 379
- ANGPTL8/betatrophin does not control pancreatic beta cell expansion.Cell. 2014; 159: 691-696
- Insulin resistance alters islet morphology in nondiabetic humans.Diabetes. 2014; 63: 994-1007
- Growth factor control of pancreatic islet regeneration and function.Pediatr Diabetes. 2009; 10: 14-32
- Insulin augmentation of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion is impaired in insulin resistant humans.Diabetes. 2012; 61: 301-309