- •We survey physicians on reasons for not initiating dual therapy per AACE algorithm.
- •Four of five top reasons are related to physician beliefs about therapy.
- •One top reason is patient-related.
- •Relevance of each reason varies by physician specialty and patient age.
- National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States.United States Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta2011
- Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2012.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1033-1046
- Burden of hospitalizations primarily due to uncontrolled diabetes: implications of inadequate primary health care in the United States.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1281-1282
- The progressive cost of complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 1873-1880
- AACE comprehensive diabetes management algorithm 2013.Endocr Pract. 2013; 19: 327-336
- Assessment of AACE/ACE recommendations for initial dual antihyperglycemic therapy using the fixed-dose combination of sitagliptin and metformin versus metformin.Endocr Pract. 2013; 19: 751-757
- Underutilization of antihyperglycemic dual therapy in eligible, treatment-naïve patients with type 2 diabetes.American Diabetes Association's 72nd Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA2012
- How doctors choose medications to treat type 2 diabetes: a national survey of specialists and academic generalists.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1448-1453
- The role of patient, physician and systemic factors in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Fam Pract. 2002; 19: 344-349
- Clinical decisions regarding HbA1c results in primary care: a report from CaReNet and HPRN.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 13-16
- Diabetes in urban African-Americans. XV. Identification of barriers to provider adherence to management protocols.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1617-1620
- Reasons given by general practitioners for non-treatment decisions in younger and older patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus in the United Kingdom: a survey study.BMC Endocr Disord. 2011; 11: 17
- Clinical inertia.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 825-834
- Predictors and impact of intensification of antihyperglycemic therapy in type 2 diabetes: translating research into action for diabetes (TRIAD).Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 971-976
- Guidelines for improving the care of the older person with diabetes mellitus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: S265-S280
- Clinical predictors of disease progression and medication initiation in untreated patients with type 2 diabetes and A1C less than 7%.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 386-390
- Factors associated with initiation of antihyperglycaemic medication in UK patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.BMC Endocr Disord. 2012; 12: 1
- Time to treatment initiation with oral antihyperglycaemic therapy in US patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012; 14: 149-154
☆Presented at International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research Annual Meeting, 31 May–4 June 2014, Montreal, Canada, and International Diabetes Federation World Diabetes Congress, December 2–6, 2013, Melbourne, Australia.