- •Association of serum zonulin, a biomarker for gut barrier dysfunction, with T2DM was studied in a Chinese Han population.
- •Zonulin serum levels are significantly elevated in newly diagnosed Chinese T2DM patients.
- •Zonulin is correlated with insulin resistance, dyslipidemia and inflammation.
- •Zonulin levels are an independent predictor for T2DM in Chinese.
- Changes in gut microbiota control metabolic endotoxemia-induced inflammation in high-fat diet-induced obesity and diabetes in mice.Diabetes. 2008; 57: 1470-1481
- Changes in gut microbiota control inflammation in obese mice through a mechanism involving GLP-2-driven improvement of gut permeability.Gut. 2009; 58: 1091-1103
- Increased intestinal permeability in obese mice: new evidence in the pathogenesis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Am J Physiol – Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007; 292: G518-G525
- Involvement of gut microbiota in the development of low-grade inflammation and type 2 diabetes associated with obesity.Gut Microbes. 2012; 3: 279-288
- Increased intestinal permeability to oral chromium ((51) Cr)-EDTA in human Type 2 diabetes.Diabet Med: J Br Diabet Assoc. 2014; 31: 559-563
- Zonulin, regulation of tight junctions, and autoimmune diseases.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2012; 1258: 25-33
- Identification of human zonulin, a physiological modulator of tight junctions, as prehaptoglobin-2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 16799-16804
- Human zonulin, a potential modulator of intestinal tight junctions.J Cell Sci. 2000; 113: 4435-4440
- Permeability, zonulin production, and enteropathy in dermatitis herpetiformis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 3: 335-341
- Intestinal permeability and its regulation by zonulin: diagnostic and therapeutic implications.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10: 1096-1100
- Zonulin upregulation is associated with increased gut permeability in subjects with type 1 diabetes and their relatives.Diabetes. 2006; 55: 1443-1449
- Simultaneous HPLC determination with light-scattering detection of lactulose and mannitol in studies of intestinal permeability in pediatrics.Clin Chem. 1998; 44: 1685-1691
- Increased permeability of macroscopically normal small bowel in Crohn's disease.Dig Dis Sci. 1994; 39: 2170-2176
- Circulating zonulin, a marker of intestinal permeability, is increased in association with obesity-associated insulin resistance.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e37160
- Gut microbiota, microinflammation, metabolic profile, and zonulin concentration in obese and normal weight subjects.Int J Endocrinol. 2013; 2013: 674106
- Report of the Committee on the classification and diagnostic criteria of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2002; 55: 65-85
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 2402-2410
- Role of the intestinal tight junction modulator zonulin in the pathogenesis of type I diabetes in BB diabetic-prone rats.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 2916-2921
- A randomized, double-blind study of larazotide acetate to prevent the activation of celiac disease during gluten challenge.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 1554-1562
- Increased circulatory levels of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and zonulin signify novel biomarkers of proinflammation in patients with type 2 diabetes.Mol Cell Biochem. 2014; 388: 203-210
- MicroRNA-18a enhances the interleukin-6-mediated production of the acute-phase proteins fibrinogen and haptoglobin in human hepatocytes.J Biol Chem. 2011; 286: 40142-40150
- Insulin resistance and adiposity influence lipoprotein size and subclass concentrations. Results from the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study.Metabolism. 2005; 54: 264-270
- Gut microbiota controls adipose tissue expansion, gut barrier and glucose metabolism: novel insights into molecular targets and interventions using prebiotics.Benef Microbes. 2014; 5: 3-17
- Intestinal permeability is associated with visceral adiposity in healthy women.Obesity. 2011; 19: 2280-2282