To evaluate the predictive power of the 5-time point oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) for new-onset diabetes after kidney transplantation (NODAT).
We performed a retrospective study of 145 patients without diabetes who received kidney transplantations at our hospital. The 5-time point OGTT was performed before transplantation. The area under a receiver-operating characteristic curve (aROC) was used for evaluating the predictive power of 5-time point OGTT values.
Seventeen patients developed NODAT within 1 year after transplantation. All postload plasma glucose (PPG) levels were higher in patients who developed NODAT than in those who did not; fasting plasma glucose levels were not different. The aROC for the area under the glucose concentration-time curve was significantly greater than that for fasting plasma glucose. Univariate and multivariate analyses showed that each PPG level was an independent risk factor for NODAT. Furthermore, patients with normal glucose tolerance (NGT) or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) could be stratified with a 1-h plasma glucose (1h-PG) cut-off point of 8.4 mmol/L. The incidences of NODAT were 23.5%, 16.7%, 9.1%, and 0% for patients with IGT + 1h-PG ≥8.4 mmol/L,IGT + 1h-PG <8.4 mmol/L, NGT + 1h-PG ≥ 8.4 mmol/L, and NGT + 1h-PG < 8.4 mmol/L, respectively.
The area under the glucose concentration-time curve and each PPG concentration during the 5-time point OGTT are strong predictors of NODAT. A 1h-PG cut-off point of 8.4 mmol/L plus NGT/IGT can be used to identify patients at intermediate and high risk of developing NODAT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The impact of early-diagnosed new-onset post-transplantation diabetes mellitus on survival and major cardiac events.Kidney Int. 2006; 69: 588-595
- Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease after renal transplantation.Transplantation. 2001; 72: S5-S8
- Diabetes mellitus after kidney transplantation in the United States.Am J Transplant. 2003; 3: 178-185
- Patient survival after renal transplantation: IV Impact of post-transplant diabetes.Kidney Int. 2002; 62: 1440-1446
- Influence of diabetes mellitus on patient and graft survival in recipients of kidney transplantation.Clin Transplant. 2001; 15: 89-94
- Posttransplant Increase of Body Mass Index is Associated with New-Onset Diabetes Mellitus after Kidney Transplantation.Tohoku J Exp Med. 2013; 229: 227-232
- Body fat percentage as a marker of new-onset diabetes mellitus after kidney transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2013; 45: 1544-1547
- Impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glycaemia: the current status on definition and intervention.Diabet Med. 2002; 19: 708-723
- Predictors of progression from impaired glucose tolerance to NIDDM: an analysis of six prospective studies.Diabetes. 1997; 46: 701-710
- What is the best predictor of future type 2 diabetes?.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1544-1548
- Fasting versus postload plasma glucose concentration and the risk for future type 2 diabetes: results from the Botnia Study.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 281-286
- Relative utility of 1-h Oral Glucose Tolerance Test as a measure of abnormal glucose homeostasis.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 93: 268-275
- New-onset diabetes after transplantation in tacrolimus-treated, living kidney transplantation: long-term impact and utility of the pre-transplant OGTT.Int Urol Nephrol. 2010; 42: 935-945
- Incidence and risk factors of glucose metabolism disorders in kidney transplant recipients: role of systematic screening by oral glucose tolerance test.Transplantation. 2011; 91: 757-764
- The diabetes risk score: a practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes risk.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 725-731
- Predicting the development of diabetes in older adults: the derivation and validation of a prediction rule.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 404-408
- A risk score for predicting incident diabetes in the Thai population.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1872-1877
- Comparison of a clinical model, the oral glucose tolerance test, and fasting glucose for prediction of type 2 diabetes risk in Japanese Americans.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 758-763
- Identification of persons at high risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus: do we need the oral glucose tolerance test?.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 575-581
- Variables affecting weight gain in renal transplant recipients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2001; 38: 349-353
- Glucose intolerance after renal transplantation depends upon prednisolone dose and recipient age.Transplantation. 1997; 64: 979-983
- Tapering off prednisolone and cyclosporin the first year after renal transplantation: the effect on glucose tolerance.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2001; 16: 829-835
- New-onset diabetes mellitus in kidney transplant recipients discharged on steroid-free immunosuppression.Transplantation. 2011; 91: 334-341
- Incidence and cost of new onset diabetes mellitus among U.S. wait-listed and transplanted renal allograft recipients.Am J Transplant. 2003; 3: 590-598
- New onset diabetes mellitus in patients receiving calcineurin inhibitors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Transplant. 2004; 4: 583-595
- Tacrolimus versus ciclosporin as primary immunosuppression for kidney transplant recipients: meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomised trial data.BMJ. 2005; 331: 810
- Risk factors for development of new-onset diabetes mellitus after kidney transplantation.Transplantation. 2006; 82: 1673-1676
- Reduced exposure to calcineurin inhibitors in renal transplantation.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2562-2575
- Results of an international, randomized trial comparing glucose metabolism disorders and outcome with cyclosporine versus tacrolimus.Am J Transplant. 2007; 7: 1506-1514
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S5-S10
- Minimal contribution of fasting hyperglycemia to the incidence of type 2 diabetes in subjects with normal 2-h plasma glucose.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 557-561
Published online: January 27, 2014
Accepted: December 29, 2013
Received in revised form: July 10, 2013
Received: May 7, 2013
© 2014 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.