International Diabetes Federation, Diabetes Atlas, 3rd ed., 2006. Last accessed on 4 December 2008, http://www.eatlas.idf.org.
United Nations, Resolution Adopted by the General Assembly, 61/225, World Diabetes Day, 2006. Last accessed on 3 December 2008, http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/files/docs/U4D/UN_Resolution.pdf.
- Aetiology of type 2 diabetes: the road to consensus.Diabet. Voice. 2003; 48: 28-31
- International Diabetes Federation: a consensus on Type 2 diabetes prevention.Diabet. Med. 2007; 24: 451-463
- Association of young maternal age with adverse reproductive outcomes.N. Engl. J. Med. 1995; 332: 1113-1117
- Maternal age and prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 948
- Inflammation and activated innate immunity in the pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 813-823
R. Bonita, M. de Courten, T. Dwyer, K. Jamrozik, R. Winkelmann, Surveillance of risk factors for noncommunicable diseases: The WHO Stepwise Approach, Summary, Last accessed on 5 June 2009, http://www.afro.who.int/cdp/documents/steps_tools/summary_final.pdf.
- Body mass index, waist circumference and chronic disease risk factors in Australian adolescents.Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med. 2008; 162: 566-573
- Type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus: the thrifty phenotype hypothesis.Diabetologia. 1992; 35: 595-601
- Mechanisms by which poor early growth programs type-2 diabetes, obesity and the metabolic syndrome.Physiol. Behav. 2006; 88: 234-243
- Vitamin B12 and folate concentrations during pregnancy and insulin resistance in the offspring: the Pune Maternal Nutrition Study.Diabetologia. 2008; 51: 29-38
- Stress and metabolism.Metab. Syndr. Relat. Disord. 2005; 3: 8-13
- Corticotrophin-releasing hormone and fetal responses in human pregnancy.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1999; 897: 66-75
- Maternal stress, HPA activity, and fetal/infant outcome.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1997; 814: 266-275
World Health Organization, Promoting optimal fetal development, Report of a Technical Consultation, 2006. Last accessed 8 December 2008, Available at http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Making_Pregnancy_Safer_Optimalfetal_dev.pdf.
- Glucose tolerance of offspring of mother with gestational diabetes mellitus in a low-risk population.Diabet. Med. 2006; 23: 565-570
- Neonatal anthropometry: the thin-fat Indian baby. The Pune Maternal Nutrition Study.Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. 2003; 27: 173-180
World Health Organisation. Global strategy for infant and young children feeding 2003. Last accessed 12 November 2009. Available at http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/gs_infant feeding_text_eng.pdf.
- Early postnatal overfeeding and diabetes susceptibility.Exp. Clin. Endocrinol. 1990; 96: 301-306
- Undernutrition and growth restriction in pregnancy.Nestle Nutr. Workshop Ser. Pediatr. Program. 2008; 61: 103-121
- Growth assessment in aboriginal children: is there need for change?.Paediatr. Child Health. 2004; 9: 477-479
- Organizational principles to guide and define the child health care system and/or improve the health of all children.Pediatrics. 2003; 112: 424-430
World Health Organisation Child Growth Standards: Growth velocity based on weight, length and head circumference Methods and developmenet 2009. Last accessed 12 November 2009. Available at http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/velocity/tr3_velocity_report.pdf.
- Soft drinks in schools.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 152-154
- Distinct trajectories of leisure time physical activity and predictors of trajectory class membership: a 22 year cohort study.Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. 2008; 5: 57
- School-based physical activity programs for promoting physical activity and fitness in children and adolescents aged 6–18.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2009; 21: CD007651
- Psychological stress and obesity.J. Pediatr. 2008; 153: 839-933
- Reducing obesity and related chronic disease risk in children and youth: a synthesis of evidence with ‘best practice’ recommendations.Obes. Rev. 2006; 7: 7-66
- Diabetes mellitus and life-style for the primary prevention of diabetes mellitus: the role of diet.Br. J. Nutr. 2000; 84: S191-S194
- Effect of weight loss with lifestyle intervention on risk of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2102-2107
- Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350
- Effects of diet and exercise in preventing NIDMM in people with impaired glucose tolerance. The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 537-544
- Is oxidative stress the pathogenic mechanism underlying insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease? The common soil hypothesis revisited.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2004; 24: 816
- Prevention awareness counselling and evaluation (PACE) diabetes project: a mega multi-pronged program for diabetes awareness and prevention in South India (PACE-5).J. Assoc. Phys. India. 2008; 56: 429-435
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 1577-1589
- Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2003; 348: 383-393
- Amputation prevention initiative in South India—positive impact of foot care education.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 1019-1021
- Assessing the impact of complications on the costs of Type II diabetes.Diabetologia. 2002; 45: S13-S17
- Diabetes, prediabetes and cardiovascular risk: shifting the paradigm.Am. J. Med. 2005; 11: 939-947
IDF Global Treatment guidelines, 2005. Accessed on March 4, 2009, http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/IDF%20GGT2D.pdf.
- New global recommendations: a multidisciplinary approach to improving outcomes in diabetes.Prim. Care Diabetes. 2007; 1: 49-55
- Interventions to improve the management of diabetes in primary care, outpatient, and community settings: a systematic review.Diabetes Care. 2001; 24: 1821-1833
World Health Organisation Medicine Strategy: Countries at the core 2004–2007. Last accessed on 12 November 2009. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2004/WHO_EDM_2004.5.pdf.