- •To our knowledge this is the first study that has been adequately-powered to examine the association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D and HbA1c in children and adolescents with T1DM.
- •The association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D and HbA1c was not positive, calling for longitudinal studies to confirm these findings.
- •This study demonstrated the high prevalence of patients with low levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D specifically in healthy weight and Caucasian children and adolescents with T1DM.
- •These data suggest the need for monitoring of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in all youth with T1DM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice
- Vitamin D and human health: lessons from vitamin D receptor null mice.Endocr Rev. 2008; 29: 726-776https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2008-0004
- Vitamin D: a D-lightful health perspective.Nutr Rev. 2008; 66: S182-S194https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2008.00104.x
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, ethnicity, and blood pressure in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Hypertens. 2007; 20: 713-719https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjhyper.2007.01.017
- Prevalence and associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency in US children: NHANES 2001–2004.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: e362-e370https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-0051
- Associations of vitamin D intake with 25-hydroxyvitamin D in overweight and racially/ethnically diverse US children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1511-1516https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2013.05.025
- Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 1911-1930https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2011-0385
- Vitamin D levels, microvascular complications, and mortality in type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1081-1085https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-2459
- The association between ultraviolet B irradiance, vitamin D status and incidence rates of type 1 diabetes in 51 regions worldwide.Diabetologia. 2008; 51: 1391-1398https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-1061-5
- Vitamin D supplementation and diabetes-related autoimmunity in the ABIS study.Pediatr Diabetes. 2007; 8: 11-14https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-5448.2006.00223.x
- Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1500-1503https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(01)06580-1
- Vitamin D status is modestly associated with glycemia and indicators of lipid metabolism in French-Canadian children and adolescents.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 987-991https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.109.112250
- Variation by age group and seasonality at diagnosis of childhood IDDM in Europe. The EURODIAB ACE Study Group.Diabetologia. 1995; 38: 823-830
- 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 modulates expression of chemokines and cytokines in pancreatic islets: Implications for prevention of diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice.Endocrinology. 2005; 146: 1956-1964https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2004-1322
- 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 prevents insulitis in NOD mice.Diabetes. 1992; 41: 1491-1495
- Vitamin D deficiency in early life accelerates type 1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice.Diabetologia. 2004; 47: 451-462https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-004-1329-3
- A 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) analog enhances regulatory T-cells and arrests autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice.Diabetes. 2002; 51: 1367-1374
- Prevention of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3.Diabetologia. 1994; 37: 552-558
- Relationships between 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and plasma glucose and lipid levels in pediatric outpatients.J Pediatr. 2010; 156: 444-449https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2009.09.070
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, diabetes, and ethnicity in the third national health and nutrition examination survey.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 2813-2818
- Hypovitaminosis D is associated with insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 820-825
- Serum vitamin D and subsequent occurrence of type 2 diabetes.Epidemiology. 2008; 19: 666-671https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0b013e318176b8ad
- Vitamin D deficiency in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2011; 3: 179-183
- Vitamin D status and insulin requirements in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.J Pediatr Endocr Met. 2011; 24: 1037-1041
- Effect of vitamin D on HbA1c levels of children and adolescents with diabetes mellitus type 1.Minerva Pediatr. 2014; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Determination of 25-hydroxyvitamin D2 and 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in human plasma using high-pressure liquid chromatography.Anal Biochem. 1977; 80: 298-305
- Glycemic control in youth with diabetes: the SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.J Pediatr. 2009; 155 (668–72.e1-3)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2009.05.025
- A cross-sectional study of vitamin D and insulin resistance in children.Arch Dis Child. 2011; 96: 447-452https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2010.187591
- Risk factors for low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in otherwise healthy children and adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 150-158
- Significant vitamin D deficiency in youth with type 1 diabetes mellitus.J Pediatr. 2009; 154: 132-134https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2008.07.015
- Metabolic control and bone health in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2011; 2011: 13https://doi.org/10.1186/1687-9856-2011-13
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels among US children aged 1 to 11 years: do children need more vitamin D?.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 1404-1410https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-2041
- Vitamin D deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 266-281https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra070553
- Hypovitaminosis D in obese children and adolescents: relationship with adiposity, insulin sensitivity, ethnicity, and season.Metabolism. 2008; 57: 183-191https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2007.08.023